Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156240 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #675 on: December 03, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I don't want that come across as being down on Moses so I'll add this -- what I was thinking but did not say yesterday.

In hindsight, I regret picking Doc #1. I should have chosen Moses #1 instead. I fell in love with an idea with Doc so I picked him. I knew the alternatives were not as good was my Plan A if that Plan A fell through but I gambled anyway. It did not work out.

I knew Moses offered me far options in terms of team building. In fact, I thought Moses had the highest floor in terms of team units to build around among the top picks (franchise type players).

In hindsight, now knowing that my Plan A wasn't possible ... I wish I had of taken Moses #1.

And I would not have built my team around him.

Building your team around your star - I think this is a really modern idea. I don't think you need to that 100% of the time. There are other ways to operate. Especially when you have All-Star caliber talent at every position.

Sometimes you go to. Some stars force you that way (ehem, Harden!). But not all do. Moses doesn't.

Moses adapted to very different teams during his years in Houston to his trade to Philadelphia. He is more adaptable as a player than he is given credit for.
Hey, no worries. I agree that Moses' passing is his weakest aspect, and that's one thing i'll need to gameplan around. I think the thing you were saying about how you don't need to center an offense around Moses is spot on, and I think it makes building a team with him on it very fun; also think that the same thing could be said for Dr. J too.

I appreciate the in depth analysis on my team. You seem to have a good depth of basketball knowledge about the legends of the past, which is a bit of a weak spot for me. My age kind of shows sometimes.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #676 on: December 03, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't want that come across as being down on Moses so I'll add this -- what I was thinking but did not say yesterday.

In hindsight, I regret picking Doc #1. I should have chosen Moses #1 instead. I fell in love with an idea with Doc so I picked him. I knew the alternatives were not as good was my Plan A if that Plan A fell through but I gambled anyway. It did not work out.

I knew Moses offered me far options in terms of team building. In fact, I thought Moses had the highest floor in terms of team units to build around among the top picks (franchise type players).

In hindsight, now knowing that my Plan A wasn't possible ... I wish I had of taken Moses #1.

And I would not have built my team around him.

Building your team around your star - I think this is a really modern idea. I don't think you need to that 100% of the time. There are other ways to operate. Especially when you have All-Star caliber talent at every position.

Sometimes you go to. Some stars force you that way (ehem, Harden!). But not all do. Moses doesn't.

Moses adapted to very different teams during his years in Houston to his trade to Philadelphia. He is more adaptable as a player than he is given credit for.
Hey, no worries. I agree that Moses' passing is his weakest aspect, and that's one thing i'll need to gameplan around. I think the thing you were saying about how you don't need to center an offense around Moses is spot on, and I think it makes building a team with him on it very fun; also think that the same thing could be said for Dr. J too.

I appreciate the in depth analysis on my team. You seem to have a good depth of basketball knowledge about the legends of the past, which is a bit of a weak spot for me. My age kind of shows sometimes.

Yeah, that is one of my favourite things about Doc. He is a plug and play basketball player.

I also love that Doc understands sometimes that doing less individually can lead to more successful teams. Taking a step back to allow others to come forward and show their best self. To create best team dynamic. Not the best individual dynamic - a way of thinking that we see less and less in today's game but one I love and am a big believer in.

Doc the biggest star in basketball coming over from the ABA. Sixers GM says to him we don't want you to score 30ppg, we want three 20ppg scorers instead. Doc says fine. Build an offensive orientated team, Doc adapts. Build a defensive orientated team, Doc adapts. Bring in Moses as new #1 guy, Doc adapts.

Always able to adjust for the benefit of the team. To change himself and make it work for everyone else. I like that.

He has some universal skills that work in any environment but he combines that with the mentality & strength of character to not let his ego get in his way. To stay committed to a team-first approach. I love that.

And that is why I chose Doc over Kobe. I don't feel like Kobe has that (despite rating Kobe as having superior individual skill-level). Kobe has a Kobe-first policy and then work the rest around him - which is fine, just different & not the way I want to do things.

