Author Topic: Being a good teammate  (Read 597 times)

Being a good teammate
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Is there anybody on the team that meets any of the criteria below?  Hayward and Brown sacrificed their role for the greater good of the team.  Hard pressed to think of anyone doing the below.  I helped coach an all star team this weekend and watching the top kids take pride in assists and passing was great to see. They bought in after only two practices. Then I watch a Celtics player last night constantly going after teammates on the defensive end, raising his arms, yelling at them when he isn't close to Gary Payton and is often the cause of direct lanes to the basket.  There is a lot of talk about leadership, but it got me thinking about just being a good teammate. Part of that is not showing up your teammates on the court constantly when things don't go your way.

The below was provided by a coach at a Nike camp:

Being a good teammate requires selflessness, dedication and a common goal. The best teammates have great communication skills and are willing to sacrifice their role for the greater good of the team.

Tips for being a great teammate:

Develop valuable, trusting relationships with your teammates both on and off the court
Be willing to get outside of your comfort zone and play any role to better the team
Stay motivated and push yourself to giving 100% at every practice and game
Lead by example: arrive to practice early, be open to feedback from others,
Keep a positive, uplifting attitude...it's empowering and contagious!
Communicate on offense to stay mentally engaged in competition and on defense to direct traffic
Hold yourself and others accountable to the team

Re: Being a good teammate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Treat every shot that the team makes as it you had shot it yourself. No resentments, no thinking "he's wasting shots that I should be taking and he's missing". Don't lose faith in your teammate because he's struggling, as long as he gets a good look pass it to him. Give up a good shot for a great shot.

If someone misses a shot run back and pick someone up even if it's not your man.

Don't worry about who should/shouldn't be on the court getting minutes...that's the coach's job. Embrace your teammates no matter who is on the floor with you. But be honest with them and hold them accountable at the appropriate time, making it clear you're trying to help them get better.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
nICE pOST.  tp

So who is on your good teammate Celtics list? Just Hayward and Brown?

Hard to quantify since we only see games and not practices, travel, down time, etc.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
nICE pOST.  tp

So who is on your good teammate Celtics list? Just Hayward and Brown?

Hard to quantify since we only see games and not practices, travel, down time, etc.

I agree we can't see everything that goes on.  Of the players getting regular minutes I would put Smart, Horford, and Baynes in there.  I think they encourage their teammates and take ownership.   

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Are these tips for being a good teammate or being a leader?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
Teammate.  Leadership obviously can seep in, but being a good teammate is fundamental.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Teammate.  Leadership obviously can seep in, but being a good teammate is fundamental.

I don't agree with a lot of that, then.

There are lots of guys who are good teammates who aren't gifted communicators. Everyone can't talk at once. 

Not everyone is going to have a positive, uplifting attitude all the time. Often, you need guys who are willing to challenge and others who can lighten the mood.

Trying hard, holding yourself accountable, and building bonds on an off the court, sure. But I also think a good team is one where different roles are filled by different personalities doing things in different ways. For me, being a good teammate is more about being dedicated to the same goal and being willing to do what it takes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008