Author Topic: How much longer do we need to give hayward?  (Read 13509 times)

Re: How much longer do we need to give hayward?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 06:18:07 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
In the beginning of the season the excuse of him "working his way back" was reasonable for his play....but now we are nearly half a season in and he is still refusing the go to the rim or shoot the basketball and averaging a poor 10ppg

I understand it was a gruesome injury. but at some point Gordon needs to take off the training wheels because we really need his scoring.

I figured it would take the entire season. The physical side of it heals quicker than the mental side. His second surgery set him back and meant he couldn’t really use the offseason to go 5 on 5.

I’m starting to think it’s intended and part of the game plan for him to not look for his shot and instead they want him to pass and facilitate in that second unit. He’s not even in the top 5 in the team in FGA. Maybe he feels sensitive about coming in and taking shots away from his younger teammates and deferring to them because not all of them can take 15+ shots a game.

The hell to feeling sensitive.. If I was his teammate ill be seething with anger and tell it to his face that he isnt being paid 31 million to facilitate.. Come on, fix your ass and get aggressive to look for your shot more.. The guy uy has one of the nicest looking mid range pullups pre injury.. Just like what Kawhi does... But Leonard takes about 60 %of his shots that way...
Gordon shoots on the ave. 2 pull up mid range jumpers a game.. And a total of about 8 shots a game...that is atrocious.. There is a reason he was put on the second unit to punish the second unit of opposing teams but right now.. Other teams are feasting on him.
Your routinely off takes regarding Hayward have gotta stop man, c'mon. He's clearly in a state of both tentativeness (due to the injury and it's toll both physically and mentally) and wariness (not trying to disrupt chemistry as much as he can, as seen through his constant deferral).

It's also not as simple as just 'fix your ass'. For anyone who was paying attention to him this offseason, particularly after the second setback surgery, this level of performance isn't too surprising. His preseason was practically nonexistent, so he started off barely being in game-shape. People need to relax

Gordon doesn't just look bad, he looks horrific.

You will hear some people who love him or are in denial saying he is making some good plays etc. No he looks terrible out there and shouldn't even be getting anybody's minutes.
If he wasn't passing and rebounding well you might have a point

wow 5 rebounds a game 3.3 assists a gameand 1.5 turnovers a game. Man you got it man.

Actually his per 36 min stats are 14.2ppg / 6.8 rpg / 4.6 apg. His 1.8 tpg is good for equal sixth on the team. His shooting percentages are what need plenty of improvement he’s 40% from the floor and 32% from 3. That’s where he needs plenty of improvement. But hardly beyond horrific, just mediocre in comparison to his previous output (and based on peoples pre injury expectations of a max player which I think all the angst is coming from).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Rozier's 36

13.3  , 6.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists 1.3 turnovers

I dont care about all these advanced statistics when the guy cant make more than 2 shots a game, and is playing like a scrub.

I think Gordon was a very good player, probably still is or can be, but he sucks bad right now.

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I am not going to lie, I have been pretty optimistic about the Celts this year, even well into their early struggles. I expected them to start better than they did but it wasn't alarming to me, thought they would figure it out and find a groove.

Gordon is really starting to bum me out, he looks like a 7th or 8th man. I expected that by now coming off the bench he could make a difference instead our play drops off significantly when he gets brought in. We would be in such a great position right now if we hadn't signed him, and I know that's not fair because I was really excited when he signed, it is just starting to feel like this might always be a team of what if and we won't actually compete until we can get rid of his contract and get more top end talent.

Hopefully he looks better next year because I haven't seen enough progress to think he will be a game changer by the playoffs, at this moment I expect him to still be a bench player getting less than 30 minutes in the playoffs.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 07:07:01 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
As long as it takes.   He's not going anywhere.
Yup

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think February may be the time he makes it back to his old self.   I think a lot of it, is mental at this point.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He had that one game against Minny where he scored 30.  It came after a practice where he got angry and took over.  They talked about it before the game and sure enough he came out determined to score.  He got to the line 10 times that game.  That's the guy we need.  We need another guy to shoulder the scoring load after Kyrie.  Neither Brown nor Terry are that guy and Tatum's not ready yet.  He's not 100% physically yet, but the bigger problem is between the ears.  He's trying to fit in and not mess up.  He needs to be more selfish and aggressive.

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It doesn't look good. I expected Hayward to be playing better by now. Not necessarily his best but showing major improvement over where he was at the start of the season (which wouldn't be hard given how bad he was) ... which just hasn't happened.

Physically and athletically, Hayward does not look good. That is what worries me the most. Not wholly ready to write him off but I certainly no longer see it as an overwhelming likelihood that he returns to his previous bests from his Utah days. The odds of that keep dropping which each passing month.

