Author Topic: Ted Williams' severed and frozen head has been mutilated at lab.  (Read 11415 times)

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/214232/report-ted-williams-body-abused-cryogenics-facility

Quote from:  WEEI.COM
According to a report in today's New York Daily News, workers at the Arizona facility where Ted Williams' body is stored abused Williams' remains. A soon-to-be-released book by a former Alcor Life Extension Foundation executive, Larry Johnson, claims staff there took a bat to Williams' head after it was severed from the Red Sox legend's body.

From the Daily News story:

Johnson writes that in July 2002, shortly after the Red Sox slugger died at age 83, technicians with no medical certification gleefully photographed and used crude equipment to decapitate the majors' last .400 hitter.

Williams' severed head was then frozen, and even used for batting practice by a technician trying to dislodge it from a tuna fish can.

I don't think theres anything that makes me more upset.

Re: Ted Williams' severed and frozen head has been mutilated at lab.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Pretty disgusting.  I saw that this morning, and purposefully avoided posting it, because I didn't want to make fellow Sox fans as upset as I was.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Hopefully it isn't true, but if it is, there will be a serious lawsuit.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Pretty disgusting.  I saw that this morning, and purposefully avoided posting it, because I didn't want to make fellow Sox fans as upset as I was.

I'm unbeleivably upset. The thought of him being there at all makes me mad, nevermind this...  :'(

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I don't like people... that's so messed up.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This really doesn't make sense to me, it can't possibly be true, right? Man, this is quite disturbing... feels almost like murder, isn't it murder?

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:35:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
This really doesn't make sense to me, it can't possibly be true, right? Man, this is quite disturbing... feels almost like murder, isn't it murder?

Nope, it's not murder.  In Arizona, it looks like the sentence for desecrating the dead is between 1 and 3.75 years, if convicted.  There may very well be a statute of limitations, though.

The same goes for any lawsuit by the family; they may be out of time to sue (although there's an argument that the statute shouldn't run until they knew or should have known about the misconduct.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Nope, it's not murder.  In Arizona, it looks like the sentence for desecrating the dead is between 1 and 3.75 years, if convicted.  There may very well be a statute of limitations, though.

The same goes for any lawsuit by the family; they may be out of time to sue (although there's an argument that the statute shouldn't run until they knew or should have known about the misconduct.)

But I guess that if he was frozen with the believe that he could be revived in the future, if this mutilations caused enough damage, I would guess that someone could make the case for murder.

I don't know, I think that would be an interesting topic of discussion.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

But I guess that if he was frozen with the believe that he could be revived in the future, if this mutilations caused enough damage, I would guess that someone could make the case for murder.

I think you *might* be able to make that argument, if somebody was technically still alive when they were frozen (although I don't think the current criminal law would embrace it.)  However, in the case of Williams he was dead before decapitation. 

More likely, it's something a jury might weigh in a civil suit.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

I think you *might* be able to make that argument, if somebody was technically still alive when they were frozen (although I don't think the current criminal law would embrace it.)  However, in the case of Williams he was dead before decapitation. 

If this place exists under the belief that future generations will be able to come up with the technology to revive people, then THEY do this... i think you have a pretty good argument.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

(time to sound like a first year and get corrected by a real lawyer :D)

You think the family, assuming the statute is still running, could make a case for Intentional or reckless infliction of emotional distress?

That's what i would go for, civilly. If they can show some sort of severity for distress (and i would think a loved ones body being intentionally mutilated this way by those trusted with it's care might get you around the absolute presences requirement)

It seems like they might be able to prove a ton of Extreme and outrageous conduct and get punitive damages, and mabey even hold alcor liable for negligence for employing this scumbags without supervision while they are at it.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
ugh, just hearing words like intentional infliction of emotional distress and the like are giving me flashbacks to the bar exam.  I think i'll avoid this thread now, haha

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
ugh, just hearing words like intentional infliction of emotional distress and the like are giving me flashbacks to the bar exam.  I think i'll avoid this thread now, haha

Dear god, we're going over it bar review now. I forgot how much I hated Torts.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/214232/report-ted-williams-body-abused-cryogenics-facility

Quote from:  WEEI.COM
According to a report in today's New York Daily News, workers at the Arizona facility where Ted Williams' body is stored abused Williams' remains. A soon-to-be-released book by a former Alcor Life Extension Foundation executive, Larry Johnson, claims staff there took a bat to Williams' head after it was severed from the Red Sox legend's body.

From the Daily News story:

Johnson writes that in July 2002, shortly after the Red Sox slugger died at age 83, technicians with no medical certification gleefully photographed and used crude equipment to decapitate the majors' last .400 hitter.

Williams' severed head was then frozen, and even used for batting practice by a technician trying to dislodge it from a tuna fish can.

I don't think theres anything that makes me more upset.

This is absolutely terrible.  There better be some repurcusions.
Celtics fan for life.