Author Topic: Celtics owner Grousbeck Talk Roster, Draft Picks, Spending  (Read 1476 times)

Celtics owner Grousbeck Talk Roster, Draft Picks, Spending
« on: January 04, 2019, 01:49:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/01/03/celtsqa/ckCTKkCtx2pDmTEvEEMFWI/story.html?event=event12

“What we’ll do over the next month is determine if there’s anything we can do in February [prior to the trade deadline] to advance the team to a new level,” Grousbeck said. “But when I look at the team right now, I feel really good about their character, really good about their skill, really good about the upside over the next 5-6 years, with young players and the draft.

“I feel overall confident and excited we can make some noise over the next 5-6 years with this core group, adding on when we can. But this season still does feel like a work in progress, and it feels like we’ve got a long way to go if we want to make some noise in May again, or even in June.”

On going after a superstar player:

“Well, this team is stacked with a lot of talented players on reasonable contracts, and a ton of draft picks. So that’s why our phone is already ringing. Our history is that we try to make the big deal and have gone for it. We try to put banners in the rafters. There’s only one so far [from our ownership group]. We’d like to have another one up there, and that may require another move, or just continued growth with these guys. We’ll have to see.”

On his role in looking for possible trades:

“We’ll just leave that in the mystery category. But what happens with trades is that they’re proposed by the basketball side and I’m kept up to date all along as the phone calls develop and as we think about what assets we might include and what the team might look like after a trade. And so I approve them or disapprove them, or try to change them, and that’s gone on for 16 years.”

On being in luxury tax territory, this season and beyond:

“We have a 16-year record of spending and putting the best possible team out on the court and I’ll just leave it at that. Everybody can see what we’ve done, knows what we’ve done and knows that we’ve put the Celtics first in every aspect.”

On the team’s stash of draft picks:

“I’m excited about all the draft picks we have now and in future years. It’s one of the reasons I’m so excited about the next six years as opposed to the next six games. The next six games we might go 0-6, but the next six years I feel pretty good about. I know both February and June will be very active. Because we have all these draft picks and young players, we get a lot of calls. And so Danny [Ainge], Mike Zarren, Austin Ainge, they get a ton of calls and try to figure out if there’s anything to recommend to me to make the team better. My view of this draft right now is it’s going to be as many phone calls as we’ve ever had. I don’t worry much about what players we end up drafting, because that’s completely on the basketball side.”

Re: Celtics owner Grousbeck Talk Roster, Draft Picks, Spending
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:48 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Hear that? That's the sound of efficient management - humming

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hear that? That's the sound of efficient management - humming
Great read.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Wyc's comment about their character is one of the most important IMO.  This is where people are jumping the gun when it comes to giving up on this particular group.  The young guys have been placed in a unique situation, and I believe they are all committed to figuring this thing out. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with facing adversity throughout the regular season.  Just because players are struggling to adapt to new roles doesn't mean that they are "selfish".  My confidence will remain high unless the locker begins to fracture.  So far there's nothing to suggest that this has happened.

The only player who might be a small issue is Rozier.  I'm concerned that he's feeling the pressure of the upcoming free agency.  He presses far too much on the offensive end. 

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
That sounds like an owner that knows this current team isn't winning the title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
interesting. i read the article and concluded the opposite, that he believes this team can (not will) win it all.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
interesting. i read the article and concluded the opposite, that he believes this team can (not will) win it all.
I only read the highlights from the thread (don't have access to the globe), but his talk of the future, of making the team better, etc. struck me as someone that was trying to sell the future because he didn't think the present was good enough.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Sounds like an owner who thinks they could if they play better and/or add another player that fills a vital need.

This next month will be crucial in that regard.  If they do not show improvement, I cannot seem them trading any valuable assets just to make a move in desperation.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

The only player who might be a small issue is Rozier.  I'm concerned that he's feeling the pressure of the upcoming free agency.  He presses far too much on the offensive end.

Thats m feeling , he is showing off and show casing himself instead of playing team oriented ball.  He seems not to have the team first attitude i expect in Boston

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I only read the highlights from the thread (don't have access to the globe), but his talk of the future, of making the team better, etc. struck me as someone that was trying to sell the future because he didn't think the present was good enough.
I think he is being realistic but also tempering expectations.  He said we're a step away not 5 and thinks we can still make some noise in May and June. 

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 07:15:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow, I didn't get that even a little bit. I am pretty sure you will be in the massive minority with your opinion.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I like what I read. It tells me they won’t make a dumb move and ruin what they have been building towards for so long. Don’t expect fireworks in Feb. It sounds like he loves the young core and looks forward to adding to it. Barring some historic Davis or Durant trade in offseason, I see us staying put and adding in the upcoming draft. We could still make finals this year as well. Lots of time to get better. In addition, big players turn it up in postseason. We have a few players that could take over a few games besides Kyrie including Tatum, Brown and Hayward. Panic is not needed even if we lose the next 6 games.