Author Topic: Our Rookies may come back men-who is your favorite.  (Read 2313 times)

Our Rookies may come back men-who is your favorite.
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Given about 3/4 of season and now with private workout starting in June and the month of July to get in shape. The NBA speed and length and pressure they put themselves under while playing for a contender.
Grant shot 1-22 then then shot three ball at a high average after all star break.
Romeo was showing flashes on defence and offense. Drawing hard charges and included guarding Lebron tough two times. And his work as a weak side rim protector was surprisingly good or using his length to harass from behind.

Carsen had the toughest transition from college, as his shot wasn't automatic once the season started .I think it takes time to adjust from defence to offense and in spot minutes. That's a lot on a rookies plate. Waters had a very good G league and Taco improved dramatically

.Javonte slashed and was killer in transition ..the Celtics switch ability needs so much more preparation on opponents strengths and weaknesses ,A lot of preparation and film at both ends.All the traveling Carsen used the familiar vest term The Grind.

My favourite is Romeo, sort of a puzzle as his demeanour is as stoic as his game is smooth. When he plays defence his footwork is impressive and he gets up quick with little gathering  and he has that almost 7ft wingspan.. He moves his feet laterally it is one of the few times  you can feel a sense of urgency as he cuts off angles.

Help me here how good is Romeo??

He played hurt his freshman year with ligament damage to thumb a mild wrist sprain was enough to throw my shot off , Having offseason surgery and rehab limited his draft process and the build up to individual workouts The Summer League experience and workouts. Then training camp and a series of nagging injuries. Then a series of nagging injuries. Knee sprain ,ankle sprains and a groin pull probably all interconnected and part of a young kid pushing his body against grown men.
So any growth was sort of stunted..I have watched AAU tapes the kid has always been smooth it is effortless like he knows that he is getting to a spot and his length will take over. And he is right it does He finished over Jordon vs Nets like it was a walk in the park with a measured unfolding flick of finger roll.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:48:43 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Our Rookies may come back men-who is your favorite.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good post rollie, a tp to you. and i hope you are well and safe these days.

next, on romeo...when aing drafted him i did not think much of him. but as you note his defense has been far better than expected. and that shows some intelligence as well on his part. i thought he would be a poor defender.

when he attacks the basket he reminds me of evan turner, so many moves to get to where he wants to be. then his shot close in is consistently good.

the wart is his 3 point shooting, again ala turner. but his hand was injured in college. so who knows what his ability is. plus, if the celtics can change smart into a credible 3 point shooter, there is hope for romeo.

romeo has a higher ceiling than i initially thought. he will be fun to watch develop.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Carsen had the toughest transition from college, as his shot wasn't automatic once the season started .I think it takes time to adjust from defence to offense and in spot minutes. That's a lot on a rookies plate.

I'm a believer. I want to make a couple of points about him:

1) His 3-pt shooting was .309, which is pretty far down there. But consider the totals: he was 21/68, which is not a whole lot of attempts. If he'd made 25 instead of 21, he would have been above league-average. Does anyone doubt that a couple of those misses, or even four of them, could easily have been makes? He's going to be very good from long range.

2) The real problem as a scorer was the drive. He just couldn't get to the rim or get an unchallenged shot in close. He's real quick with the dribble, with both hands, both directions, and has good balance to take a hit and maybe finish - but if he wants to be an NBA rotation player getting to the rim is the area he most needs to improve. And he didn't get to the line much - these two are related.

He's got a good repertoire for freeing himself up for the three - sidesteps to both sides and showed signs of a step-back, very useful at his height.

And he's got a pump fake move that gets him with one dribble into an open midrange area for an uncontested jumper; he's got enough of a stroke that that might actually be an efficient shot for him.

3) I'm bullish on his defense, too, though he got abused a lot. He's got great burst to stay in front of dribblers and good lower body strength, good intensity, gets up in his man - and I'm going to cautiously praise his anticipation, though he got beat off his mistakes way too much.

As usual people judge rookies too quickly. I say he's got NBA rotation-player upside.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:45:36 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm a huge Grant Williams fan.  And hearing that he spent a lot of quarantine staying with Kemba makes me much more optimistic of his offense and ability to defend smaller players.  If his shooting improved, that would do a ton for his offensive game.

I think he'll continue to struggle playing post defense, though, which is a shame because I like the switch-everything small ball lineups with him at the 5 (in small doses). Kemba isn't exactly an ideal practice partner for post ups, but maybe he has some tips for when you're the shorter player in a post up situation? We'll see
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like Grant Williams alot , but i guess Waters is my favorite , he is so fun to watch and easy to cheer for.  Just a good dude.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I'm hoping we see more of Romeo, I think he's got so much upside.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i'm a big romeo fan!  five star recruit coming out of high school, #5 on espn and 247sports, #6 on rivals.  got hurt in his freshman year, played through, and still avg 16.5/5.4.  ainge got luck in this draft and romeo fell to him.  had he not been hurt, he's gone in the top ten.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
TP for the OP (rollie).

Langford has been a pleasant surprise on defense. He has the most potential.
Looking forward to see whether he has improved.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ve loved Grant since he was at Tennessee. Definitely not stopping now. I think he’ll be a really solid playoff piece for us in certain matchups.

I also like Romeo, and loved the flashes he had been showing at the end of the pre-shutdown season. Way better defensively than I imagined.

Waters will be more of a next year guy IMO.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Javonte -- could make an impact regular season under the bubble he so explosive in transition.
If teams are not ready physically .he could dust some 2nd team players..

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
GRANT is easily my favorite of our rookies this season.

His ceiling is pretty close to his floor, IMO.  Solid role player who can play with the starters without sticking out. Defends a bunch of different positions.  Makes the right play, tries hard, doesn't cause problems.

Too undersized to ever be a go-to scoring option or be a full time starter defensively.  A perfectly fine role player.  He's kind of like Semi Ojeleye but does more for you even if his shot isn't falling. Also more of a big, whereas Semi is more of a wing.

Romeo gets an incomplete grade for the season.  As expected he barely saw the floor this year.  My reservation about that pick all along has been the feeling that he's not going to be in a position to get enough playing time or earn a large enough role to work out his flaws at the NBA level in a reasonable time frame.  Best case scenario is that he's Avery Bradley 2.0, a well regarded college prospect who falls in the draft due to injuries / jumpshot and ends up blooming late in his rookie contract as a scrappy role player.  I am sure that is what Danny Ainge saw in him on draft night. 

I think Romeo could eventually become an Iman Shumpert / Kent Bazemore type player.  But I also suspect that most of the value he provides over the course of his career will be for other teams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is such a Rollie thread title. 

Love it!!

TP my friend.

Can't wait for the games to resume.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Langford. He has upside. The other rookies don't excite me as we kind of know what they are.