Author Topic: Shooting just 27.9% from 3 since the All Star break  (Read 2182 times)

Re: Shooting just 27.9% from 3 since the All Star break
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Yeah but it’s “open”

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The team has no inside presence.

Horford can't score inside on a regular basis because he's most of the time smaller than the opposing team's Center.

It's true that the Celts live by the 3 and die by the 3.

Ainge could have done something at the trade deadline.
But Ainge wants to go all in on Anthony Davis.
Looks like us Celtic fans will have to endure this kind of Celtic basketball for a couple more months.

We have willing rebounders. The biggest issue I see with rebounding, particularly when get concede offensive rebounds is that nobody boxes out. Tommy mentioned this a couple games ago but I've noticed it for a while now. We have 3-4 guys all looking at the rim trying to get the rebound and nobody boxes out someone coming from the corner or from the top of the key. That's a basketball fundamental. They should be communicating on who is getting the rebound and who is boxing out.

As for 3s, what I find really frustrating is that when the ball gets kicked out for a 3 the recipient almost always pump fakes even when there's nobody near them. Just shoot the ball!

we haven't boxed out since 1980.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Shooting just 27.9% ... but yeah, let's keep trying to be like Golden State!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:45 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
53 for 190 from 3 since the All Star break.  That includes 8 for 28 tonight against Houston (we were 1 for 13 in the first half).  27.9% from a team that is stacked with talent.  For reference, the Suns are the league's worst 3 point shooting team this year at 32.7%.

Combine that with poor defense, weak rebounding, subpar coaching, selfish play, and a myriad of other flaws and it's easy to see why we look like one of the worst teams in the league right now.  Obviously any team will struggle to win games when shooting this poorly, but what's different about this team compared to years past is that we do not have any other redeeming qualities that could give us a chance to win.  We're just completely broken right now and we're dying by the 3.

who's shooting the most 3's during this stretch? it seems to me just by watching it's our least effective 3 pt shooters taking the most 3's.

either way the 3 pt shooting is just a mask for the real issue which is a poor offensive philosophy of encouraging guys to take poor shots.

Going through the stats during this stretch, sorted by highest to lowest 3's attempted:

Morris: 8 for 38 (21%)
Kyrie: 15 for 30 (50%)
Brown: 6 for 24 (25%)
Horford: 5 for 22 (22.7%)
Smart: 10 for 21 (47.6%)
Rozier: 2 for 18 (11.1%)
Tatum: 4 for 17 (23.5%)
Hayward: 1 for 8 (12.5%)

So to answer your question: Morris is shooting the most. Overall he's shooting just 27% from 3 since the start of February, and with his bad attitude, bad defense, and uncanny ability to kill ball movement he is killing us out there.  And Rozier's poor shooting numbers are no surprise... but 11%.  11%.  E-lev-en per-cent.

And I agree that our offensive philosophy is a problem - at least for this particular group of players.  We have no discipline and Brad doesn't hold anyone accountable for selfish play.

We're trying to build a Golden State / Houston pace and space team with inconsistent shooters.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 11:40:58 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
I decided to run some stats on open 3s (defined as closest defender more than 4 feet away). I sorted it by 3FGA, for Pre-AllStar and Post AllStar break. See below (click on the pics to make them bigger).

Pre-All Star Break OPEN Threes

Post-All Star Break OPEN Threes

This is the original query:
https://stats.nba.com/players/shots-closest-defender/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CloseDefDistRange=4-6%20Feet%20-%20Open&TeamID=1610612738&sort=FG3A&dir=1

Some horrible post-All Star numbers there...Mook went from 40% to 7%, Rozier from 33% to 12%, Hayward from 24% to 0%, Tatum from 30% to 20%, Brown from 33% to 25%. These are open shots, too. Only Kyrie and Smart have improved.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:53:11 PM by ozgod »

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Maybe they should spend more time in practice shooting threes.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
or maybe... just maybe, they should put 1 or 2 guys near the basket. there's a chance they might catch one of these rebound-thingies once in a while. Chances go up with the bad shooting going on right now. :D
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 04:54:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
53 for 190 from 3 since the All Star break.  That includes 8 for 28 tonight against Houston (we were 1 for 13 in the first half).  27.9% from a team that is stacked with talent.  For reference, the Suns are the league's worst 3 point shooting team this year at 32.7%.

Combine that with poor defense, weak rebounding, subpar coaching, selfish play, and a myriad of other flaws and it's easy to see why we look like one of the worst teams in the league right now.  Obviously any team will struggle to win games when shooting this poorly, but what's different about this team compared to years past is that we do not have any other redeeming qualities that could give us a chance to win.  We're just completely broken right now and we're dying by the 3.

who's shooting the most 3's during this stretch? it seems to me just by watching it's our least effective 3 pt shooters taking the most 3's.

either way the 3 pt shooting is just a mask for the real issue which is a poor offensive philosophy of encouraging guys to take poor shots.

Going through the stats during this stretch, sorted by highest to lowest 3's attempted:

Morris: 8 for 38 (21%)
Kyrie: 15 for 30 (50%)
Brown: 6 for 24 (25%)
Horford: 5 for 22 (22.7%)
Smart: 10 for 21 (47.6%)
Rozier: 2 for 18 (11.1%)
Tatum: 4 for 17 (23.5%)
Hayward: 1 for 8 (12.5%)

So to answer your question: Morris is shooting the most. Overall he's shooting just 27% from 3 since the start of February, and with his bad attitude, bad defense, and uncanny ability to kill ball movement he is killing us out there.  And Rozier's poor shooting numbers are no surprise... but 11%.  11%.  E-lev-en per-cent.

And I agree that our offensive philosophy is a problem - at least for this particular group of players.  We have no discipline and Brad doesn't hold anyone accountable for selfish play.

We're trying to build a Golden State / Houston pace and space team with inconsistent shooters.

Pretty much.

It's greatly exacerbated by the fact that the team doesn't really trust each other at this point so they don't work patiently to get the best shots for each other.  Everybody's pressing or trying to be the hero.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 06:12:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
A stretch of poor long-range shooting happens, it is in the nature of the shot.
It is a much more volatile shot than say converting at the rim.
As far as I saw, the shots we are taking are good, fairly open shots.

It is true that we only have one knockdown shooter on the roster - Kyrie, that doesn't help the fact.
However, I predict a hot shooting stretch coming soon.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 06:29:07 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Yeah but it’s “open”

One of the best movie basketball scenes ever. TP
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
or maybe... just maybe, they should put 1 or 2 guys near the basket. there's a chance they might catch one of these rebound-thingies once in a while. Chances go up with the bad shooting going on right now. :D

I've been thinking about this. Although the team is small up front, they have a big of big wings and the way everyone switches on defense now, there is usually a mismatch somewhere. I wonder what would happen to the offense if they just hunted whatever size mismatch there was on the floor and ran the offense through the high post. I feel like, with a mismatch at least, I trust just about any of our wings to do this as long as he understands the role.

It doesn't mean they're not taking 3's, it just means rather than dribble driving, they're starting near the basket.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

Welcome and here's your first TP!

If you look at the times when they've conceded a rebound, particularly an offensive one, it's more than likely there were players near the basket. They're good at that because they all want to get the rebound. What they are bad at is boxing out. They lose rebounds because some guy comes from behind, either from the corner or from the top of the key, and grabs the rebound as they are all facing the basket waiting for it. Tommy has mentioned it on the NBCSports Boston telecast every game for the past 5 or 6 games.