Author Topic: Is Isaiah Thomas ever going to play in NBA again?  (Read 13939 times)

Re: Is Isaiah Thomas ever going to play in NBA again?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think he will but it will end quickly in hip pain
I read that his condition is degenerative and doesn't seem to go away without a full hip replacement

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 05:43:44 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I read that his condition is degenerative and doesn't seem to go away without a full hip replacement

Degeneration takes place over several years, not all at once. He can play a few healthy seasons, depending on how the procedure and recovery goes.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's really hard to imagine a guy being an elite 30 ppg scorer just a year or two ago and then being out of the NBA so soon after.

But, with a player so small we're talking about a fairly small margin.

Maybe his hip condition is bad enough that it will only ever get worse and he will never improve.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if ultimately he is able to get back to playing in the NBA, but only as a scoring guard for a bad team.  It's hard to imagine him being so brilliant again that a team is willing to overlook the problems he creates on defense.

It really hurts me to reach that conclusion, because I was a major proponent of IT and I really enjoyed his time on the Celts.  Super fun guy to root for.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I wonder if there's a universe where he doesn't really get totally healthy this season but gets himself right during the summer, Rozier walks in free agency, and the Celtics pick up IT on the cheap as a bench scorer and he makes a triumphant return.

Long shot.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he ll be good as a normal person, play n with his kids , golf, everyday guy stuff .   

that was a close call ,  he could have survived a another year got a huge contractand then ended up like this . 

This might have retanked the celtics .

Fortunately Bron run Irving off and Danny jumped on the situation

He ll always be a favorite Celtic ,  he saved Boston from a long rebuild .  We got extra years of good basketball thanks to IT

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:28 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
he ll be good as a normal person, play n with his kids , golf, everyday guy stuff .   

that was a close call ,  he could have survived a another year got a huge contractand then ended up like this . 

This might have retanked the celtics .

Fortunately Bron run Irving off and Danny jumped on the situation

He ll always be a favorite Celtic ,  he saved Boston from a long rebuild .  We got extra years of good basketball thanks to IT

I hope he doesn’t try to play if he physically can’t, chasing NBA flyers and overseas money. I really hope he can stay healthy and it not be a detriment to his post-career quality of life.

He was such a fun player to watch, I hope he can return and entertain whatever fan base he plays for. You know he loves to ball.

As for whether the Celtics dodged a bullet, I don’t know. Assuming he played out last season at full strength to earn the max, who knows, maybe we win a championship last season (Hayward never gets injured?). And if we gave him a huge contract and this happened, apply for the hardship, pay Rozier, and ride with Hayward and Horford as the leaders.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:23:57 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I hope he gets healthy and if possible collect some more good paychecks

Seeing guys like Wiggins or Mahinmi getting 10s of millions makes me sick. I don't blame them it was more of a matter of luck and timming. It feels unfair

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

There is really no such actual factual information available on "his condition".   I follow Isaiah fairly closely and nowhere has his actual health information been released publicly.  Nor should it be.

Without that, anything you read is just idle speculation by people who have no real facts.  And the actual facts are important in making any kind of assessment here.   Without them, it's just wild guessing.  The variables around hip issues are huge and can lead to a wide range of outcomes.

He might never play again or he might come back close to 100%.  Or somewhere in the middle.  We won't know until it happens.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:23:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Besides the physical aspect, what is his mental attitude?  Is he still thinking about the Brink's truck or will he be satisfied to be a bench scorer?  If the later, I think there would be significant interest. 

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Troll thread.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Season is now halfway over and he has not even started regular practices. If he doesn't get some burn this year it is hard to imagine him getting another contract in the offseason. Really feel bad for the guy. On the plus side it seems like he has been a strong leader in the lockerroom for Denver.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/02/isaiah-thomas-anticipates-nuggets-return/

Much better for him to sit this yea4 if he’s not fully right than come back early and injure himself again. There will be teams willing to give him a chance on the vet min in think.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Don’t think he’ll ever get back to Boston IT version but he could be a good microwave scorer off the bench for a contender. With his leadership I think that’s his best option at this point. I don’t think he’s done as a player though.

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would like to see IT back in green, think coming off the bench may sting, but he could be a perfect scorer/spark for us.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different