Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156903 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #690 on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
With the 3rd pick in the fourth round, the Houston Rockets select an underrated two-way guard who co-captained strong offences in Portland and terrorised small guards during his prime:

Terry Porter

I'm not joking about the terrorising small guards part, he legitimately abused some superstar guards who were smaller than him in the playoffs when he was at his best (John Stockton and Kevin Johnson say hello). There are a lot of teams who're starting small PGs in this draft, he'll be right at home bullying them :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #691 on: December 03, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Going with Thunder Dan Marjerle as my SF

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.
Would've loved him at SG next to Nash. Not bad as a SF though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #692 on: December 03, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
With the 3rd pick in the fourth round, the Houston Rockets select an underrated two-way guard who co-captained strong offences in Portland and terrorised small guards during his prime:

Terry Porter

I'm not joking about the terrorising small guards part, he legitimately abused some superstar guards who were smaller than him in the playoffs when he was at his best (John Stockton and Kevin Johnson say hello). There are a lot of teams who're starting small PGs in this draft, he'll be right at home bullying them :laugh:

It was Terry or Mookie for me. I really liked the fit of Mookie more (even though Porter and Clyde played together for years) I liked the high volume 3pt shooting and speed. I was really torn though and only solidly settled on Mookie yesterday.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #693 on: December 03, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
3 more picks to sit through hoping my guy falls.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #694 on: December 03, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I don't want that come across as being down on Moses so I'll add this -- what I was thinking but did not say yesterday.

In hindsight, I regret picking Doc #1. I should have chosen Moses #1 instead. I fell in love with an idea with Doc so I picked him. I knew the alternatives were not as good was my Plan A if that Plan A fell through but I gambled anyway. It did not work out.

I knew Moses offered me far options in terms of team building. In fact, I thought Moses had the highest floor in terms of team units to build around among the top picks (franchise type players).

In hindsight, now knowing that my Plan A wasn't possible ... I wish I had of taken Moses #1.

And I would not have built my team around him.

Building your team around your star - I think this is a really modern idea. I don't think you need to that 100% of the time. There are other ways to operate. Especially when you have All-Star caliber talent at every position.

Sometimes you go to. Some stars force you that way (ehem, Harden!). But not all do. Moses doesn't.

Moses adapted to very different teams during his years in Houston to his trade to Philadelphia. He is more adaptable as a player than he is given credit for.
This is why I thought Moses was the clear #1 guy.  He was just such a dominant scorer and rebounder that he provided so many team building options.  Then couple that with him willing to sacrifice numbers for the good of the team (his scoring took a big hit going from Houston to Philly) and really being such a good mentor for younger players later in his career (Barkley has talked glowingly of how Moses took him under his wing and guided him).  Plus, with the dearth of top tier centers, to me he was the only guy I would have taken at #1.  The Dr., Giannis, and Kobe weren't far behind and all certainly could have gone #1 from a pure value standpoint, but I never would have really considered anyone other than Moses.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #695 on: December 03, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I wasn't thinking any of these 3 guys taken would go in this round.  Never even would have considered them this early though admittedly I do have a PG and a SF, so that might be some of it.

« Reply #696 on: December 03, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Terry Porter

Was hoping he fell to me. He had one unreal year that is as good as any year a PG in this draft has put up statistically. Excellent selection.

« Reply #697 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.

I noted that during Dan's career he played some SG as well....seemed rather switchable. I think the same could be said for Reggie.

I think those two could work well together.

« Reply #698 on: December 03, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Terry Porter

Was hoping he fell to me. He had one unreal year that is as good as any year a PG in this draft has put up statistically. Excellent selection.
I really like his 4 year stretch from '90 to '93 with a real preference towards his '90 and '92 seasons - he had monster playoff runs in those two campaigns by bullying smaller guards.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #699 on: December 03, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I noted that during Dan's career he played some SG as well....seemed rather switchable. I think the same could be said for Reggie.

I think those two could work well together.
Yeah they definitely will. Do think that you could've found a better guy than Lewis but at least his man defence is unreal lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #700 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Terry Porter

Nice Pick.

Porter's a quality PG.

« Reply #701 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
The Washington Wizards select Arvydas Sabonis.

He obviously lost a step when he got to the NBA, but he has the size to bother some of the bigger centers in this draft, has the ability to space the floor, and is one of the most skilled and best passing big men to ever live. He was still extremely productive in the late 90s, and I love the idea of a Stockton/Sabonis pick and roll.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #702 on: December 03, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

He obviously lost a step when he got to the NBA, but he has the size to bother some of the bigger centers in this draft, has the ability to space the floor, and is one of the most skilled and best passing big men to ever live. He was still extremely productive in the late 90s, and I love the idea of a Stockton/Sabonis pick and roll.
I love me some Arvydas.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #703 on: December 03, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I struggled with how to rate him given he came over post-injury and lost so much of his athleticism, but he did still have a 16/10/3 season in the league, which is obviously very good.

« Reply #704 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

A true revolutionary in the sport. Wish he could have played in the NBA in his prime.
'21 Historical Draft