Author Topic: Today is the Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline  (Read 2196 times)

Today is the Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Looks like we aren't adding any reinforcements.

Another factor that makes me feel as though the team just doesn't really believe that they have a chance, irrespective of what they say.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Today is the Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Who is available that they should add?

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't know the full list, but I'm certain there are at least a few big men who could provide better depth than they have right now.

There have to be some veteran point guards out there.

Also I suspect if the Celts were interested in getting somebody who hasn't been bought out yet, they could be talking to those teams behind the scenes to help make a buyout happen.

But we haven't heard anything about that since just after the trade deadline, so I'm assuming they decided it wasn't worth the tax implications to add anybody else.

And you know, I can't blame them.  This team isn't worth it.  Adding Tyler Zeller or Greg Monroe or somebody like that to set screens for 10 minutes a game unless / until Aron Baynes is back won't change the major problems ailing this team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
FWIW here is a list of names out there.  Not 100% sure on the accuracy or how many of these guys are even looking for work (Ginobli!?!).  Some interesting names though.  I doubt we bring anyone in.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/current_free_agents

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
FYI, today isn't the deadline to be signed, it's just the deadline to be waived in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

Players can still be signed well after this deadline, up until the playoffs rosters are set.  For instance, last year Brandon Jennings signed with the Bucks on 3/11, Jordan Crawford signed with NOP on 4/1, Ty Lawson signed with the Wizards on 4/11.  All played in the playoffs.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
FYI, today isn't the deadline to be signed, it's just the deadline to be waived in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

Players can still be signed well after this deadline, up until the playoffs rosters are set.  For instance, last year Brandon Jennings signed with the Bucks on 3/11, Jordan Crawford signed with NOP on 4/1, Ty Lawson signed with the Wizards on 4/11.  All played in the playoffs.

Really?  Well that changes things then.  I thought that players had to be added to the roster by today to be playoff eligible.

TP.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Robin Lopez would be my choice, but i think he wont even be an option.

Paxson has gone on record regarding buyouts in general and Lopez in particular by saying something to the effect of "why should we pay $$ to help another team out?"

I get that philosophy, but it's a little counter-productive and could be perceived as somewhat spiteful towards a player which wouldn't cultivate good will among players and agents. Also, sometimes in buyouts the teams save $$$.

Even if let go, Lopez is probably a moot issue anyway as he most likely wont sign a two year taxpayer's MLE with a team  option, which is what Ainge would want to sign him (or anybody he signs now) to for ballast in an AD or KD trade this summer.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Exactly. This team is the deepest team in the NBA. adding a 12th-13th guy may only mess with the dynamics more. Unless it was a vet like Richard Jefferson who was just brought in for a level-headed presence, I'd rather ride with our big rotation (Horford, Theis, Baynes, Yabu, Williams), our wing rotation (Morris, Tatum, Brown, Ojeleye), and our guard rotation (Irving, Smart, Rozier, Wanamaker).

There's simply no one out there that helps us in any significant way. There's not a player out there that would give us something we don't already have, or something better than we currently have.

This means nothing. Reading into this is just the negativity talking.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Really?  Well that changes things then.  I thought that players had to be added to the roster by today to be playoff eligible.

TP.

Yup, still plenty of time to add Melo.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sign Perk. Veteran leadership that doesn’t need minutes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Pau Gasol.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

TP.

Yup, still plenty of time to add Melo.

He'd fit in.   ;D
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Paul Gasol was just bought out. C'mon Danny we need him.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
How are the Bucks going to play all these guys?