Author Topic: Giddens has monster line in OT loss  (Read 16689 times)

Re: Giddens has monster line in OT loss
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 12:44:45 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Giddens has to continue to work on his handle, refine his off-the-dribble jumper, and FTs...mainly, he needs to get up to pro level speed and decision making, but he's got a complete game that needs minor polish...

Walker has been a TO machine thus far, which is in line with his questionable decision-making from college...he tends to over-commit to a move and forces things that aren't there...but he's smart and works hard, so I believe he'll improve his decision making rapidly as he works to develop and refine his game.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:52 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
It seems that Giddens might really dominate that league. But isn't that what first round picks are supposed to do in the NBDL? At least that's what Don Nelson thinks.

Gerald Green didn't dominate when he was in the Dleague.
So maybe that means he shouldn't have been a first round pick, sorta like Patrick O'Bryant. Maybe, Nelson has a point. If you can't dominate the NBDL when you are a first round draft pick then obviously the pick was a mistake in the first place. That's what he felt about POB and maybe he's right.

How did this thread become about Patrick O'Bryant? We get it okay? You hate the guy.

Anyways, I wanted Giddens in the draft over Walker actually because of his projection as a stellar defender. I look at a future possible backcourt of Rondo and Giddens and I think they could just create havoc. After a tough preseason it's good to see him settling in and showing off his skills. That midrange shot is gonna be big for him. I know when he comes uup he's gonna have to play more off the ball but I'd love to see him coming off curls and screens and being able to make decisions that way because he's clearly not a selfish basketball player.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:31 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Even though its early, Ive also liked Giddens maturity in regards to being sent down to the NBDL.  He has said and done all the right things so far and has been a team player.  When we first started hearing that he was having a hard time picking things up in practice, and then he was the first one to be sent to the Dleague, the first thought that entered my head was, lets see how he handles it.  So far hes done a great job.  Doesnt seem like a big deal, but given Giddens attitude issues from the past which is the reason he was able to fall to us in the draft to begin with, it's still worth mentioning and being satisfied with.

Greg

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 08:46:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Didn't want to create another thread, but Walker and Giddens had good games once again apparently, Giddens in particular:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20081205/RENUTA/recap.html

OREM, Utah, Dec. 5, 2008 -- J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker combined for 43 points to lead the Utah Flash to its first home win of the season, 101-81, over the expansion Reno Bighorns Friday at the Mckay Events Center.

Giddens led all scorers with 24 points, while Walker chipped in 19. Entering the game, the duo of Boston Celtics assignees has averaged a combined 45.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, 4.0 steals and 3.7 blocked shots per game through the Flash’s first three contests.

“We are just excited about getting to play again, and we are working on our game.” Walker said. “The whole time in Boston we were waiting for an opportunity to play, and we are glad to get that opportunity here.”

The Bighorns, who trailed by as many as 18 points in the first half, rallied in the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth period to whittle the Flash lead to six points.

An 8-2 Reno run in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter cut the Flash’s lead to 81-75. But Giddens , who scored 10 fourth-quarter points, led the Flash’s offensive surge in the final seven minutes -- scoring  eight of the team's first nine points at the front end of a 20-6 Utah run to close out the game.

I always forget to catch this games online.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
In addition to Giddens 24 points on 11-16, he had 9 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Late in games they have been putting the ball in Giddens' hands which I think is great for his confidence as that was how it was at UNM as well. If he comes back up hopefully his confidence remains intact so he can make some plays and just attacks the rim when the ball gets swung his way. I think he's gonna be a great player for this team eventually.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good games for both players again. The only thing i don't like seeing under giddens stats is the number of turnovers he accumulates. 4 plus the past two or three games . Thats pretty much a big no in the celtics new system

Walker on the other hand less than 2 average

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Good games for both players again. The only thing i don't like seeing under giddens stats is the number of turnovers he accumulates. 4 plus the past two or three games . Thats pretty much a big no in the celtics new system

Giddens is averaging 3.5 turnovers, Walker 4.25. And Giddens is handling the ball more, according to the recaps. I'll try to catch tonight's game.

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Giddens is averaging 3.5 turnovers, Walker 4.25. And Giddens is handling the ball more, according to the recaps. I'll try to catch tonight's game.

I'm fine with the JR turnovers. He's handling the ball a lot more than he would here.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Don't the Celtics lead the NBA in turnovers per game? I think this is another sign that Giddens was MADE for this system.  ;)