Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13936 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Really, LB? Now you're trying to play it off as you've been a catalyst of the Rozier fan club? Was that before or after you mockingly referred to him as Hozier and compared  him to Little Phil Pressey? Let's not be hypocritical now.

Exhibit A
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=79399.60

So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

I don't necessarily want in on this argument but are you seriously bringing up something he posted 3 years ago when Rozier hadn't even played in the NBA yet? Come on, dude.

You are in it now. Go! Who is right?

I thought there wasn't even a search feature in looking through old posts, and you could only move backward through a ton of clicks.  So yeah, that's very much over the top.  Unless I'm just banned from a search feature too.

Not too difficult just a simple search of Hozier does the trick. Especially when LB did it ad nauseum to mock Rozier. That said, if LB is going to use a post in 2016 to try to make it seem as though he's been fully supportive of the guy, then why is one about 10 months before that not fair game?
I hadn't even heard of Rozier on draft night.  Nobody had.  He was expected to go in the 2nd round.  It's a testament to Danny's greatness that he was able to spot him in the dregs of a draft range everyone said was worthless.  Clearly not even Danny was sold - or he wouldn't have offered 4 first round picks (including the Rozier pick and the pick that became Jaylen Brown) to try to acquire Winslow.

But I'll tell you who I HAD heard of... Irish singer-songwriter and genuine hunk Andrew Hozier-Byrne - better known by the mononym "Hozier".  You might recall Hozier from his hit song "Take me to Church" circa 2015 - the year Scary Terry was drafted.

Hence why around draft day that year I wondered if Boston might be better off moving the pick for a "bust" like Nik Stauskas or Andrew Bennett.  Clearly not.  Ainge nailed it.

Regardless, I've posted favorably about Terry over the years.  I pointed out his sensational D-League stats.  I pointed out that he was genuinely a Top 2 player his second attempt at summer league.  I openly pondered if he'd flourish had he been in Devin Booker's role.  And I was one of the first to point out that Terry might have been taking the leap this year at age 23 (usually the cut-off for when guys take a leap). 

Thrilled with his performance.  As good as he's been, nobody could really have expected him to be playing like an all-star in these playoffs.  You knew that Simmons might struggle against our defense.  You knew that Embiid had been limited by Horford during the regular season.  You knew that Philly's youth and inexperience could leave them shell-shocked against a team as locked in and the Celtics.  You knew that they might not recover from the emotional high of their Round 1 victory.  But the BIG unknown in this series was how Boston was going to consistently get buckets.  Tatum getting 20+ in 5 straight games could have been predicted on some level.  Tatum has that kind of superstar pedigree.  But Rozier playing like this ...  that's something else.  If he keeps that up, it's going to make for an interesting offseason.

I really hope we find a way to close out this series before Philly gets it together.  Hell of a start to the rivalry. 

I'd like to conclude by making an announcement.  I neglected to remember how much of a chore posting on CelticsBlog has become for me.   And so, I'd like to spend the remainder of my unretirement waiting for some nobel young steed worthy of the LarBrd33 mantel to impress me.  Think of it like Willy Wonka's golden tickets or "Ready Player One's" silver apples.  At the conclusion of my 60 day contract, one lucky poster may earn the right to the LarBrd33 moniker, be granted access to my account, and can carry on my legendary legacy for a new generation of CelticsBloggers.   May the odds be ever in your favor.

Howdy Lar, long time no see.

As for Rozier I don't think you're correct regarding his draft stock. It's been long rumored (and at one point substantiated but I can't find that info right now) that other GMs between #16 and the next pick (#28 I believe) had their eyes on him. So while some folks didn't know him, the NBA execs certainly did and thus he wouldn't have dropped to the 2nd round. Which is why Danny took him at #16 - he was concerned that Terry wouldn't have been there at #28. Many mock drafts had him going in the back of round 1, but round 1 nonetheless. For instance NBADRAFTNET had him going 22, Basketball Insiders had him going 29 and so did CBS. The shock was that we passed up on Portis.

As for the Winslow thing, saying that it included the Nets pick is pure speculation. That's never been confirmed, even two years after the trade. http://www.businessinsider.com/celtics-trade-offer-justise-winslow-rebuild-2017-9 and http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article164353652.html. When you make assertions that can't be backed up by facts you lose your audience. There's zero evidence that Ainge offered up the pick that became Brown.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
LB, is there an application process?  Hazing?  Either or both would be fantastic.  I have plenty of vacation time and few real-life relationships to neglect.  Been waiting years for this opportunity.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2018, 11:21:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
LB, is there an application process?  Hazing?  Either or both would be fantastic.  I have plenty of vacation time and few real-life relationships to neglect.  Been waiting years for this opportunity.
I’m opting to keep the scoring rubric confidential, but I will say it will be quite difficult to beat out Eddie.  Years of obsessing over my legendary dingers have resulted in a LarBrd33 Historian that may know me even more intimately than my own wife. 

So far close behind in 2nd place may be “Connection Problems”… the robot-god that continually interrupts my CelticBlogging to alert me that “SMF was unable to connect to the database”.  I’m frequently impressed by the master trolling of “Connection Problems” and his hilarious busy server errors that prevent me from viewing this forum 8 out of 10 times.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:38:03 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
if LB is going to use a post in 2016 to try to make it seem as though he's been fully supportive of the guy, then why is one about 10 months before that not fair game?

Because "10 months before" puts his post before Rozier ever played a game. That seems relevant.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2018, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I’m opting to keep the scoring rubric confidential, but I will say it will be quite difficult to beat out Eddie.  Years of obsessing over my legendary dingers have resulted in a LarBrd33 Historian that may know me even more intimately than my own wife. 

So far close behind in 2nd place may be “Connection Problems”… the robot-god that continually interrupts my CelticBlogging to alert me that “SMF was unable to connect to the database”.  I’m frequently impressed by the master trolling of “Connection Problems” and his hilarious busy server errors that prevent me from viewing this forum 8 out of 10 times.

We both already know it will be me

« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2018, 01:01:35 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Still a chance they win the next 4.

Sorry your beloved 76ers lost.

I'm not saying anything else I'll just let you cry yourself to sleep.

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2018, 01:08:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Go Connection Problems!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)