Poll

Who has a brighter future?

Jayson Tatum
18 (30%)
Luka Doncic
42 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?  (Read 6436 times)

Re: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Tatum is approaching a crossroads where his game will either emulate Kobe/Melo, inefficient but supremely talented, or Durant, efficient relatively unselfish offensive player.

He probably won't reach those MVP caliber ceilings but his style of play will move in one of those direction.

During his rookie season I thought that he was going to follow the Durant model, but this year I see a lot of Kobe/Melo isolation/playing outside the offense and inefficient long 2s. Hopefully he'll correct back to the more efficient version of himself. If he continues down the Kobe/Melo path I would trade him in a heart beat for AD. One thing that gives me hope that he's coachable and will figure it out is I still see lots of effort on D.
Given the choice between Kobe and Durant, I'll take Kobe. 

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There have been a lot of European players that never came close to the hype they received during their draft process. There were stories on Doncic coming over to the NBA when he was around 17 or so. This may have been the first time when the pre-draft hype did not do the player justice. Before the draft, I was hoping Danny would try to trade Brown and the Brooklyn/Sacramento pick to move up for Doncic. To me, Doncic seemed like his game would match up to Gordon Hayward and almost serve as insurance in case Gordon never got back to 100%. Doncic is must see TV, so I try to watch whenever the Mavs are playing.

I love Tatum, and think he is perfect for the Celtics. However, I don’t feel like he is comfortable in the role he is in currently. I know most people will disagree, but I want to see him take more mid-range shots, instead of just seemingly floating beyond the three point line. This is the area where he seems most comfortable. Yes, he should continue to take the open threes when there available too. However, the mid-range shot feels like it’s a free throw for the guy. If the shot your most comfortable shooting starts going in, the whole floor seems to open up too.

If I had to choose between the two players, I would go with Doncic. His BBIQ is off the charts, he seems to embrace a leadership role and there is nothing he can’t do on the court.

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Luka can do it all
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Tatum is approaching a crossroads where his game will either emulate Kobe/Melo, inefficient but supremely talented, or Durant, efficient relatively unselfish offensive player.

He probably won't reach those MVP caliber ceilings but his style of play will move in one of those direction.

During his rookie season I thought that he was going to follow the Durant model, but this year I see a lot of Kobe/Melo isolation/playing outside the offense and inefficient long 2s. Hopefully he'll correct back to the more efficient version of himself. If he continues down the Kobe/Melo path I would trade him in a heart beat for AD. One thing that gives me hope that he's coachable and will figure it out is I still see lots of effort on D.
15 or 20 years ago I would have agreed, now I would not.  Kobe was a great player in his era but his game doesn't translate well to this era of basketball.  I would take Durant's game with Kobe's competitiveness all day every day.

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like how Doncic passes the ball and tries to make his teammates better.  Tatum is a Black Hole like McHale used to be.

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Doncic.

But I still love Tatum  :)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

15 or 20 years ago I would have agreed, now I would not.  Kobe was a great player in his era but his game doesn't translate well to this era of basketball.  I would take Durant's game with Kobe's competitiveness all day every day.
Even then I would have still taken Durant, he is much better all around offensive player and they are comparable defensively.  Add in Durant's size and length and you take him over Kobe every single time no matter the era. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Luca is a Superstar in the making... In the mold of Bird, Dirk, Duncan.

Tatum is an Allstar in the making... In the mold of Grant Hill, McGrady, and Melo.

Both will be good to great players but Luca is going to be a very special player...

Concur.

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Right now, its gotta be Doncic.  Better all around game plus the edge in age. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Even then I would have still taken Durant, he is much better all around offensive player and they are comparable defensively.  Add in Durant's size and length and you take him over Kobe every single time no matter the era.
Give me the true alpha dog not someone who is comfortable playing 2nd fiddle. 

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Give me the true alpha dog not someone who is comfortable playing 2nd fiddle.
the problem with Kobe's alpha dog status is that it arguably cost the Lakers championships. If he could have coexisted with Shaq they'd probably have 1 or 2 more.

In the end both Durant and Kobe are probably top 20 all time players. It's hard to quibble with anyone's preference for either. I personally would take Durant in today's game. I appreciate what Kobe did during the era but he was at his core a selfish player whose ego drove good players from the team. You can be an alpha and be competitive without losing site of the end goal winning. I think Kobe lost sight of that, especially at the end when he couldn't carry a team alone, but this has gotten way OT and out of respect to the OP. If Tatum hits his ceiling of Durant I'd take him, but Doncic will be an amazing pro.

