Author Topic: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17  (Read 60178 times)

Re: Rockets (25-7) at Celtics (28-10) Game #39 12/28/17
« Reply #690 on: December 28, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.
It's an absolute miracle win. Miracle miracle miracle. Divine. For some reason I saw fit to send angels down from the heavens to change the outcome of this game. If you think this is a good way to play a game or that we can rely on this to get us through the season or the playoffs...wow. It's an outlier. You have never seen a game like this before, nor will again. It's just a thing that happened. The first half is far more indicative of the problems than the second half is of the answers.

Why should any of us care that its an outlier? I think we can all agree on that. Making obvious statements isn't going to persuade people that they should be less enthused about this win.
I guess I feel more relieved than enthused.

Are you going to be upset if the Celtics don't win the Championship this year?

I assume that they won't. I think the Boston Celtics are a young basketball team that will continue to get better year after year after year. It's a process. The fact that they can stay in the game and win it after such a bad start gives me hope. It means that the team demonstrates resolve and mental toughness.
I'll probably be annoyed if they don't get to the finals and make a showing.

lololol that is just rediculous.

« Reply #691 on: December 28, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I am totally fine with people focusing on the 1 and a half minutes of absolute virtuoso performance by Smart.

I prefer to focus on the 46 minutes of him being beaten around like David Caradine #checkouthowhedied

Thankfully, he only played 34.  And David Caradine always came through.  Good nickname for Marcus though -- Grasshopper.
Well.....Grasshopper couldn't even find his own kid after a fire, and the kid (despite being trained) couldn't find his father and Smart can't find a shot or offense, which is pretty fundamental to the NBA, so I think it's a great nickname. Cue the flashback.
eja, you are really straining here to justify your dislike for smart. it really doesnt make you look good. let it go and enjoy the win please.

TP. I have no idea why people are complaining about an amazing win against one of the best teams in the NBA. I think it says more about those people and their worldview than anything basketball related.
It's an absolute miracle win. Miracle miracle miracle. Divine. For some reason I saw fit to send angels down from the heavens to change the outcome of this game. If you think this is a good way to play a game or that we can rely on this to get us through the season or the playoffs...wow. It's an outlier. You have never seen a game like this before, nor will again. It's just a thing that happened. The first half is far more indicative of the problems than the second half is of the answers.

Why should any of us care that its an outlier? I think we can all agree on that. Making obvious statements isn't going to persuade people that they should be less enthused about this win.

I assume that they won't. I think the Boston Celtics are a young basketball team that will continue to get better year after year after year. It's a process. The fact that they can stay in the game and win it after such a bad start gives me hope. It means that the team demonstrates resolve and mental toughness.

Why is it ridiculous? We just beat a pretty good team tired as heck coming from behind in epic fashion. I thought we were allowed and supposed to be hopeful. Why do you gotta be a hater of the Celts and their potential?

« Reply #692 on: December 29, 2017, 12:00:11 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Why is it ridiculous? We just beat a pretty good team tired as heck coming from behind in epic fashion. I thought we were allowed and supposed to be hopeful. Why do you gotta be a hater of the Celts and their potential?

I think he's saying that its ridiculous for you to be annoyed for losing a series in which they most definitely will be underdogs.

From your posts tonight, the Celtics could win every game for the rest of the year and you'd be able to nitpick some other reason to be annoyed.

Lighten up, the Celtics won tonight! If watching your team win doesn't do it for you, there are plenty of other ways to spend time.

« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Complaining about Smart tonight really sounds as out there as complaining about Brady's first half of last year's Superbowl after the Patriots won and after Brady led the team back from 25 down in the 3rd. It makes zero sense. Smart was a major factor in the Celtics winning this game. Enough with the Smart hate on a night like this.
The difference is that Brady is the GOAT. He almost always plays a superb game. He has zero flaws in his game and he has had to win multiple rings with a hand tied behind his back by a league that keeps taking draft picks from him for non infractions and is well known as the hardest worker on his team year in and year out. Smart is a guy that shows up and doesn't contribute in the single most critical part of the game (offense) and then shows up for the last 2 minutes of the game.

