Author Topic: Joakim Noah might be available. (Merged Threads)  (Read 12932 times)

Re: Joakim looking for a new home?
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Keep looking Jo, I hear the Big 3 league is up and coming.

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
nee, nao, niet, nein, nahi, voch, non, jo, Aye, Na, Nann, Ne, m hai and Finally Hell No.

i would like to add Ochi to the list :D

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
When Horford was quoted last year that Noah still had game I thought about and it might be true.  If Noah is ok physically (who knows), I do think he's worth a small gamble look.  You never know, he just might be another Horford.

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still can't believe it has only been 4 seasons since Noah finished 4th in MVP voting after the 13-14 season when he was just 28 years old.  Talk about a fast fall from grace. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's always hurt, and he looks like he running on empty.

That said, I did like his game 4 or 5 years ago.

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Never liked his game or his personality. No in his prime, no when he’s fried.

Just no.

If Monroe couldn’t get burn in the playoffs, what is he going to provide in Stevens system? Utterly useless, if you want him for depth, we are screwed if we have to rely on him anyway.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
If this happens, I think this means that the Knicks are out of the running for a two superstar summer.

By my count, if they stretched Noah, renounced all free agents except Zinger, and traded Lee and Hardaway. they would only have about 56 million dollars in space. That would leave room for one max guy and one 24 million dollar free agent.

Even assuming a superstar and all-star level player would do that, would that core be a contender? Nah. And they would only have 7 guys on the roster.

Waiving Noah might open up some cap space, but the inability to trade his contract is going to cost them about 7.5 million in space, which is the difference between two max contracts and a max contract + an 80% contract.

They'd have to trade one of their garbage contracts for one of their targets. Problem is they'd almost definitely have to trade one or more of their young core to do it. Would Zinger plus Noah for Kyrie have any appeal here? Kyrie opts out and that gives maybe them room to maybe go get KD and Butler, then go over the cap to sign Kyrie as they would have his bird rights. IDK, just thinking out loud..

Kyrie's cap hold is too large, so he'd presumably need to be signed first. Aldo the knicks have another $30M in toxic contracts which will be very hard to move. If they traded for Irving (which IMO is unlikely with Noahs contract unless there's a third team involved) they'd only have room for one additional max at best. So MAYBE Kyrie + Butler.

And if they can dump Noah and wait for Kyrie in free agency, maybe they keep Porzingis. But IMO Kyrie Porzingis and Butler is not enough to win a championship.

He would be stupid to leave here, I don't think it's happening.

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
we had a more healthy athletic version of Joakim, (greg monroe) last year and i still wanted to buy his ticket out of Boston.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I still can't believe it has only been 4 seasons since Noah finished 4th in MVP voting after the 13-14 season when he was just 28 years old.  Talk about a fast fall from grace.

The fact that Noah ever finished in the top five for the MVP award in any season is a complete and utter joke, imo.

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
we had a more healthy athletic version of Joakim, (greg monroe) last year and i still wanted to buy his ticket out of Boston.
Noah is washed up but he was excellent for a few years.  And he’s nothing like Monroe other than rebounding ability.  One is an offensive player and one is a defensive player.

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Noah is washed up but he was excellent for a few years.  And he’s nothing like Monroe other than rebounding ability.  One is an offensive player and one is a defensive player.
I too am struggling to see any similarity between Moose and Noah, except that they're both NBA big men.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I too am struggling to see any similarity between Moose and Noah, except that they're both NBA big men.

On defense,  they are virtually identical in uselessness. Have you see Noah switched on a guard recently? Goodness
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Some players just fall off a cliff earlier than others.  Noah hit that wall right around age 30, which is unusual for a player who had recently been of All-Star caliber, but it happens.  Same thing happened to Gerald Wallace.  All-Star at 27 (and probably should have been at 25 or 26), and washed up by age 30.  Never would have seen it coming for either.  Sure, they could have been past their peak, but to go from star level to unplayable in 2-3 years, without having experienced a major traumatic injury like an ACL or Achilles, was quite surprising for a player turning 30.  Same thing happened with Luol Deng too. 

Just something to keep in mind when signing players to long contracts who’ve reached 30.  You’re starting to reach the danger zone, even if the odds are still in your favor for the early 30s.