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Luka just does everything on offense that you want from a lead playmaker in today's game.

Tatum has nice moves, a really nice outside jumper, good size.  He's excellent, but Luka is the complete package, including consistency (which Tatum has yet to figure out) at 19.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Had the playoffs not happened last year I would say Luka like most too but man did Tatum step up big-time when the spotlight was on him, it was an historic rookie performance. I think he is playing a little shrunken this year with Kyrie, Morris, Hayward, etc all stacked up in the roster.

If this season's Celts could be described in one word it would be 'disarray'. Just tons of experimenting with lineups to date. And with our full roster healthy we still don't have it figured out, and I don't think we're close to having it figured out. I'm starting to think that we have a lot of puzzle pieces that just don't fit together quite right and probably never will.

That being said guys like Tatum, Brown, etc IMO have not been able to focus on a specific role and I don't think either of them have performed anywhere near their potential this year.

Say what you will, Doncic has a pretty clear role on his team and Dallas sees him as the future so his game is very clear when he's out on the floor. He's a brilliant player no doubt about it but my only point is that the comparison between Tatum and Doncic is not as easy as some are making it out to be.

Put Tatum on a team where he is the main guy right now and he drops 25+ points a night.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:26:28 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2019, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Luka just does everything on offense that you want from a lead playmaker in today's game.

Tatum has nice moves, a really nice outside jumper, good size.  He's excellent, but Luka is the complete package, including consistency (which Tatum has yet to figure out) at 19.

Yep.   Like some others here I watched a lot of Doncic during the EuroBasket tournament and he just stood out like a blazing diamond above all the rest (which included a LOT of NBA players) as having the "it" factor.   He has the special knack of always making the right basketball play.  Sees the entire court and at any instant seems just as likely to pass, drive or shoot.  Never really telegraphs that he's made up his mind and that sets the defense on edge because they just can't assume what he's going to do.    Larry Bird was that way.  Even when Larry told the defender what he was going to do, they still couldn't be sure and would get put on their heels!

He's not a super-fast explosive, Westbrook-style athlete.  But he's extremely strong, has very quick, precise hands and seems to just _be_ in the right place all the time, with or without the ball.   Very good rebounder, too.

'Love Tatum.  I think he has potential to be a perennial All-Star.

But Doncic is special.  He has the most complete game I've seen in such a young player in ages.  In fact I'm not sure I _have_ seen such a young player with such a complete all-around game.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Had the playoffs not happened last year I would say Luka like most too but man did Tatum step up big-time when the spotlight was on him, it was an historic rookie performance. I think he is playing a little shrunken this year with Kyrie, Morris, Hayward, etc all stacked up in the roster.

If this season's Celts could be described in one word it would be 'disarray'. Just tons of experimenting with lineups to date. And with our full roster healthy we still don't have it figured out, and I don't think we're close to having it figured out. I'm starting to think that we have a lot of puzzle pieces that just don't fit together quite right and probably never will.

That being said guys like Tatum, Brown, etc IMO have not been able to focus on a specific role and I don't think either of them have performed anywhere near their potential this year.

Say what you will, Doncic has a pretty clear role on his team and Dallas sees him as the future so his game is very clear when he's out on the floor. He's a brilliant player no doubt about it but my only point is that the comparison between Tatum and Doncic is not as easy as some are making it out to be.

Put Tatum on a team where he is the main guy right now and he drops 25+ points a night.

I think your point about be able to play within a specific role with confidence is an important one.   I think it definitely affects the level of play you will realize in the role you are in.

So ya, I too could see Tatum averaging mid-20s if he was dropped into a roster that expected him to be the #1 scoring option every game.

That said, I don't know if he'd suddenly be able to execute the complete, all-around game that Doncic does.   Doncic isn't just dropping 19.4 points in the hoop each game.  He'salso grabbing just under 6 boards and dishing just under 5 dimes each game.  He's played over half his minutes without any other point guard on the floor (and that is the case more and more) and in that configuration he's assisting almost 32% of his teammate's shots and scoring at an efficient 54.1% TS% while carrying a heavy 29% USG load.  That's a pretty amazing efficiency triple for a rookie, let alone a 19 year old.  More and more he's the pivot around which his team revolves, even on plays where he doesn't score or assist.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.