Author Topic: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)  (Read 17563 times)

Re: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's true, IP - they are rather close defensively. And you are correct - our team has a defensive mindset.

I just don't know if CP3 would've gotten us past LA last month.

That's also true. I don't know how that series would've gone with CP3 in Rondo's place...but that's kind of irrelevant now..the question is who is better for the Celtics moving forward.

Talent-wise, I think CP3 is the better player, but Rondo is not an acknowledged leader on the team, he knows the system and the guys trust him. Plus, he's signed for longer years at VERY reasonable money. It's not like in 2012 when the shingles are falling off he can just cut bait and bail..CP3 can.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
With a healthy Chris Paul instead of Rondo, the C's would have won another title last year.  I love Rondo, but yes I would trade him for Chris Paul.  However, I agree with the poster who said pg is the one position in which we are set.  I'd rather make a move to aquire an athletic big man to pair with Rondo than trade Rondo himself.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:02 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
sheed, rondo, lafayette and gaffney work on realgm for paul.

i love rondo - but would like to see paul in green.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I see a lot of convincing arguments for CP3 on here, which I have no issues with.

I just wonder - if this trade did in fact happen - would CP3 garnish the same "Larry Bird - Rondo" comparisons that Rajon had just a couple of months ago?

In my many years of following the Celtics - Rondo was the first player I've seen fans compare to Larry Bird. Rondo was doing some really ridiculous, miraculous stuff just a few weeks ago.

I mean - that play he did on J-Will in the ORL series was Spiderman-like...my oldest son stated that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36POeMbo3Yk&feature=related

You start comparing players to Superheros and NBA legends and we might have a real prodigy here in Rondo.

Man - I'd hate to see that kind of talent AND potential go.

Question for anyone here: Once Rondo develops his jumper and his free throws (and he will), can anyone here deny that he will in fact be the best PG in the game and probably a top 10 player overall?

That is what I am seeing from Rondo in just a few years.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:56:13 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:26 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Had to post this. This was NOH VS Boston in 2007-08. Looks like Rondo had a pretty good game VS CP3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvu01FArM2E&feature=related

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:30 AM »

Offline Levis107

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
I love when people on this board think Rondo's defense is vastly superior to Paul's when Chris Paul led the league in steals for 2 seasons.  If the Celtics could get Paul for Rondo, you would have to do it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately it sounds like Paul has limited himself to a few teams and plus, the difference in talent isn't big enough for Danny to trade the most popular Celtic

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I love when people on this board think Rondo's defense is vastly superior to Paul's when Chris Paul led the league in steals for 2 seasons.  If the Celtics could get Paul for Rondo, you would have to do it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately it sounds like Paul has limited himself to a few teams and plus, the difference in talent isn't big enough for Danny to trade the most popular Celtic

Didn't Allen Iverson lead the league in steals for 2 seasons?

Paul is no slouch on defense, but he is not Rondo. I think Rondo would be missed most on the boards, which is rather sad. I think Rondo may run the break a little better too, is a slightly better passer, and of course is a little faster. Other than that, everything favors Paul on the offensive end.

I wouldn't wanna give up too much for CP3. Even if he is slightly better, it could blow up in our faces. Or, he could turn the Celtics into the best offensive AND defensive team in the NBA.

O, and Rondo is not the most popular Celtic, maybe on these boards and the ESPN hype-machine. But even if he was, I don't think Danny would hesitate to trade him because of that reason.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 03:58:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The fundamental flaw of any trade involving Paul going to Boston is that (a) it would have to involve Rondo (Boston has no other chips of that magnitude) and (b) New Orleans probably lacks interest in Rondo, because they have Collison, who is projecting to be an outstanding starting PG in the NBA. Just don't see him happening.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The fundamental flaw of any trade involving Paul going to Boston is that (a) it would have to involve Rondo (Boston has no other chips of that magnitude) and (b) New Orleans probably lacks interest in Rondo, because they have Collison, who is projecting to be an outstanding starting PG in the NBA. Just don't see him happening.

Collison will never be as good as Rondo.