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I hope he can be who he was by next season. I wish he becomes OK for this season.

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hayward has played 30 games.  He has been a key factor in many, including the big win over Toronto. The Celtics are going to be in the playoffs and it doesn't matter where they are seeded.  Just like it didn't matter where Lebron and the Cavs were seeded.  All the players just want to be healthy, especially Irving and Hayward.

Can't argue with what most are saying about his up and down play over the last 10.  I feel CBS with his "jack of all trades" talk didn't help the situation.  That should be talked about more.  CBS said some nights he will score 20 others he won't score much. There are also tons of stuff probably happening behind the scenes.  We should be thankful Hayward takes a backseat at times to let Brown and Rozier get in the flow.  If that didn't happen things could really get ugly. 

I would like to see something run for Hayward besides the horns set.  He also is open quite often with the second unit but doesn't get the ball.

It is interesting, if you watch the last 2-3 minutes of the game last night (I know too little too late) it was a different Hayward.  Almost as if he felt like he could be more aggressive and let loose.  There is a line in Risky Business that starts with " Sometimes you got to say..." Hayward should say that before every game. Because when that happens look out.   

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In the beginning of the season the excuse of him "working his way back" was reasonable for his play....but now we are nearly half a season in and he is still refusing the go to the rim or shoot the basketball and averaging a poor 10ppg

I understand it was a gruesome injury. but at some point Gordon needs to take off the training wheels because we really need his scoring.

I figured it would take the entire season. The physical side of it heals quicker than the mental side. His second surgery set him back and meant he couldn’t really use the offseason to go 5 on 5.

I’m starting to think it’s intended and part of the game plan for him to not look for his shot and instead they want him to pass and facilitate in that second unit. He’s not even in the top 5 in the team in FGA. Maybe he feels sensitive about coming in and taking shots away from his younger teammates and deferring to them because not all of them can take 15+ shots a game.

The hell to feeling sensitive.. If I was his teammate ill be seething with anger and tell it to his face that he isnt being paid 31 million to facilitate.. Come on, fix your ass and get aggressive to look for your shot more.. The guy uy has one of the nicest looking mid range pullups pre injury.. Just like what Kawhi does... But Leonard takes about 60 %of his shots that way...
Gordon shoots on the ave. 2 pull up mid range jumpers a game.. And a total of about 8 shots a game...that is atrocious.. There is a reason he was put on the second unit to punish the second unit of opposing teams but right now.. Other teams are feasting on him.
Your routinely off takes regarding Hayward have gotta stop man, c'mon. He's clearly in a state of both tentativeness (due to the injury and it's toll both physically and mentally) and wariness (not trying to disrupt chemistry as much as he can, as seen through his constant deferral).

It's also not as simple as just 'fix your ass'. For anyone who was paying attention to him this offseason, particularly after the second setback surgery, this level of performance isn't too surprising. His preseason was practically nonexistent, so he started off barely being in game-shape. People need to relax

Gordon doesn't just look bad, he looks horrific.

You will hear some people who love him or are in denial saying he is making some good plays etc. No he looks terrible out there and shouldn't even be getting anybody's minutes.
If he wasn't passing and rebounding well you might have a point

wow 5 rebounds a game 3.3 assists a gameand 1.5 turnovers a game. Man you got it man.
What an embarrassing attempt at a witty retort. How devoid of context can your posts get?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I hope he can be who he was by next season. I wish he becomes OK for this season.

Agreed. Look at PG13. Can take a long time.

What I worry about most is whether he’s lost his lift for good. Sometimes he gets to the rim with a euro step or a crossover and then he’s easily blocked at the rim. I think he’s often afraid to challenge other players; he passes at the end of a penetration most of the time. Which allows players to anticipate that and bother his passes.

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's interesting the way that some people seem to be personally offended that Hayward isn't playing better.

The issue for me is that the team can't reach the level we all expected them to reach if Gordon is going to be just an okay role player instead of an all star type wing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
1. Rozzier should never have more shot attempts than Hayward. EVER!  Especially if both playing 2nd unit.

2. What worries me the most about Hayward is his lack of aggressiveness.  I hope he understands that we don't care if he is missing shots - we just want him to stay engaged/aggressive.....otherwise he becomes what he is; A liability

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Deleted

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
One thing that I am starting to come to terms with is that there are only so many points to go around.  I think Tatum and Irving are both going to be 20 PPG scorers (Irving is obviously already there).  Based on this, I don't think Hayward will get to this level.  I'm hoping he can give us 15 and a bunch of assists and rebounds (as well as D).  His shooting percentages need to improve.