Author Topic: Herald: Orlando willing to match contract, Celtics end pursuit of Tobias Harris  (Read 11321 times)

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think this is just a front for a sign and trade between Danny and Orlando. Orlando knows that Boston wants to sign Harris bad to give fans some type of hope for the future. They are going to match the max then send Harris to Boston so they can get something in return. Or Danny is just completely wasting all of our cap space for no reason. I'm just going to wait till the season. I can't be anymore disappointed as a Celtic fan. As a general rule of thumb let's not claim fireworks if we are not for sure going to make a splash.

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Rats.  Not a huge surprise.

Plan B: Trade for Gallinari and Wilson Chandler

o dear god no thank you

They are both expiring contracts and fill needs.  If we're gonna try to win games, might as well go all in.

why the heck would we bother trying to win at this point?  i mean ya we want to try to win but we don't want to actually win, isn't that what's best for us right now?  we're sitting as a 30-35 win team as constructed right now, what good are we doing anyone by moving that number up into the 37-42 range?

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
 :(

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rats.  Not a huge surprise.

Plan B: Trade for Gallinari and Wilson Chandler

o dear god no thank you

They are both expiring contracts and fill needs.  If we're gonna try to win games, might as well go all in.

why the heck would we bother trying to win at this point?  i mean ya we want to try to win but we don't want to actually win, isn't that what's best for us right now?  we're sitting as a 30-35 win team as constructed right now, what good are we doing anyone by moving that number up into the 37-42 range?

Beats me, but we just signed a 28 year old role player for 12 million a year for a slight improvement at a stacked position, so looks like that's the plan.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Herald: Celtics have ended pursuit of Tobias Harris
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended. The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Might be kind of old news, but still depressing none the less...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Herald: Celtics have ended pursuit of Tobias Harris
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At least we have one year of Amir and Jerebko to look forward to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Ainge is starting to sound like Robert Kraft.  We need to spend money on a starting small forward who's getting better each year.  Oh wait he's only 22.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
This could be posturing for a sign-and-trade.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I realize that giving max deals to Harris and Monroe, which I think would have been possible if we used a first to get rid of Wallace, would have significantly limited the moves we could make over the next two seasons.  But I think Ainge is valuing future flexibility too much over improving the team right now.

Mike

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I realize that giving max deals to Harris and Monroe, which I think would have been possible if we used a first to get rid of Wallace, would have significantly limited the moves we could make over the next two seasons.  But I think Ainge is valuing future flexibility too much over improving the team right now.

Mike

Using cap space, we still have about $15m to offer with the simple move of stretching Wallace.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is just depressing

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If Orlando's going to match, why is this even a debate?  I get the disappointment over not adding any impact players, but making moves to free up cap space that will promptly be made meaningless when the Magic match would be pointless.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If Orlando's going to match, why is this even a debate?  I get the disappointment over not adding any impact players, but making moves to free up cap space that will promptly be made meaningless when the Magic match would be pointless.

In part because if S&T possible, it can be accomplished without sending salary to Orlando.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

They might be throwing that out there to scare teams off.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This was in Rotoworld...

While the signing of Jae Crowder essentially ruled out their need for Brewer, the Celtics had a certain financial parameter in mind when it came to Tobias Harris and have bowed out now that it's become clear that Orlando will match any offer that Harris receives in restricted free agency. This isn't news that most Celtics fans want to hear, but it's also worth noting that the Celtics have not reached out to Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez, or Gerald Green since the beginning of the free agency period.