Author Topic: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6  (Read 43583 times)

Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline pablohoney

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
This draft was supposed to be deep and full of potential all stars.   

Marcus Smart was supposed to be NBA ready and he definitely has personality traits of a winner.   But at #6 in this draft you expect a guy to show more.   I think he has shown far less than KO, Sully, Tony Allen, D west, Rondo, Gomes etc.   He may be the worst first round pick summer league performer of Ainge era.  He is looking worse than Phil Pressey did last year and he was undrafted in a terribly weak draft.

20% shooting is just horrible.  It is easily the worst of any first round picks in Orlando.  What is worse is that he is not only a terrible 3 point shooter and a terrible pull up shooter.   His percentages on drives to basket is god awful.

Rondo can't shoot but he can get to rim at will and overall has a 50% FG% because he gets layups.  Rose and Westbrook - less playmakers than scorers - are terrible outside shooters but like Rondo that can get to rim at will and unlike Rondo have a second gear that lets them finish over bigs.  Smart does neither at this point.   And he is playing against teams that actually have no rim protecting bigs and no legit NBA guards to stop him.

He may go down as the worst pick of the draft if this keeps up.

Re: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So now that we've got that overreaction out of the way...

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Good thing you're not jumping the gun with your analysis.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So do you think we should try to cut him after summer league, or try to dump his salary on someone before the season starts?

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Did you invent a time machine and look into the future? It is summer league. Stop overreacting. The kid hasn't even played a real NBA game yet. Save your player evaluations for after the season before calling him a bust.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Are we just going to focus on his shooting and neglect every other facet of his game?

EDIT:  Also, this is the first time I can ever recall a guy being labeled a bust due to Summer League action.  Not even an NBA regular season, or preseason game for that matter.  But a summer league game.  Wow.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I'm kinda new to the forum, but is this why he has -7 tommy points?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I can't find the full summer league stats with a quick search, but Lebron shot 3 for 12 in his first summer league game.  Dude was a bust too! You couldn't be more right...

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What did MCW shoot in summer league again?

EDIT: 27%.  Clear bust.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Are we just going to focus on his shooting and neglect every other facet of his game?

EDIT:  Also, this is the first time I can ever recall a guy being labeled a bust due to Summer League action.  Not even an NBA regular season, or preseason game for that matter.  But a summer league game.  Wow.

Hello, my name is Nickagneta, and I'd like to talk to you today about Kelly Olynyk...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That was a joke Nick's awesome.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Yeah. This guy absolutely stinks. The world is ending. Santa isn't real and the Easter Bunny slept with the tooth fairy. Blah blah blah blah. Whaa whaaa whaa.

It's summer league dude. He's a rookie. He hasn't even practiced with the real team yet. Calm down.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I hope you weren't in the draft Aaron Gordon camp either because I would of loved to read that post.. I'm gonna guess you're only an offensive minded scout because you can pick apart his jump shot all you want but there's not one thing you can say about what this man child does on the other side of the ball.. You forgot to mention that he's playing off ball slotted ina position that is not his natural spot but when they throw him at the 1 he's a totally different player and the offense is beautiful

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I did not like this pick when it happened and I like it even less now. Randle is going to be a very good pro, better than Sullinger. We chose wrong.