Author Topic: What did Jerry West know and when did he know it?  (Read 7164 times)

Re: What did Jerry West know and when did he know it?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Love the revisionist history here. That trafe wsd a horrible trade at the time. Transformed the Lakets into championship team. Memphis has not even made the finals

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Love the revisionist history here. That trafe wsd a horrible trade at the time. Transformed the Lakets into championship team. Memphis has not even made the finals
In the immediate, it looked like a bad trade for Memphis but, the Grizzlies did get two 1st rounders and the rights to Marc Gasol, so to evaluate the trade properly, you have to wait to see what the future assets become. Marc Gasol ended up being a 3 time All-Star and won a Defensive Player of the Year award while Memphis went to the playoffs for an unprecedented, for the Grizzlies franchise, 7 straight years. So looking at the trade, it was a very even trade.

Remember, in the immediacy of the Brooklyn-Celtics trade people thought the Celtics got shafted and most Celtic fans hated that trade. But you have to wait to see what the draft picks became and they ended up being great picks that ended up landing Brown, Tatum, Langford and a couple years of Kyrie here in Boston. Looking at that trade now, and not in the immediate moment of the trade, Boston killed Brooklyn in that trade

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A lot is being thrown around about tampering and the Lakers feelings being hurt that Kawhi took them for a ride. It is always amazing how Jerry West AKA the logo always seems to skate when he tampers with other team's players.  West has a history of tampering the best example being the Shaq heist from Orlando. He also seemed to get Gasol for peanuts from the Grizzlies. Dont know how he came in and scooped KD from OKC. The most recent signing of Kawhi suggests that West may have been up to his old tricks again. It is quite probable that West and Kawhi had hatched a plan to get him to the Clippers long before Kawhi became a free agent.

Jerry West wasn't the Lakers GM when they acquired Gasol, which happened in Feb 2008. He had left 6 years earlier to be GM of the Grizzlies.

Yes, Jerry West left the Lakers in 2002. He was GM with the Grizzlies until 2007. Jerry West was denies it but many believe that he had his hands in the Gasol to Lakers for peanuts deal.

Yeah, Marc Gasol was peanuts.  LOL.
He was a big fat peanut at that time who was drafted at number 48.
He was the MVP of the Spanish League.  Wallace demanded he be included in the trade because Wallace had a pretty good idea of what he could become.  That is also why they gave him a 3 year, 10 million dollar contract that summer (that was more than the vast majority of 1st round picks got that year).  They also got 2 firsts, Crittenton, and salary relief.  They turned Crittenton into another 1st.  So they got the MVP of the 2nd best league in the world, 3 1st round picks, and salary relief.  That isn't a bad trade for the Grizzlies and it wasn't at the time either especially since Pau didn't exactly have a huge market.  He was thought of as a soft 1st round choker.  He was obviously better than that, but that was his M.O. in Memphis before the Lakers trade.

And West had stepped down well before the trade was made so I have no idea why anyone would associate that trade with Jerry West.  He wasn't involved with either franchise at the time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
A lot is being thrown around about tampering and the Lakers feelings being hurt that Kawhi took them for a ride. It is always amazing how Jerry West AKA the logo always seems to skate when he tampers with other team's players.  West has a history of tampering the best example being the Shaq heist from Orlando. He also seemed to get Gasol for peanuts from the Grizzlies. Dont know how he came in and scooped KD from OKC. The most recent signing of Kawhi suggests that West may have been up to his old tricks again. It is quite probable that West and Kawhi had hatched a plan to get him to the Clippers long before Kawhi became a free agent.

Jerry West wasn't the Lakers GM when they acquired Gasol, which happened in Feb 2008. He had left 6 years earlier to be GM of the Grizzlies.

Yes, Jerry West left the Lakers in 2002. He was GM with the Grizzlies until 2007. Jerry West was denies it but many believe that he had his hands in the Gasol to Lakers for peanuts deal.

He was the MVP of the Spanish League.  Wallace demanded he be included in the trade because Wallace had a pretty good idea of what he could become.  That is also why they gave him a 3 year, 10 million dollar contract that summer (that was more than the vast majority of 1st round picks got that year).  They also got 2 firsts, Crittenton, and salary relief.  They turned Crittenton into another 1st.  So they got the MVP of the 2nd best league in the world, 3 1st round picks, and salary relief.  That isn't a bad trade for the Grizzlies and it wasn't at the time either especially since Pau didn't exactly have a huge market.  He was thought of as a soft 1st round choker.  He was obviously better than that, but that was his M.O. in Memphis before the Lakers trade.

And West had stepped down well before the trade was made so I have no idea why anyone would associate that trade with Jerry West.  He wasn't involved with either franchise at the time.
The conspiracy theory was that West helped open the channels between the teams and did so because he wanted to see a player he liked, Pau Gasol, playing for the team that made West the Logo, if he wasn't going to be in Memphis.

I never really cared enough to try to find out if it was true, but that seems to be the gist of it, from what I can remember.

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/jerry-west-explains-how-clippers-landed-kawhi-leonard-paul-george/x7gpa5hg4yzq1j74egnw6i5cs

Jerry West admits that Kawhi recruited PG. Wouldnt it be nice to know when this recruiting occurred and whether the Clippers were clued in or encouraged the recruiting?

What is the timeline, Jerry?

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The conspiracy theory was that West helped open the channels between the teams and did so because he wanted to see a player he liked, Pau Gasol, playing for the team that made West the Logo, if he wasn't going to be in Memphis.

I never really cared enough to try to find out if it was true, but that seems to be the gist of it, from what I can remember.
and?  West wasn't associated with either team, he couldn't make any trades.  I imagine he did want Pau to end up in a nice situation and the Lakers were a nice situation (i.e. 2 Finals wins and another Finals appearance), but so what.  I don't see how he has anything to do with that trade.  Really strange the lengths the conspiracy nuts will go to on things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

and?  West wasn't associated with either team, he couldn't make any trades.  I imagine he did want Pau to end up in a nice situation and the Lakers were a nice situation (i.e. 2 Finals wins and another Finals appearance), but so what.  I don't see how he has anything to do with that trade.  Really strange the lengths the conspiracy nuts will go to on things.
Like I said, the conspiracy theory at the time. I didn't care how true or not that conspiracy was and I really don't care how true or not Ogaju's current conspiracy is. Gasol ended up in LAL, Durant in GSW and Kawhi and PG in LAC. I really could not care less how they got there.

Did West tamper? Who cares? Didn't just about two thirds of the teams tamper this offseason? Including Boston and Ainge?

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Russian collusion!

now its the Clippers  :P