What would happen if Brady kept throwing INTs every game and then snuck the ball for one yard at the end of the game each time? 

I know some people would love it and say a win is a win and that he's a great late game QB and that he makes winning plays and that's their right.

Others would say something different and get labeled haters.

I don't hate Smart. I want to see this from him all the time for 48 minutes. I want him to come back a little better every year like Brady. I want him to have great games for the whole game all the time.

It's time for him to raise his game and his consistency and it really really is because it's a contract year for him.

« Reply #694 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I think he's saying that its ridiculous for you to be annoyed for losing a series in which they most definitely will be underdogs.

From your posts tonight, the Celtics could win every game for the rest of the year and you'd be able to nitpick some other reason to be annoyed.

Lighten up, the Celtics won tonight! If watching your team win doesn't do it for you, there are plenty of other ways to spend time.
I guess I just have more faith in them and their abilities than you.  I don't see them as an underdog in that scenario.

« Reply #695 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Complaining about Smart tonight really sounds as out there as complaining about Brady's first half of last year's Superbowl after the Patriots won and after Brady led the team back from 25 down in the 3rd. It makes zero sense. Smart was a major factor in the Celtics winning this game. Enough with the Smart hate on a night like this.
The difference is that Brady is the GOAT. He almost always plays a superb game. He has zero flaws in his game and he has had to win multiple rings with a hand tied behind his back by a league that keeps taking draft picks from him for non infractions and is well known as the hardest worker on his team year in and year out. Smart is a guy that shows up and doesn't contribute in the single most critical part of the game (offense) and then shows up for the last 2 minutes of the game.

What would happen if Brady kept throwing INTs every game and then snuck the ball for one yard at the end of the game each time? 

I know some people would love it and say a win is a win and that he's a great late game QB and that he makes winning plays and that's their right.

I don't hate Smart. I want to see this from him all the time for 48 minutes. I want him to come back a little better every year like Brady. I want him to have great games for the whole game all the time.

It's time for him to raise his game and his consistency and it really really is because it's a contract year for him.

Can you name a more physical, hard nosed, defensive guard in the league than Marcus Smart?

« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2017, 12:07:26 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Post-game Harden:

'How do you only have two officials?' James Harden shares his frustration with only having two officials calling a nationally televised game, saying there were "a lot of no-calls that needed to be called."

Because I guess having a 3rd official would have gotten you 20 free throws rather than the meager 15 you were given.

« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Thank you.

That is exactly what I meant.

« Reply #698 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Post-game Harden:

'How do you only have two officials?' James Harden shares his frustration with only having two officials calling a nationally televised game, saying there were "a lot of no-calls that needed to be called."

Because I guess having a 3rd official would have gotten you 20 free throws rather than the meager 15 you were given.

Lol harden is such a whiner

« Reply #699 on: December 29, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Can you name a more physical, hard nosed, defensive guard in the league than Marcus Smart?
Avery Bradley. And he can play offense too.

« Reply #700 on: December 29, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
You would be too if you had 5 lbs of hair on your face and sweat that much. Harden must buy acne creams by the gallon.

« Reply #701 on: December 29, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Nope, Avery Bradley is not more physical than Marcus Smart. Anyone else?

« Reply #702 on: December 29, 2017, 12:12:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
You would be too if you had 5 lbs of hair on your face and sweat that much. Harden must buy acne creams by the gallon.
Idk man. You'd never see it, right?

« Reply #703 on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Nope, Avery Bradley is not more physical than Marcus Smart. Anyone else?
What exactly do you mean by "physical?" 

« Reply #704 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:26 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Large physically, and being able to use that size to overpower opponents. Think Shaq.