Poll

If you are a pure-breed Boston sports fans, vote for the loss that hurt the most

2007 New England Patriots - lost Superbowl after 16-0 season
10 (29.4%)
2010 Boston Celtics - lost Game 7 to Lakers
17 (50%)
2019 Boston Bruins - lost Game 7 to the Blues
1 (2.9%)
1986 Boston Red Sox - lost Game 7 to the Mets
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Most disappointing Championship loss  (Read 11483 times)

Re: Most disappointing Championship loss
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm kind of curious as to how old some of the voters are in this poll, as the '86 Red Sox team was basically from a different generation than the other teams on this list.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I was born in 76 so the 86 Sox loss didn't hold as much meaning to me as it did to my dad.

I picked the 2010 Celtics because well only sport and team i give a bleep about.
ok fine

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
At the time, that '03 ALCS loss was horrible.  Just an absolutely terrible feeling after that.   However, it obviously got tempered the following year.  But, at the time, that was as devastating a loss that I've been through.

2010 sucked.  Watching it slip away in the 4th quarter was like a slow death.  I still haven't brought myself to watch any of that game again.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm kind of curious as to how old some of the voters are in this poll, as the '86 Red Sox team was basically from a different generation than the other teams on this list.
This probably makes a huge difference. If you were sports cognizant in 1986, you know, that as big a story as Bird and the Celtics were that spring, Clemens and the Red Sox took this city by storm and that World Series was not just a local story but one of the biggest stories in all of sports for a long, long time. This loss broke the hearts of Sox fans from 7 to 100. People died of old age never knowing a Red Sox World Series title and their lasting memories were of the team that got within a strike of the title and no closer. So sad
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:26:23 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At the time, that '03 ALCS loss was horrible.  Just an absolutely terrible feeling after that.   However, it obviously got tempered the following year.  But, at the time, that was as devastating a loss that I've been through.

2010 sucked.  Watching it slip away in the 4th quarter was like a slow death.  I still haven't brought myself to watch any of that game again.

Yeah, literally the last time I have seen any footage of the game was on June 17th, 2010. No Sportscenter in the days to come, no re-watching/analyzing the recording, nothing. The Tyree catch gets played over and over to this day and I have learned to live with it, but apparently the 2010 Finals Game 7 just wasn't that big of deal - at least historically.

But I do understand the 1986 WS crowd. I was only 6 so I don't really have a leg to stand on here. The people that died between 1986 and 2004 died with disappointment in their hearts and hindsight won't save those folks.

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Yeah, literally the last time I have seen any footage of the game was on June 17th, 2010. No Sportscenter in the days to come, no re-watching/analyzing the recording, nothing. The Tyree catch gets played over and over to this day and I have learned to live with it, but apparently the 2010 Finals Game 7 just wasn't that big of deal - at least historically.

But I do understand the 1986 WS crowd. I was only 6 so I don't really have a leg to stand on here. The people that died between 1986 and 2004 died with disappointment in their hearts and hindsight won't save those folks.

Same here.  Never watched it again.  I actually tried to retire as a basketball fan.  I went the entire summer without looking at any websites or reading any basketball news.  I made it as far as the first pre-season game and then I caved.

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 03:47:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

They can't replay that—they'd have to show all of the horrible foul calls against Boston, as well as Gasol's up-and-down that wasn't called.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

I can see how that 2003 loss would be devastating, especially losing to the Yankees. That was one loss that never upset me because of the situation I was in at the time. I remember watching game 7 at Hasbro Children’s Hospital. My 4 month old daughter had surgery for her spine the day or two before. My wife and I stayed by her bedside the whole time during her recovery process at the hospital. When Boone hit the home run, I just turned and looked at my daughter, and knew she was all that mattered.

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I can see how that 2003 loss would be devastating, especially losing to the Yankees. That was one loss that never upset me because of the situation I was in at the time. I remember watching game 7 at Hasbro Children’s Hospital. My 4 month old daughter had surgery for her spine the day or two before. My wife and I stayed by her bedside the whole time during her recovery process at the hospital. When Boone hit the home run, I just turned and looked at my daughter, and knew she was all that mattered.
Have 100 TPs for touching my heart and knowing what's truly important in life.

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
That 2010 Celtics loss was absolutely devastating too. I can never bring myself to watch any of those games, and couldn't watch any sports related shows or radio for months. The refs gave that series to the Lakers. I remember the Lakers getting away with fouls on the defensive end, and on the very next possession the Celtics getting called for fouls on the same exact play the Lakers just got away with.

