Author Topic: I want Hanley Ramirez  (Read 14141 times)

I want Hanley Ramirez
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I want Hanley Ramirez and I want him now.  I don't care what it costs us.  I want him playing next to Pedroia in the NEXT game.  I can't wait.  Get him now Theo.  NOW.

This is my first Red Sox post, so please forgive my trade attempt deficiencies:

Josh Beckett, Lugo, and a young pitching stud for Hanley Ramirez.

There's no trade I'd refuse, however....

Re: I want Hanley Ramirez
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Haha?  None?

Youks, Pedroia, Lester for Hanley

What about that one?  ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

So basically a trade back?

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
You would give up Beckett... and another young pitcher?

I think I'd rather have a great pitching staff all around than a great group of hitters...

Current Boston Red Sox vs. Current New York Yankees.
Pitching wins.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I want Hanley Ramirez and I want him now.  I don't care what it costs us.  I want him playing next to Pedroia in the NEXT game.  I can't wait.  Get him now Theo.  NOW.

This is my first Red Sox post, so please forgive my trade attempt deficiencies:

I wouldn't give them beckett back, he's pretty clutch.

I'd give them a prospect or three around the trade deadline to get him back with us though.

Stepping back, that may have been the only trade i remember where even though the outgoing  sox prospect (hanley) lived up to his potential and became a star, yet i wouldn't undo the trade that got us beckett and lowell for anything.

A rare win-win trade for both teams in baseball.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Haha?  None?

Youks, Pedroia, Lester for Hanley

What about that one?  ;)

No thanks :)  But I'm obsessed with our infield being Lowell (huge Lowell fan so I wouldn't undo the trade that was made), Ramirez, Pedroia, Youkilis.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I think I'd rather have a great pitching staff all around than a great group of hitters...

Pitching wins.

Yeah, I'd give up Beckett for him.  Obviously expert could talk me down from Beckett plus best pitching prospect, but Beckett plus slightly less than god-like prospect, yes. 

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Sox can afford to do something like Positional Prospect, 1 Starter (not sure if the marlins would want anyone besides Lester who is probably untouchable), 1 Pitching prospect, plus our Lowrie.

I always wished we could have kept Hanley in that deal, and given two other guys. Youk, Hanley, Pedroia would have been awesome.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Hanley is a terrible defensive SS and will eventually move to CF, if we were to trade for him id hope they get to play CF. Id also happily give up Ellsbury in any package for Hanley, by giving him up you would be able to hold on to one of Buchholz or Lars Anderson because the Marlins would demand both of them at the very least if we didnt include Ellsbury.

I'm not sure if the Marlins would need Ellsbury with Maybin as their future CF but with that huge park maybe they'd move one of them to LF or RF. Id do a package of Ellsbury/Bowden/Lars/Yamaico Navarro or something like that. I think the Marlins would prefer Lars to Buchholz because they really need a slugging 1B since they traded Jacobs and have Ross Gload there now, they also have a bunch of young, talented pitchers already. Of course a deal like this is more likely over the off-season since Hanley has yet to play CF and would need time to learn like when BJ Upton made the move.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Pitching wins.

Yeah, I'd give up Beckett for him.  Obviously expert could talk me down from Beckett plus best pitching prospect, but Beckett plus slightly less than god-like prospect, yes. 

Why would you give up a dominate ace for hitting though?

that goes against all baseball logic.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Terrible defensive shortstop.  No thanks.  Did you see him against the Red Sox?  Not a Fenway shortstop imo.  Seems like a dumb player.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Pitching wins.

Though I wouldn't do the trade unless Ramirez was going to be made a center fielder, but how dominating has Beckett really been as a Red Sox?  Sure in the 07 playoffs he was great, but other than that he hasn't been dominating by any means.  His career numbers are 96 and 65.  He's had one good year with the Sox so far. 2 average ones, and this one he's been great lately(minus last start), but he put some clunkers up too.  I don't think Beckett is in the dominating tier of pitchers, he is not at the Santana, Sabathia level.
do it

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Terrible defensive shortstop.  No thanks.  Did you see him against the Red Sox?  Not a Fenway shortstop imo.  Seems like a dumb player.

why does he have to play short?

we have a glaring hole at DH available.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Pitching wins.

Though I wouldn't do the trade unless Ramirez was going to be made a center fielder, but how dominating has Beckett really been as a Red Sox?  Sure in the 07 playoffs he was great, but other than that he hasn't been dominating by any means.  His career numbers are 96 and 65.  He's had one good year with the Sox so far. 2 average ones, and this one he's been great lately(minus last start), but he put some clunkers up too.  I don't think Beckett is in the dominating tier of pitchers, he is not at the Santana, Sabathia level.

I definitely think he is at the Sabathia level- as he should have won the Cy Young award in 08. I will take a clutch playoff performer over a regular season performer anyday (Beckett has basically been both). He has the whole Curt Schilling thing going on, which is awesome- since we are basically in the playoffs every year anyway.

Tim Lincecum and Santana are probably better than Beckett, but that's about it- and what have they done in the playoffs?

As for Hanley, that would be freakin' awesome, but I don't see it happening anytime soon...

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think this is one of the worst Ideas I have seen on this blog in a long time.  He is a terrible defensive shortstop which is our teams biggest weakness.  You are also talking about trading away a proven pitcher, who is far better than SABATHIA, BTW.... a guy that has won in the playoffs and already produced us a ring, and then you wanna trade more prospects?  regardless of the fact that one of our top five prospects is a shortstop and we are currently paying Lowrie and Green next to nothing to play the position..   This just makes no sense.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16