Author Topic: Pierce doesn't think the Celtics should trade Tatum for AD  (Read 5097 times)

Re: Pierce doesn't think the Celtics should trade Tatum for AD
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm a little confused by Paul's use of the term "perimeter player"(at the risk of sounding ignorant.)

Does he mean Tatum is more useful to the team because he can play outside the perimeter and shoot 3s or because he's useful inside the perimeter to knock down jump shots, post-up and attack the basket?

I think that's important to know in figuring out whether I agree with him.

Perimeter player is just a player who plays from the perimeter. Might be a sharpshooter or a dribble driver or a player who does a bit of everything. Rondo, Eddie House, Ray Allen, Pierce and Posey were all perimeter players.

Thanks to all those who clarified.

I guess I see where Paul is coming from. I think AD is obviously the better player but for me, it just comes down to the contractual issue. AD only has 1 year and I am less than 50% confident he'll stay in Boston (though he could be talked into it.)
To give up a great player like Tatum for a possible 1 year rental is a huge risk. If Ainge can get away with acquiring Davis without giving up Tatum, then by all means. That would probably also increase the chances Davis stays if he sees he has Kyrie AND JT as opposed to just Kyrie. I just think that Tatum is the guy the Pelicans are going to want.

It's a tough position to be in and I am not totally sure Ainge gives up Tatum for Davis.

I'd give up Tatum for an all-star who has at least a couple season left on his contract

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
The Pelicans have no leverage at all anymore. That's why they fired the GM

Why get him a year early and gut the team when you can just sign him as an addition the next.

IF HE WANTS TO BE HERE. If he signs with LA then that's where he wants to be...if he signs with NY and DOLAN...of all people...then he deserves what he gets.

And we roll on waiting for our rim protector...because that's all we need.

Not some guy talking about he's "taking control of his life".

He's sounds problematic to me.

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum plays every game
Tatum is available every game
Tatum is durable
Tatum doesn't take rest days
Tatum is always in the lineup