There are 3 NBA series that I truly believe were fixed by the NBA/refs. Dallas/Miami finals, 2010 Boston/LA finals, Sacramento/LA WCF.

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This isn't even close! Patriots had a chance at history with an undefeated season and lost to a team the would have beat 9 out of 10 times! I didn't watch, read, listen to any sports for 2 months after that game. Just writing this is p---ing me off!

That Pats team would not have beaten the Giants 9 out of 10 times. The Pats only beat the Giants 38-35 to finish the regular season undefeated and that was a home game. On a nuetral site, the Pats lost to those same Giants. Some teams just have your number, no matter how good you think you are. That Giants team was far too physical, as the Patiots were more of a finesse team that season.

That game was in NY and the Patriots were a machine that year. Belichick got out coached in that game that's why they lost. They slowed down the offense allowing the Giants to sub their defensive line continually. Going with 7 step drop backs trying to force it to Moss. Once they went hurry up offense with short passes they scored. They just took WAY to long to change it! :-[

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Thank you. I went from the ultimate high to the ultimate low on the day my daughter was born. I was crying uncontrollable out of happiness when she was delivered. A few hours later, she went for her exam, and the head of the hospital paid us a visit. I instantly knew it wasn't good news, as there is no way this person would see every patient. After the doctor broke the news to us, I soaked it in, and realized what it truly means to be a parent. No matter what, this will always be my daughter and I would do anything to make her happy and safe.

Fast forward to today, and my daughter has been playing travel softball for years, has been a varsity starter on her high school team in her freshman and sophmore years, and just made honorable mention all division. Not bad, considering she would have had issues walking if it wasn't for her successful surgery.

I apologize for vering off topic, but I couldn't be more proud of my daughter (and son btw).

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This isn't even close! Patriots had a chance at history with an undefeated season and lost to a team the would have beat 9 out of 10 times! I didn't watch, read, listen to any sports for 2 months after that game. Just writing this is p---ing me off!

That Pats team would not have beaten the Giants 9 out of 10 times. The Pats only beat the Giants 38-35 to finish the regular season undefeated and that was a home game. On a nuetral site, the Pats lost to those same Giants. Some teams just have your number, no matter how good you think you are. That Giants team was far too physical, as the Patiots were more of a finesse team that season.
The Pats were up by 10 in the regular season and the game was over. Giants scored a late TD to make it look respectable. The Pats moved the ball at will.
As for the SB, some key OL (Mankins for one with a torn ACL) were injured. It's why NYG got so much pressure up the middle.
Also, 3 things happened that could've clinched a win: The helmet catch. On the same play Jarvis Green(I believe) was blatantly held on the play with no penalty. The dude had his WHOLE arm around his neck & it was impossible to miss. Then Seymour had Manning IN THE GRASP which gets called 98 times out of a hundred. Oh yeah, did I mention the helmet catch? There was also a dropped interception or am I thinking of the 2011 Super Bowl? Another fkn miracle for the NYG.
So, I don't want to hear the Pats couldn't beat them 9 out 10 times. That season their offense was a wagon. That DL just happened to bring it and the game plan wasn't adjusted. Nor should it have been, just a little extra help up the middle. ****F! Now you got all p---ssed off again. :/

Edit: and the regular season game was played at Giants stadium, not Foxboro.

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Thank you. I went from the ultimate high to the ultimate low on the day my daughter was born. I was crying uncontrollable out of happiness when she was delivered. A few hours later, she went for her exam, and the head of the hospital paid us a visit. I instantly knew it wasn't good news, as there is no way this person would see every patient. After the doctor broke the news to us, I soaked it in, and realized what it truly means to be a parent. No matter what, this will always be my daughter and I would do anything to make her happy and safe.

Fast forward to today, and my daughter has been playing travel softball for years, has been a varsity starter on her high school team in her freshman and sophmore years, and just made honorable mention all division. Not bad, considering she would have had issues walking if it wasn't for her successful surgery.

I apologize for vering off topic, but I couldn't be more proud of my daughter (and son btw).

You made my day, johnnygreen. TP my friend and God bless you and your family.

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Giants win that '08 SB 100 times out of 100.  Once the Giants had a look at them in the regular season they had the Pats figured out.  Also, Eli was simply Brady's kryptonite, as was proven over the subsequent years and SB victory.