Author Topic: Perk shares reason why Rondo hates Ray  (Read 5747 times)

Perk shares reason why Rondo hates Ray
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: Kendrick Perkins
It was a point in time where Rondo was up there as probably like top 5 Point Guards in the league. You had Derrick Rose, you had Chris Paul, and then the next person that was coming to mind was Rondo. Like a Tony Parker, but Rondo was right there. He was making multiple All-Star Games, breaking assists records, getting triple-doubles, things to that nature. And it was the 2009-2010 season, no 2008-2009 where they came up that New Orleans was - Chris Paul wanted out, I guess. And it was rumors started to circulate and it was brought to the table that what if we trade Rondo and get CP. And KG and Paul was like ''nah, we ain't doing that''. As great as CP is, man, we just won a championship, we rocking with Rondo. He's giving us everything that we need, but Ray was like ''nah, let's do it''. And what happened was, Rondo ended up finding out about it and that was it from there. It was even to the point where we brought boxing gloves to the gym and they got on boxing gloves. Ray and Rondo. Like they put on the gloves and we made them box it out for like two rounds. We used to have fights all the time, but that's the thing I think and Rondo never got over that.

Here's the actual video: https://streamable.com/gvd94q
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:46:06 AM by Jvalin »

Re: Perk shares reason why Rondo hates Ray
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that perk might be off on some of his details. The CP3 trade was in 2011.  In 2009, Rondo had yet to make the all-star team.

I can believe that that happened in the 2011 off-season, but I think the Rondo beef preexisted that. The trade rumors might be what cemented it though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ray was right.  Boston absolutely should have traded Rondo for Paul.  Probably have another title if that happened.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ray was right.  Boston absolutely should have traded Rondo for Paul.  Probably have another title if that happened.

New Orleans turned us down.  They wanted Curry, followed by Minnesota’s pick.  Rondo had developed a reputation as uncoachable and a difficult teammate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the reason Rondo and Ray clashed is simple; they're both super eccentric, particular, control-freak type guys.  Also Ray was the oldest guy on the team amongst the core guys and Rondo was the youngest. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
everyone already knows the reason

- Also how Allen never showed up for events while the other guys all did for his

- Joining the enemy Miami Heat team

But they could have not won the 2008 championship without each other

One day, they will realize how big that was

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Agree. Maybe 2!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Agree. Maybe 2!

Would've won if KG and Perk didn't get hurt in 2009 and 2010

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think that perk might be off on some of his details. The CP3 trade was in 2011.  In 2009, Rondo had yet to make the all-star team.

I can believe that that happened in the 2011 off-season, but I think the Rondo beef preexisted that. The trade rumors might be what cemented it though.

Perk is probably remembering the details wrong, but Rondo absolutely blew up in the 2008-09 playoffs (w/o KG) putting together triple-double after triple-double and often carrying the team. Of course he would later go on to make All-Star teams in future seasons, but he was pushing superstar status during those playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The idea that replacing Rondo with CP3 would have made the Celtics a champion sometime after 2011 is extremely flawed. Chris Paul has been surrounded by a lot of talent in his career and never played a second in the NBA Finals. Not sure adding CP3 to old Ray, Pierce and KG assures any title.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 08:58:18 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Perk is probably remembering the details wrong

The CP3 trade happened in 2011 but rumors of Paul wanting out of New Orleans first emerged in the summer of 2010 which was right after our heartbreaking Finals loss. Jeff Clark posted an article about it on the old site. https://www.celticsblog.com/2010/7/21/1581373/rumor-chris-paul-wants-out-of-new

Perk's recollection makes it seem like he was still part of the team at the time so it's certainly possible the discussion may have come up at some point in 2010-11. Remember there were lots of stars moving around in trades that season following the Heat's Big Three formation (D-Will to the Nets, Carmelo to the Knicks, etc.).

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
The idea that replacing Rondo with CP3 would have made the Celtics a champion sometime after 2011 is extremely flawed. Chris Paul has been surrounded by a lot of talent in his career and never played a second in the NBA Finals. Not sure adding CP3 to old Ray, Pierce and KG assures any title.

I don't think it would have either. However, I think CP3 on the Celtics would have made it easier for Danny to retool with other stars alongside Paul rather than rebuild.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think it would've improved those early 2010s squads' title odds. Paul led viable title-winning offences at his apex in the middle of the decade and even though 2011 and 2012 Chris Paul wasn't at the level of his 2008/2009 or mid 2010s form, he was still a top point guard who would've killed it with an aging but still excellent triumvirate of KG/Pierce/Allen - their skillsets would've meshed perfectly imo, with the only concern being whether Pierce would be willing to scale down his offensive load next to a ball dominant superstar.

Maybe they don't win a title against that incredibly hot Mavericks team in 2011 and a peaking Heatles squad in 2012 and 2013 (without even mentioning the KD/Harden/RW Thunder and the ensemble Spurs), but I think they would've had better odds at winning it all.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Agree. Maybe 2!

Would've won if KG and Perk didn't get hurt in 2009 and 2010
THIS.  Some people are overthinking the question.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Do you remember CP3 back then?

I'm salivating thinking how much even better he could have been on defense with KG holding him accountable for every possession.

And even if his defense was never better than Rondo's....  His combination of shooting, scoring, and playmaking would have catapulted our offense to the top of the league.  That's guaranteed.

A lack of spacing was the only thing stalling our offense.  CP3 was literally the ideal upgrade for our team because he would have given us a lot better spacing without skipping a beat on defense or playmaking.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:44:37 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale