Author Topic: 1984 Finals Game 7  (Read 4061 times)

1984 Finals Game 7
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know a fair few people like me have probably got a lot more downtime nowadays, and I thought I'd post this YouTube video of this great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxKKdNZi-I

Such a different game to today.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: 1984 Finals Game 7
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I've enjoyed watching some of these old games.  It's refreshing to watch a three on one fast break that doesn't end with a three pointer.

Watching the 1981 game 7 between the Celtics and 76ers I learned something new.  i had no idea that back then if your were in the bonus and in the act of shooting you had three chances to make two free throws (two chances to make one if the shot went in).  It happened a few times and I thought Youtube was just glitchy until I realized and looked it up.  The rule went out that following off season.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've enjoyed watching some of these old games.  It's refreshing to watch a three on one fast break that doesn't end with a three pointer.

Watching the 1981 game 7 between the Celtics and 76ers I learned something new.  i had no idea that back then if your were in the bonus and in the act of shooting you had three chances to make two free throws (two chances to make one if the shot went in).  It happened a few times and I thought Youtube was just glitchy until I realized and looked it up.  The rule went out that following off season.
Wow, not sure if I ever knew that. At least I don't remember ever knowing it.

I love going back and watching old games. Get to see all the different evolutions of the game. I loved mid-late 80's Celtic basketball.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Tommy was wrong about one thing Jabbar was NO gentleman .   

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:51:01 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Game 7 in 1984 Finals vs those soft Lakers was won by Max, McHale and Parish. They dominated inside, scoring, defending and pounding LA into dust on the boards. I never get tired of watching that last 5 minute run of the 3d quarter that won the game and clinched the title with Larry resting on the bench.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:14:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I love going back and watching old games. Get to see all the different evolutions of the game. I loved mid-late 80's Celtic basketball.
I did actually know that, but completely forgot!  Thanks RMO.  In retrospect, that slowed the pace of the game at the end of quarters.  A foul on any regular FG attempt in the penalty could mean 3 shots at the line.  It might be one reason they got rid of that rule.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I did actually know that, but completely forgot!  Thanks RMO.  In retrospect, that slowed the pace of the game at the end of quarters.  A foul on any regular FG attempt in the penalty could mean 3 shots at the line.  It might be one reason they got rid of that rule.

It was a terrible rule, aimed at raising the scoring in the league I believe.  I do remember seeing Darryl Dawkins clank 3 in a row at the Garden to the delight of Celts fans.  The old "hat trick".

I do like the old 1-and-1 rule.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It was a terrible rule, aimed at raising the scoring in the league I believe.  I do remember seeing Darryl Dawkins clank 3 in a row at the Garden to the delight of Celts fans.  The old "hat trick".

Yeah, the old "1-and-1". what a heartbreaker when your worst FT shooter was at the line, and misses the 1st.  Do they still do that in college?

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yeah, the old "1-and-1". what a heartbreaker when your worst FT shooter was at the line, and misses the 1st.  Do they still do that in college?

I think they do it for the first 3 applicable fouls, then it's automatic 2.
Yup