Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156673 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #705 on: December 03, 2020, 10:41:44 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Going with Thunder Dan Marjerle as my SF

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.
Would've loved him at SG next to Nash. Not bad as a SF though.

I noted that during Dan's career he played some SG as well....seemed rather switchable. I think the same could be said for Reggie.

I think those two could work well together.
Yeah they definitely will. Do think that you could've found a better guy than Lewis but at least his man defence is unreal lol.

I was thinking I'd need a longer defensive-minded SG that could play SF next to Nash.  Reggie fit that bill and could score easily.

Thought long and hard about a more offensive-minded SG next to Nash and the guy is very good but limited me defensively.

At least with Marjerle and Reggie our perimeter defense is solid....and our backline (Gasol) is solid as well.

Neither of these guys averaged 30 points but I'm ok with that. In the modern day NBA they wouldn't have any issues getting around 20 or so.

« Reply #706 on: December 03, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Washington Wizards select Arvydas Sabonis.

He obviously lost a step when he got to the NBA, but he has the size to bother some of the bigger centers in this draft, has the ability to space the floor, and is one of the most skilled and best passing big men to ever live. He was still extremely productive in the late 90s, and I love the idea of a Stockton/Sabonis pick and roll.
If it weren't for the injuries, I truly believe Sabas would have been considered a GOAT candidate! I love this pick! Best Center available on the board, imo. Great fit next to Rodman as well.

« Reply #707 on: December 03, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He obviously lost a step when he got to the NBA, but he has the size to bother some of the bigger centers in this draft, has the ability to space the floor, and is one of the most skilled and best passing big men to ever live. He was still extremely productive in the late 90s, and I love the idea of a Stockton/Sabonis pick and roll.
I struggled with how to rate him given he came over post-injury and lost so much of his athleticism, but he did still have a 16/10/3 season in the league, which is obviously very good.
I rate him very highly. Scaled +/- loves him and the stuff he did on the court backs it up - a big man who can protect the rim well, shoot, pass and score without being ball dominant generally generates massive impact on good teams. Only concern is how little he played compared to his peers - his highest MPG in a season was 32 in an era where stars played almost 40 MPG.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #708 on: December 03, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Since I got Jokic, my #1 goal is to surround him with players who excel in a half court game. Need a hard-nosed PG who dictates the tempo on both ends of the court. Gimme the best defensive PG in the draft.

With the 5th pick of the 4th round, the Milwaukee Bucks select Dennis Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sAyIZiPJ0

• 3× NBA champion (1979, 1984, 1986)
  • NBA Finals MVP (1979)
  • 5× NBA All-Star (1979–1982, 1985)
  • All-NBA First Team (1981)
  • All-NBA Second Team (1980)
  • 6× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1979–1983, 1987)
  • 3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1984–1986)
  • No. 3 retired by the Boston Celtics
  • Naismith Hall of Famer

DJ was the Marcus Smart of the 80s, only a way better offensive player. I mean, he even won Finals MVP in 1979. Larry has said multiple times that DJ was the best player he ever played with.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:06:54 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #709 on: December 03, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Dude averaged like 16 and 10 for a couple of years in POR - not bad at all, lol.

His passing was unreal.

Rodman will help cover for his defense.

« Reply #710 on: December 03, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Going with Thunder Dan Marjerle as my SF

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.
Would've loved him at SG next to Nash. Not bad as a SF though.

I noted that during Dan's career he played some SG as well....seemed rather switchable. I think the same could be said for Reggie.

I think those two could work well together.
Yeah they definitely will. Do think that you could've found a better guy than Lewis but at least his man defence is unreal lol.

I was thinking I'd need a longer defensive-minded SG that could play SF next to Nash.  Reggie fit that bill and could score easily.

Thought long and hard about a more offensive-minded SG next to Nash and the guy is very good but limited me defensively.

At least with Marjerle and Reggie our perimeter defense is solid....and our backline (Gasol) is solid as well.

Neither of these guys averaged 30 points but I'm ok with that. In the modern day NBA they wouldn't have any issues getting around 20 or so.
Yeah I still think that your team is one of the better ones in this draft just because you're surrounding Nash with defensive talent that isn't useless offensively. Majerle being a supercharged version of Nash's backcourt mate in Phoenix will be very exciting.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #711 on: December 03, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Since I got Jokic, my #1 goal is to surround him with players who excel in a half court game. Need a hard-nosed PG who dictates the tempo on both ends of the court. Gimme the best defensive PG in the draft.

With the 2nd pick of the 4th round, the Milwaukee Bucks select Dennis Johnson.

• NBA Finals MVP (1979)
  • Naismith Hall of Famer

DJ was the Marcus Smart of the 80s, only a way better offensive player. I mean, he even won Finals MVP in 1979. Larry has said multiple times that DJ was the best player he ever played with.
About time. Great pick, and a great Celtic as wel.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #712 on: December 03, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

• NBA Finals MVP (1979)
  • Naismith Hall of Famer

Aaaaaaaaah I was worrying about which team will pick him up. Great pick.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #713 on: December 03, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

• NBA Finals MVP (1979)
  • Naismith Hall of Famer

Good pick.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #714 on: December 03, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Dude averaged like 16 and 10 for a couple of years in POR - not bad at all, lol.

His passing was unreal.

Rodman will help cover for his defense.
Best passing big man of all time, imo. Prime Sabas was way better than Jokic. Raw stats tell a different story, but this guy was unreal! Nate McMillan has said it the best: Sabas was a 7'3'' Larry Bird!

« Reply #715 on: December 03, 2020, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Sorry nick, my guy is on the board so no trade.

With their 4th pick, the Toronto Raptors will select one of only two men to win the DPOY award 4 times (and the only one available to be drafted), Ben Wallace.

Wallace provides the Raptors some much needed elite defense. In addition to the 4 DPOY awards, Wallace was if not the best, certainly the most important player, on a NBA Champion.  Led the league in rebounding multiple times.  Wallace will be able to do the dirty work defensively allowing Malone to be less tired for his offensive workload and thus bringing the best out of the Mailman.

Edit: Still contemplating which season I'm going to use as there are several solid choices for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #716 on: December 03, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

With their 4th pick, the Toronto Raptors will select one of only two men to win the DPOY award 4 times (and the only one available to be drafted), Ben Wallace.

Wallace provides the Raptors some much needed elite defense. In addition to the 4 DPOY awards, Wallace was if not the best, certainly the most important player, on a NBA Champion.  Led the league in rebounding multiple times.  Wallace will be able to do the dirty work defensively allowing Malone to be less tired for his offensive workload and thus bringing the best out of the Mailman.

Edit: Still contemplating which season I'm going to use as there are several solid choices for him.

Wondered when Wallace would go.

BEst defensive center in the draft, imo, but the worst offensively.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #717 on: December 03, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Wondered how far he would fall. Great defensively, but not gonna give you much on offense.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #718 on: December 03, 2020, 11:00:42 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Love the Wallace pick. I would’ve taken him at center if I didn’t pick Rodman.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #719 on: December 03, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Wondered when Wallace would go.

BEst defensive center in the draft, imo, but the worst offensively.
Yep, but when you have multiple elite scorers on your team you can have a bad offensive player in the lineup.  Wallace also played on a team with a lot of very good offensive players and played his role well, so I think he will fit just fine.  Athletic, can run, and can clean up the boards. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip