Author Topic: Move Hayward to Point Forward  (Read 943 times)

Move Hayward to Point Forward
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think Stevens should move Hayward to PF and allow Rozier to play off the ball and play Semi or Williams more on the frontline.

Hayward is a good player to have on the court and he's more of a playmaker at this point. Let him run more offense and not be burdened with trying to be or looked upon as a scorer. Its putting too much pressure on him at this stage of his recovery. This will also settle down the 2nd unit and allow Stevens to sit Rozier when his game isn't on.

Re: Move Hayward to Point Forward
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I do not think you can play him anywhere and hide him anymore. He is just not going to be an impact player this season or really a consistent contributor.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I know but you can always use a playmaker and a smart player. We just shouldn't expect any 20 point games from him. He may be a defensive liability though. If Morris is going to fall off, we have to get something from one of them in some form.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I know but you can always use a playmaker and a smart player. We just shouldn't expect any 20 point games from him. He may be a defensive liability though. If Morris is going to fall off, we have to get something from one of them in some form.

I've decided the only way I can watch Gordon's play this year and not get frustrated is to not think about how much he is getting paid...I just look at what he does on the court and by adopting that mentality I can actually see that he does a lot of good things, because he's a smart player. He boxes out, he looks for the player with the best chance to make a shot, he rebounds, he hustles...the only thing he doesn't do consistently is score the basketball. Occasionally he does but he's very inconsistent and a lot of it is to do with the fact that they don't run sets for him, run pick and roll for him, so he has to look at his own shot to score. He wasn't looking for his shot against Washington so he only had 2 shot attempts. Against Houston he was looking for his shot but his inconsistency reared its ugly head.

But...if I disregard the fact that he's getting paid a max, I can see that he actually adds value on the court. That's how I've been watching him, he's clearly not going to play at what people think a "max" player should be this season, and he doesn't have that role either. He's basically playing the part of a role player.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It doesn't matter what Stevens does with Hayward.  At the end of the day Gordon needs to find confidence in his ability to score.  We all know that he has an excellent IQ and makes the right plays for his teammates.  Eventually we need him to adopt an aggressive mentality without the fear of failure.  I feel like he's caught in between even when he's showing "aggression". 

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I've decided the only way I can watch Gordon's play this year and not get frustrated is to not think about how much he is getting paid...I just look at what he does on the court and by adopting that mentality I can actually see that he does a lot of good things, because he's a smart player. He boxes out, he looks for the player with the best chance to make a shot, he rebounds, he hustles...the only thing he doesn't do consistently is score the basketball. Occasionally he does but he's very inconsistent and a lot of it is to do with the fact that they don't run sets for him, run pick and roll for him, so he has to look at his own shot to score. He wasn't looking for his shot against Washington so he only had 2 shot attempts. Against Houston he was looking for his shot but his inconsistency reared its ugly head.

But...if I disregard the fact that he's getting paid a max, I can see that he actually adds value on the court. That's how I've been watching him, he's clearly not going to play at what people think a "max" player should be this season, and he doesn't have that role either. He's basically playing the part of a role player.

TP, since I do the same thing  ;D. When you watch without expectations you'll see that Hayward isn't the one that's hurting the team right now. Sure, if he was back at his Utah-form and score 20+ points a game that would help tremendously, but he gives solid performances which can't be said for everybody.