Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67028 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Mexico are my favourite team so far. They played some pretty football in the first half. A bit disappointed by how much defended deep and how early they changed into those defensive tactics but they do play some really nice stuff when they are passing the ball and looking to attack.

Herrera was fantastic in midfield.

Do you think this counter attacking style they played today will be sustainable moving forward?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Mexico are my favourite team so far. They played some pretty football in the first half. A bit disappointed by how much defended deep and how early they changed into those defensive tactics but they do play some really nice stuff when they are passing the ball and looking to attack.

Herrera was fantastic in midfield.

Do you think this counter attacking style they played today will be sustainable moving forward?

I think any team with Lozano in it can kill it in the counter attack. That guy is lethal in open space.

I love the spacing of the Mexico team. Their movement is beautiful. They way they get open and create passing angles for whoever is on the ball ... and they are always looking to get forward. They build from the back superbly with their keeper. Fantastic stuff.

Edit: I don't think Mexico is that counter-attack based. They are a possession based team. They were just playing another possession in Germany and Germany were better at maintaining possession so Mexico ended up in more of a counter attack situation. And with Lonzano and others, they have the players to exploit those situations.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:20:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Terrible game by Germany, but not completely unexpected.

Defensive movement in midfield was terrible, no cohesion or urgency on offense, mentality lukewarm. Comme ci, comme ca.
Seems like there's a rift in the team, too. Several players have come out in the last few weeks criticizing the attitude of their teammates on and off the pitch. Apparently, some of the younger players think very highly of themselves.

If they play like that against Sweden or South Korea, they might not even make it out of the group stage.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, Germany looked sluggish, but overall I thought that was a fantastic battle all-around. Lots of sets, chances, counter-attacks, great defense (especially from Mexico late), etc.

Mexico came out on top and honestly I'm happy for them. Also they are the first CONCACAF team to beat Germany in the World Cup.  ;D

Now I'm curious to see how Brazil does in their first game today. They aren't considered favorites but could still make a deep run this year.  But it's also possible they look sluggish today too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I really want Germany to make it all the way, but they couldn't even beat Mexico  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
My God, have mercy on us Phillipe Coutinho...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW, WHAT A GOAL!  :o

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I really want Germany to make it all the way, but they couldn't even beat Mexico  :(

Is that what you saw? Germany was clearly the better team. The celebrations at the end of the game shows that even Mexico knows they got away with one.

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Is that what you saw? Germany was clearly the better team. The celebrations at the end of the game shows that even Mexico knows they got away with one.

Germany looked better at times, but to be honest they looked quite sluggish most of the game. Give Mexico credit, they played a helluva game all-around, and Mexico is actually a really good team (not some "scrub" team in the field).

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Germany looked better at times, but to be honest they looked quite sluggish most of the game. Give Mexico credit, they played a helluva game all-around, and Mexico is actually a really good team (not some "scrub" team in the field).

True, but don't bring down confetti because you won an opening round game. Germany played like it was a league game while Mexico played like it was a championship game. Looked to me like Germany was conserving energy for later rounds which is smart strategy for a month long competition if you are expecting to be there at the end. It sucks that they lost, but they had the overall better strategy.

Mexico has scoreboard but Germany just did not look like they were too worried about this game - the game itself and the result.

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

True, but don't bring down confetti because you won an opening round game. Germany played like it was a league game while Mexico played like it was a championship game. Looked to me like Germany was conserving energy for later rounds which is smart strategy for a month long competition if you are expecting to be there at the end. It sucks that they lost, but they had the overall better strategy.

Mexico has scoreboard but Germany just did not look like they were too worried about this game - the game itself and the result.

Okay, but you have to realize Group F has Germany, Sweden, Mexico and South Korea. South Korea may end up last in the group but they are no pushovers either. For Mexico to get this win was huge because honestly a lot of people think Germany and Sweden advances from the group. And also, it's a little absurd to say it was a "league game" for Germany, because if Germany draws or even loses the next game against Sweden, they very likely could get knocked out in the group stages alone.

Even Iceland celebrated a draw against Argentina yesterday. It happens, and also this is actually a historic moment for both Mexico and CONCACAF as this is the first time a CONCACAF team (and Mexico) have beaten Germany in a World Cup game.

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't know we we are sugarcoating this... Germany for 70+ mind failed to create  a decent chance.They just had the ball.. That doesn't make them the  better side.

Hummels threw Löw under the bus saying I was alone with boateng in the back I don't understand why we played like this

It is a three game league. If you don't take every game seriously you are stupid. Italy won the 2006wc failed in the group stage 2010wc,Spain won in 2010 failed in the group stage 2014

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Great corner kick, great header, great goal by the Swiss  8)

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Great corner kick, great header, great goal by the Swiss  8)

I guess you are allowed to push off now, eh?

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I don't know we we are sugarcoating this... Germany for 70+ mind failed to create  a decent chance.They just had the ball.. That doesn't make them the  better side.

Hummels threw Löw under the bus saying I was alone with boateng in the back I don't understand why we played like this

It is a three game league. If you don't take every game seriously you are stupid. Italy won the 2006wc failed in the group stage 2010wc,Spain won in 2010 failed in the group stage 2014

No doubt you take each game seriously, but that was not a must win for Germany. I still dont like the way they were stifled so you must give credit to Mexico. Germany did most of their penetration from the wings, not sure that I agree with that approach. Stop wasting possessions on the wings the goal is in the middle. Work the ball in the middle and get in the box where the defender is more careful not to foul. Germany will play better.