Author Topic: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?  (Read 24604 times)

Re: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Would Philly give up Embiid or Noel if they land the #1 or #2 pick?  If so, would we want either of them?

I'd trade one 1st rounder and Sullinger for Noel, or two 1st rounders and Sullinger for Embiid.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Would Philly give up Embiid or Noel if they land the #1 or #2 pick?  If so, would we want either of them?

I'd trade one 1st rounder and Sullinger for Noel, or two 1st rounders and Sullinger for Embiid.
I doubt it, I think they'd just draft another big man and see who develops and how well.

You need more than two quality big men to win in this league typically.

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I see them as players of completely different caliber.

Okafor - Tim Duncan - can't miss
Towns - Derrick Favors
WCS - Tyson Chandler

I'd sell the farm for Okafor.

Okafor is closer to jefferson than duncan. Average impact on the defensive. He doesnt seem interested in playing tough physical defense imo

I like harrell better. Not as skilled but a force and unpleasent to play against

Are you saying you prefer Harrell over Okafor?

If so that's just crazy, not to be disrespectful but Okafor is a once in a generation big man. His feel for the game is the best I have seen out of any big man in college since Duncan and he is only a freshamn. He may never be an elite defender but he will be the best post scorer in the NBA for the next 10-12 years. That kid is a 18pt+ 8rb+ as a rookie.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
This thread is a minimum of 3 months too early because of all the roster flux, injuries, good/bad performances, etc. To come but I'll bite since I love draft discussion.

If we somehow end up with a top 5 pick (unlikely), I could see Phily as a trade partner. Mudiay seems like a fit for Phily given that they have Noel and Embiid already. I could see them drafting BPA at 1 or 2 and then trading down to the spot Mudiay goes in exchange for more assets.

Otherwise, I think we are picking in the 6-12 range. The guy I really want to get a good look at between now and April is Myles Turner. He seems the most likely high potential 7 footer to fall to our pick range and I think we could actually move up from say 10 to 7 to draft him. After him I'd target Dakari Johnson in the late teens to 20's.

No thanks on Harrell - with a lottery pick anyway. I've had more than my fill of moderately talented PFs masquerading as undersized centers. Reminds me of Faried. Nice player, but not a cornerstone.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Be mature, we are not getting Towns or Okafor. That's a fact. We should talk about the other guy, WCS, Myles Turner, Dakari, Kaminsky, Porzingis.

And maybe Ainge decides to use our better pick draft not a center, but a small forward or other thing, and then use the Clippers pick to draft someone like Kaminsky (I don't if he has any future, but I can see Brad admiring his style) or Dakari.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:51:30 PM by jonaslopes »
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I see them as players of completely different caliber.

Okafor - Tim Duncan - can't miss
Towns - Derrick Favors
WCS - Tyson Chandler

I'd sell the farm for Okafor.

Okafor is closer to jefferson than duncan. Average impact on the defensive. He doesnt seem interested in playing tough physical defense imo

I like harrell better. Not as skilled but a force and unpleasent to play against
You're probably right.  Stylistically he might be more like Jefferson.  Less face-up game from what I've seen.  My point is that these 3 guys grade out as A, B, and C+ caliber talents, so I don't think it's clear what we would we need to give up to get one of them.  Selecting Okafor will require the first pick and may be impossible.  WCS might be available when we pick.

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Nobody.
This is not the NFL.
Top 5 picks have infinitely better value than anything the celtics have right now.
(Although a big losing streak could put the celtics back in the mix as far as their own pick could be Top 5)

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
That's not true.  It's definitely happened before.  Remember Seattle trading up to get the #5 pick in order to land Jeff Green?  That's only time I can remember the C's doing it off the top of my head.  But it's definitely happened dozens of times before.

We know there will be at least one established, playoff-cusp team that lands in the top 5 that would prefer a veteran that can help immediately instead of another draftee.  They'll trade for slightly lower pick(s) if it can land them a veteran player.  By that point Sullinger will be a 3rd year vet, and AB a 4th year vet.

Obviously they aren't worth a top 5 pick on their own.  But Danny Ainge can offer as many as 4 first round picks over the next few years and STILL leave us with plenty of picks to keep deepening our talent pool.

What GM says no to 4 first round picks plus either Sullinger or AB?

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If Detroit or Philly end up with a top pick, they may be willing to pass on Towns or Okafor.  Or they may be willing to trade one of the young centers they already have.  The Celtics have the assets to get it done.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's not true.  It's definitely happened before.  Remember Seattle trading up to get the #5 pick in order to land Jeff Green?  That's only time I can remember the C's doing it off the top of my head.  But it's definitely happened dozens of times before.

We know there will be at least one established, playoff-cusp team that lands in the top 5 that would prefer a veteran that can help immediately instead of another draftee.  They'll trade for slightly lower pick(s) if it can land them a veteran player.  By that point Sullinger will be a 3rd year vet, and AB a 4th year vet.

Obviously they aren't worth a top 5 pick on their own.  But Danny Ainge can offer as many as 4 first round picks over the next few years and STILL leave us with plenty of picks to keep deepening our talent pool.

You really think Ainge would offer 4 first rounders & Sullinger for a top draft pick?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

If they're not going to be lottery picks, probably unprotected, every single one.

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

You really think Ainge would offer 4 first rounders & Sullinger for a top draft pick?
Imagine you're giving up a #27, 25, 20, and 19.  Clippers, Mavericks, Cleveland, Brooklyn.  Something like that.  Would it not make sense to unload those for Okafor?

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Imagine you're giving up a #27, 25, 20, and 19.  Clippers, Mavericks, Cleveland, Brooklyn.  Something like that.  Would it not make sense to unload those for Okafor?
Of course it would, which is why the opposing GM would demand multiple lottery picks from the C's themselves.

Would you have traded Smart/Parker/Wiggins/Embiid for four picks that low plus Terrance Jones?

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's not going to get the first pick in the draft. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

You can keep your picks If I'm the GM.
Quality over quantity all the time.