They can easily move him for another piece.

I find it hard to believe any NO fan would be upset if they got Rondo to run the point instead of CP3, then moved Collison/Okafor for an All-Star (wing or big, whichever).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 04:41:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
I personally hope that Rondo plays every game of his career in green. CP3 is great and all but so id Rondo. He's way faster than Paul.. Yea Paul is the better shooter but Rondo can work on that, Paul isnt getting any faster. Rondo has also improved his numbers year by year since he came into the league.. There's no reason not to believe he cant get 20ppg 9.5-10APG and 6-9rpg next year. And if he is able to somehow fix his free throw shooting he's gonna be so much more deadly. He can get to the line better than anyone.

I love Rondo, in 2008 during the playoffs I argued with my brother in law that Rondo was the best PG in the league. Obviously it wasnt true at that time, but I knew he was gonna be great. I told my brother in law that he would be the best pg in the league within 3 years. Then when magic, jackie mcmullan and a few others all came out and said it on TV, regardless of whether its debateable or not made me feel content. This kids got nowhere to go but up and we just locked him in for 11mil a year for 5 years! CP3 would be 18mil a year for 2 years.

There's no way this trade would or should EVER happen!
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
No one ever says "you got cp3'd" :P
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 06:39:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Whether you would do it or not, I believe Doc and Danny would do it.  I remember hearing Doc stress how much he Looooooves Chris Paul-- he said it like that.  Never heard him say the same thing about Rondo.  I think they would pull the trigger if the only starter they have to give up is Rondo.  This could be their last chance for a championship and they can't risk Rondo not getting his shot together because Rondo has been ineffective in the Finals and even a liability at times.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Rather have Rondo any day, personally ... he's proven under championship pressure, CP3 hasn't been close. Pass.

Yeah - pretty much what Bakhu says. I've seen Rondo do some pretty incredible things over the last few playoff runs, and while CP3 is a top 10 talent overall, I'm just not sure he could take over a game like Rondo could.

Could he duplicate Rondo's CLE series in May?

Could he duplicate Rondo's CHI series during the playoff series in 08-09?

Could he run down a loose ball and snatch it from Jason William's grasp and make that incredible play in the ORL series?

I mean - just take over a game? More than scoring? Can CP3 do it the hard way (Defensively)?

It's these variables that raise question marks for me.
In 07-08, the Hornets played 12 playoff games.  Chris Paul logged the tenth highest single season playoff PER ever.  I think it is safe to say he can take over playoff series. 

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

CP3 is as good as Rondo if not better.

Is he 1st Team All Defense (Rondo) better?

And if I'm not mistaken, in CP3's lone playoff series against LA, he nearly did a Houdini act..he impacted that series very little.
Chris Paul has been 1st team All Defense.  He has also been 2nd team All Defense.  Also a 1st and 2nd team All NBA.  He only played 45 games last year, otherwise he would have been on both lists again last year.  And Paul is just 24.

It isn't all that close.  Chris Paul is a much better player then Rajon Rondo, any one that says otherwise is just being a homer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 07:24:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
When Paul is healthy, his PER is right there with Lebron and Wade- around 30.  Rondo has never even come close- he was around 20 last year.
Rondo is an awesome young point guard, but Paul is a top 5 player in the same category as Lebron, Wade, Howard, and Durant.

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I love when people on this board think Rondo's defense is vastly superior to Paul's when Chris Paul led the league in steals for 2 seasons.  If the Celtics could get Paul for Rondo, you would have to do it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately it sounds like Paul has limited himself to a few teams and plus, the difference in talent isn't big enough for Danny to trade the most popular Celtic

Well, if Danny made decisions based on Internet popularity, our team would be knee-deep in the lousy players from the 2007 losing streak - Gomes, West, et al.

Fortunately, he doesn't.

Quite frankly, the call should be made - to NO and to Paul's agent to gauge interest.

And BTW, there is NO comparison between Larry Bird and Rondo. None whatsoever. Shooting, fellas. Remember the shooting. Bird could. Rondo can't. Case closed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."