Author Topic: CC Sabathia signs with Yankee's  (Read 7269 times)

CC Sabathia signs with Yankee's
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3759182

I dont begrudge him for signing with the yanks or for talking the most money, because that's his prerogative, but I am disappointed.  For a guy who said, in very specific terms, I want to play on the west coast, I want to play in the NL, etc, he essentially sold himself for the most money.  thats disappointing. even though the Brewers offer was 40 mill less, it was a year less, and breaking down the AAV it was only like 3 mill different a year.  He sold himself for the highest deal.

Re: CC Sabathia signs with Yankee's
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I could be wrong, but I'm not scared of that signing.  Sure, I would've preferred he stayed in the NL, but with that guys physique, that's just an injury waiting to happen.  Especially with the way the Brewers road him during the last half of the season.  He's also never showed the same dominance in the postseason as he has in the regular season, albeit with a much smaller sample size.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Close to an agreement is not the same as "signs with the Yankees". With that said, I don't mind the Yankees getting him. Tying up the ammount of money they're throwing at thim makes it less probable that they'll heavily go after other players that the Red Sox might be interested in. So in a way, it helps the Red Sox and their offseason pursuits.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I guess it was 7 years, 160 million.

Totally all about the money.  disappointing.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Close to an agreement is not the same as "signs with the Yankees". With that said, I don't mind the Yankees getting him. Tying up the ammount of money they're throwing at thim makes it less probable that they'll heavily go after other players that the Red Sox might be interested in. So in a way, it helps the Red Sox and their offseason pursuits.

It is being reported on ESPN tv that it is done.  Hasnt been signed yet, but done. 

The amount will not stop them from still going after others.  They are still pushing for AJ Burnett and Lowe.  I wouldnt be surprised to see them sign one of those guys still.

it's the Yanks, I am not saying they will, but if they wanted to, they could still be the high bidder for Tex. they cleared a lot of payroll this offseason and have endless cash to spend.

As for CC injury concerns:  I agree they are there, but I dont think it will be a major factor in the first few years.  And I think the yanks are ok with that.  I think if they got a few dominant seasons out of him, they would be ok with an injury from the cow.  we'll see.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm looking forward to when C.C. turns into the next Bartolo Colon with that hefty contract.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Actually it was the NY Post that broke the story:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sports/yankees/yanks_close_in_on_sabathia_deal_143481.htm

If the Yankees can also get Sheets, they become a favorite to win the AL East whether or not the Sox get Teixeira.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:25:55 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
and the Sox will sign Tex and the world will complain about the haves outspending the have-nots

lather, rinse, repeat
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
yay Yankees...They'll sign Lowe and Burnett too....and they'll still suck
Yup

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Who can blame Sabathia?  7 years, $160 million vs. the Brewers reported offer of 5 years, $100 million (with money deferred, making it worth even less).  $60 million is a heck of a lot of money (and again, it's really even more than that.)

Now, the Sox just need to land Tex.  The only negative of this would be if the Angels -- after missing out on Sabathia and losing K-Rod -- decided to go crazy with Texeira.  Let's hope not.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Who can blame Sabathia?  7 years, $160 million vs. the Brewers reported offer of 5 years, $100 million (with money deferred, making it worth even less).  $60 million is a heck of a lot of money (and again, it's really even more than that.)

on a 5 year deal, he would be a FA again at 33, in the NL, where he is significantly better. As such, he would be set up for another monster deal.  not to mention his happiness of being in the nl, where he can hit...

At 35 coming out of the deal with the yanks, he may not have another big deal coming his way.

7 160 is like 23 mill a season.  5 100 is 20.  factor in the cost of living in NY compared to milwaukee, and the difference shrinks further.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3759182

I dont begrudge him for signing with the yanks or for talking the most money, because that's his prerogative, but I am disappointed.  For a guy who said, in very specific terms, I want to play on the west coast, I want to play in the NL, etc, he essentially sold himself for the most money.  thats disappointing. even though the Brewers offer was 40 mill less, it was a year less, and breaking down the AAV it was only like 3 mill different a year.  He sold himself for the highest deal.

I really can't blame Sabathia.  He gets good money and plays in a city that will appreciate his talents..... while he has them.  I echo CW35 in that the signing really doesn't worry me.  I think Sabathia is over rated, and his weight will very quickly become a problem, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
John Heyman at SI is reporting that they are close to signing Lowe as well.  4 years, 68-72 million.  That would be incredibly overpaying, but it would make their rotation pretty [dang] solid.

CC, Wang, Lowe, Joba, Hughes...

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

on a 5 year deal, he would be a FA again at 33, in the NL, where he is significantly better. As such, he would be set up for another monster deal.  not to mention his happiness of being in the nl, where he can hit...

At 35 coming out of the deal with the yanks, he may not have another big deal coming his way.

7 160 is like 23 mill a season.  5 100 is 20.  factor in the cost of living in NY compared to milwaukee, and the difference shrinks further.

That's if Sabathia stays injury free and dominant.  What if he has a career-ending injury tomorrow?  What if he turns into Barry Zito or Mike Hampton?  This way, he has in excess of $60 million guaranteed money.  It's hard to fault him for that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

That's if Sabathia stays injury free and dominant.  What if he has a career-ending injury tomorrow?  What if he turns into Barry Zito or Mike Hampton?  This way, he has in excess of $60 million guaranteed money.  It's hard to fault him for that.

It's certainly true.  injury or not, I doubt he has a career ender. but thats just my opinion.

anyway, I guess we know the price at Which CC values his happiness.  60 million.  I guess I just had hoped CC would sign where he was going to be happy, since he was going to be well compensated and still in a position to gain another huge contract.  oh well. he isnt the first, he wont be the last.