Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68734 times)

Re: LiAngelo Ball arrested in China (update: Trump asks President Xi to help)
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trump spending his/USA cred on UCLA shoplifters instead of North Korea. Good deal

I for one don't have a problem with him saving some young men that made a really bad decision and think he deserves credit for this act.

North Korea was not contained for the last few administrations.   They did not develop all this technology over night.

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-bush-clinton-obama-trump-649522

Funny how it was ok when Pres. Obama said :
In April 2014, Obama stated, while visiting South Korea, that the U.S. “will not hesitate to use our military might” when it came to defending allies. This came around the time the North, which just a few years prior had transitioned from Kim Jong Il to Kim Jong Un, was on the verge of a fourth nuclear test, The Guardian reported.

I don't think Pres Trump has helped matters much.   But NK is not solely his fault.

« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If we didn't know the three kids, I think most people would just say they were acting like stupid kids (which clearly they are).

Add in Lavar Ball's kid and now the media wants blood.
hes not just a kid. First off he’s over 18 and in college. At what point do we gain adulthood and adult responsibilities? Liangelo lives in a mansion and his brother owns a Lamborghini. He is wealthy and decides to steal. What Does that say about his IQ

Legally, you are right. Biologically, their brains are less than fully developed. Go to a college this weekend. Any college. You will see people 22 years old and younger act like stupid kids. It is not a rare occurrence.
"Don't steal stuff" is such a low bar to clear that I don't think you can use age as a mitigating circumstance.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cant LV exec intervene here and not press charges?

This is silly... I cant believe Liangelo tried to steal

Was prob one of his friends

Why can’t you believe it? Because privileged kids don’t commit crimes?

Yes and doing it in China out of all places

How dumb can you be?

Stealing is a low life move
So the privileged don't steal? That's completely wrong. White collar crime is real. The privileged steal all the time.

« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Trump spending his/USA cred on UCLA shoplifters instead of North Korea. Good deal

I for one don't have a problem with him saving some young men that made a really bad decision and think he deserves credit for this act.

North Korea was not contained for the last few administrations.   They did not develop all this technology over night.

In April 2014, Obama stated, while visiting South Korea, that the U.S. “will not hesitate to use our military might” when it came to defending allies. This came around the time the North, which just a few years prior had transitioned from Kim Jong Il to Kim Jong Un, was on the verge of a fourth nuclear test, The Guardian reported.

I don't think Pres Trump has helped matters much.   But NK is not solely his fault.
just curious, but saving the kids from what? the last i heard they would sit in a nice hotel for 20 day or so, then be sent back to the US and not be allowed into china.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I made some dumb decisions as an 18 year old so I understand how these kids could do the same. To me the biggest problem is that while shoplifting is a poor decision, stealing in a foreign country is especially stupid.  I would hope/imagine that any of these schools playing games overseas would sit their players down and have a clear discussion on how to behave and possible repercussions of breaking the laws in whatever country you are in.  If UCLA did not have tbis conversation with their team shame on them.  If they did then extra shame on these players.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How dumb can you be?

So the privileged don't steal? That's completely wrong. White collar crime is real. The privileged steal all the time.

I agree

Im talking about this particularly situation though

Lavar looks like he has a hot temper too

« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Would trump help any American kid caught shop lifting? My guess is not , he helped because this case became very public .

« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

How dumb can you be?

he never said privileged don’t steal, he was emphasizing how void  of intelligence it is to steal from communist China. Sidenote: stealing glasses at a Chinese mall isn’t a white collar crime

« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How dumb can you be?

he never said privileged don’t steal, he was emphasizing how void  of intelligence it is to steal from communist China. Sidenote: stealing glasses at a Chinese mall isn’t a white collar crime
Actually he answered Roy's question: because privileged kids don't commit crimes? with a yes. So he admitted that he didn't think the privileged committed crimes. And while pointing out how wrong he was a brought up white collar crime as just one example of where the privileged do steal.

TB later acknowledged that he was only referring to this case but that was not evident from his earlier posts.

« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
just curious, but saving the kids from what? the last i heard they would sit in a nice hotel for 20 day or so, then be sent back to the US and not be allowed into china.

Yeah, because China is the gold standard for human rights.

Here is advice for Americans arrested in China it's not the same due process like we have here, of course, it is a sovereign nation with its own laws.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/shanghai/228904/ACS/ACSChineseLawOverview.pdf

Yep, and then there is a history of strong human rights in China like :
The 24 crew members of the American EP-3E Aries II spy plane are back on U.S. soil, but a State Department source has told ABCNEWS there are at least 20 U.S. residents held in Chinese prison cells and work camps

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131120&page=1

HONG KONG — A Chinese court has sentenced an American citizen to more than five years in prison for selling magazines about Chinese politics, in a case that bears striking similarities to Beijing’s recent, widely denounced detentions of five Hong Kong-based booksellers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/world/asia/china-hong-kong-magazine-editors.html

Forgive me if I don't buy the sit in the hotel line.   They have a big time history of locking up people and I could post plenty more.   We have our problems here with a huge overpopulated for-profit prison system and are not beyond complaint.  But I am thankful every day that I live in a country with due process.

« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I will actually be disappointed if these players aren't duly punished if the charges are legitimate. There should be no special exemptions, if you go to another country and you disobey their laws, no matter how unjust they may seem you should be punished accordingly, these strict communist laws would have been explained to them on arrival or before their trip so they knew what they were getting into. It's easy if you don't agree with another countries laws you can protest in your own nation or raise awareness socially or simply don't go there. What's more irritating is that it isn't a Rosa Parks type of situation but just a few punks (one of which is rich) who stole from high end stores. If I was the UCLA president I would expel them on return for dragging their College name through the mud on a global scale.

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Would trump help any American kid caught shop lifting? My guess is not , he helped because this case became very public .

Lol wow.

« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trump helped the UCLA guy’s because they faced 10 years  in prison. That is no joke.

« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Trump helped the UCLA guy’s because they faced 10 years  in prison. That is no joke.

Yeah but would he have helped an "Average Joe"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Trump helped them out and you're right, 10 years in prison is absolutely no joke, but I think it really helped the UCLA teammates that LiAngelo Ball was involved and had a big influence from the way it looked.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
May I ask where you read that the players faced ten years in jail?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva