Poll

Who has a brighter future?

Jayson Tatum
18 (30%)
Luka Doncic
42 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?  (Read 6439 times)

Re: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think you can underscore enough the fact that Luka is the apparently unquestioned leader and top playmaker (not just scorer) for a team with a near .500 record in a very tough conference.

And he's a teenager.

That's a team with lots of veterans and a long-tenured coach that has won a championship.

Luka's been with the team for half a year and everybody seems to have bought in that he's the heart of the franchise.

It's incredible.

Tatum is a really nice young player and I'm glad he's on the Celts.  I think he's going to become a multiple-time All-Star scoring wing in the vein of guys like Michael Finley, Glenn Rice, Glenn Robinson, etc.  Maybe he'll even be on the level of a guy like Pierce.

But there's a big difference between "All-Star scoring wing" and "superstar lead playmaker," especially in the modern NBA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 05:32:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Love Tatum. Want him to retire a Celtic with a couple of Finals MVP's and I think he can do it.

The difference in playmaking ability between the two is just too much. Tatum still doesn't know how to bend the defense as a way of creating for others where it looks like second-nature for Doncic. He's so far ahead in that area and not far behind at all in any other area of the game.

That said, Tatum has the better physical profile and guys like Pierce and Durant learned how to become playmakers over time so Tatum could still wind up being the better player. But right now it looks like Luka.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'
Put Tatum on a team where he is the main guy right now and he drops 25+ points a night.
I don’t know if Tatum would be able to force Carlisle into making him the guy like Doncic has. Say somehow Tatum and Doncic swapped places, I wouldn’t know how many more shots he’d get than Barnes and DSJ. Luka maybe played 5 or so games before Carlisle made him the guy their offence runs through
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't think you can underscore enough the fact that Luka is the apparently unquestioned leader and top playmaker (not just scorer) for a team with a near .500 record in a very tough conference.

And he's a teenager.

That's a team with lots of veterans and a long-tenured coach that has won a championship.

Luka's been with the team for half a year and everybody seems to have bought in that he's the heart of the franchise.

It's incredible.

Tatum is a really nice young player and I'm glad he's on the Celts.  I think he's going to become a multiple-time All-Star scoring wing in the vein of guys like Michael Finley, Glenn Rice, Glenn Robinson, etc.  Maybe he'll even be on the level of a guy like Pierce.

But there's a big difference between "All-Star scoring wing" and "superstar lead playmaker," especially in the modern NBA.

How is Doncic the leader of the Mavs? Because he’s the primary ball handler? I’m sure having guys like Dirk, Jordan, Matthews, Barea don’t matter anymore.

And how soon people forget how well Tatum played in the playoffs just months removed from being a teenager himself. I guess a mediocre half-season is much more impressive than an ECF playoff run against Giannis, Embiid/Simmons, and LeBron.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

How is Doncic the leader of the Mavs? Because he’s the primary ball handler? I’m sure having guys like Dirk, Jordan, Matthews, Barea don’t matter anymore.

And how soon people forget how well Tatum played in the playoffs just months removed from being a teenager himself. I guess a mediocre half-season is much more impressive than an ECF playoff run against Giannis, Embiid/Simmons, and LeBron.
Mediocre? Less than a handful of rookies in league history have done what Doncic is doing, let alone as a teenager.

Tatum definitely did play well, but people are starting to overrate his playoff performance a bit. No doubt he was spectacular, but his inability to hit from deep reliably definitely hurt us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 06:22:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

No one is forgetting how well Tatum played in the playoffs.   Or at least I certainly haven't.    He played great.   But while an objective perspective includes those 19 games, it also has to include games before and since.

And for Doncic, it also isn't just about the 39 games played this season (which have hardly been "mediocre").  Those are validation at an NBA level of things people have seen in this kid at every level, including his amazing EuroLeague & EuroBasket performances.

It's not a knock on Tatum to point out how spectacular Doncic's performance has been.   People don't need to get so defensive.   It is possible to appreciate the talent of players who aren't Celtics without saying anything negative about the Celtics.

We have a lot of players on this roster who used to be "aren't Celtics" players that a lot of us liked as players long before they got here.  And clearly Danny liked them too ... or he wouldn't have brought them here.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

No one is forgetting how well Tatum played in the playoffs.   Or at least I certainly haven't.    He played great.   But while an objective perspective includes those 19 games, it also has to include games before and since.

And for Doncic, it also isn't just about the 39 games played this season (which have hardly been "mediocre").  Those are validation at an NBA level of things people have seen in this kid at every level, including his amazing EuroLeague & EuroBasket performances.

It's not a knock on Tatum to point out how spectacular Doncic's performance has been.   People don't need to get so defensive.   It is possible to appreciate the talent of players who aren't Celtics without saying anything negative about the Celtics.

We have a lot of players on this roster who used to be "aren't Celtics" players that a lot of us liked as players long before they got here.  And clearly Danny liked them too ... or he wouldn't have brought them here.

Ditto.

I think Tatum is a great talent and he should be a great scorer in the league for years to come. But if I had two choose between the two of them right now to be part of my core, it'd be Doncic. He just has an all around game at such a young age. He's already doing what I hope Tatum can develop an ability to do: effect the game even when he doesn't score.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

Everything about Dallas has been mediocre. As for his stats, they are good, but not unbelievable like some make them out to be.

We’ve all heard this last year about Simmons and Mitchell (who had better stats and better records), and more exposure has brought them down to reality (like you apparently think think about Tatum).

Nobody gets defensive over Tatum, as I believe most wouldn’t think twice about trading him for AD (at least I wouldn’t). And since this is a comparison thread, they are being judged against each other, which I don’t think is so clear-cut as some do.

Both are so young with very different skill sets. I don’t know who would argue that an elite wing is more important in today’s game (and probably any era) than an elite point guard.

This is about confirming one players greatness based on half a season. Doncic has been deemed a special, transcendent player where even Ayton is a bust now because of how amazing Luka is. He’s been a “pro” for how long? He’s as advanced a teenage rookie as we’ve seen. Does he have the same growth potential as others? Maybe, maybe not. He may have already learned what it takes several years for high school/college kids to learn once they get drafted.

And yes, I would put more stock in 20 playoff games against the NBA elite than 40 games against whoever, whenever.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

Mediocre? Less than a handful of rookies in league history have done what Doncic is doing, let alone as a teenager.

Tatum definitely did play well, but people are starting to overrate his playoff performance a bit. No doubt he was spectacular, but his inability to hit from deep reliably definitely hurt us.

How is it overrated? I know Tatum is in slump but this thread is really just gone on an anti Tatum brigade.

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

How is it overrated? I know Tatum is in slump but this thread is really just gone on an anti Tatum brigade.

Lol, you've been calling this an anti-Tatum thread since page 1 when people barely responded. No one has denigrated Tatum, but I think it's fair to point out holes in his game.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

And he's a teenager.

It's incredible.

The Mavs aren’t going anywhere, it’s been mediocre no doubt. They won’t make the playoffs and aren’t even .500. But I guess their run has been magical because they exceeded expectations riding on Doncic’s cape.

As for Doncic as an individual, are you really saying he’s currently having one of the 3-4 greatest rookie seasons ever?

The lovefest for him is getting bizarre lol.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 03:00:25 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
do you think ainge had any chance to go get doncic?    brown and more stuff?  [dang], that would have been sweet.

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:27 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
do you think ainge had any chance to go get doncic?    brown and more stuff?  [dang], that would have been sweet.
No.  Atlanta made the trade with Dallas because it only dropped them a couple spots so they could still get Trae Young. 

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 03:31:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Play off games is where it matters. I don't remember anyone defending CP3 for failing in the post season 

And i am not sure what the bold part means. 43% last season 36% this season. Obviously he is not as good this season but 36% is not bad enough to say it hurts the team

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Play off games is where it matters. I don't remember anyone defending CP3 for failing in the post season 

And i am not sure what the bold part means. 43% last season 36% this season. Obviously he is not as good this season but 36% is not bad enough to say it hurts the team

He only shot 32% from deep in the playoffs last year is what he means.
2021 Houston Rockets