« Reply #677 on: December 03, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
First off, tps for everyone that gave me advice/comments/criticisms about my team. I love talking about this kind of stuff, and it makes these games super fun.

Second, I'll talk about Alex English in regards to 3pt shooting and defense. For 3pt shooting, I think because of how great of a midrange shooter he was, I think it reasonable to assume that he would develop a 3pt shot. It is an assumption, and I won't argue he'll be anything more than serviceable because of that. I think it'll be good enough to where the rest of his game would be unaffected in the modern game.

For defense, I'll say that he's an average defender. Nothing special, but not an absolute liability. I think that his circumstances devalued his defense. Not only was he playing at a run and gun, breakneck pace, he was also surrounded by defensive sieves for most of his career. He'll probably be my worst defender in my lineup, so I'm not too worried.
Yeah I think he'll be an alright low volume three point shooter, but it's not going to be a real threat to opposing defences or something that he can use to bump up his efficiency - I just don't like how English didn't develop a three point shot when his game was so shooting centric as well as the fact that he played most of his career in the three point era.

And yeah I certainly don't view him as a below average defender for his time for the reasons you listed. I just have concerns over his frame holding up against other forwards from different eras, he's just so thin for a player of his size as an average defender who shied away from contact a bit to begin with.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #678 on: December 03, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
There's a couple centers that I'm very surprised haven't been taken yet. Anyone who gets them would be getting steals.

« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
With their next pick the Spurs are looking to add wing defense, steals, 3 point shooting and speed.

There is 1 guy who checks all of those boxes who put up:
17.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 6apg and 2.7 steals per game while hitting 36.5% of his 7.5 3 point attempts per game (only 9 guys did that in the NBA this past season.

The Thief

Mookie Blaylock

Now have a collection of awesome knicknames
The Glide
The Thief
The Iceman
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #680 on: December 03, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
With their next pick the Spurs are looking to add wing defense, steals, 3 point shooting and speed.

17.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 6apg and 2.7 steals per game while hitting 36.5% of his 7.5 3 point attempts per game (only 9 guys did that in the NBA this past season.

Interesting pick. Good fit for your team, but I'm not sure if I'd take him before some of the other point guards on the board.

« Reply #681 on: December 03, 2020, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Interesting pick. Good fit for your team, but I'm not sure if I'd take him before some of the other point guards on the board.

I think there are arguably better PGs, but I want defense and 3 point shooting around Clyde and George. I dont think there is anyone better at those than Mookie.

With Clyde averaging 2 steals per game
Gerving averaging 1.5 steals per game
and Mookie averaging 2.7 steals per game

my team will hunt the passing lanes relentlessly. Add to that they are all able to play high octane, any error on an entry pass or a swing pass and its 2 points for me.

Offensively, Mookie gives me a high volume high % 3point shooter that will help space the floor for George Gervin.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2020, 10:14:51 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Also, Mookie had an OWS of 7 and a DWS of 5.6 and 12.5 win share the year I chose.

4.3 OBPM
2.4 DBPM
6.8 BPM
6.8 VORP

Statistically he is better than the point guards in the draft not names Nash or Stockton. (at least for a couple year period)
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #683 on: December 03, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I don't hate the pick. Mookie's RAPM numbers were massive even when he started to age a bit in the late 90s/early 2000s, they probably reflected how valuable his elite man and team defence was as well as his ability to shoot and pass on and off the ball. Not saying that he was some hidden monster at PG in the 90s, but I do think that he was a really good PG who could've made a few All-Star teams with his two-way play, and his game fits well with other on-ball stars in this format.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #684 on: December 03, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I really like the fit. Mookie was a very good defender, ball handler and had some really good three point shooting years.

He may not be the best on the board, but it's kinda fit that's more important at this point in time. It's why I took Granger when I did yesterday. I loved the fit. He wasn't the best on the board, but others couldn't give me what I was looking for in a SF.

So I get ya, Darth. Good pick!

« Reply #685 on: December 03, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I really like the fit. Mookie was a very good defender, ball handler and had some really good three point shooting years.

He may not be the best on the board, but it's kinda fit that's more important at this point in time. It's why I took Granger when I did yesterday. I loved the fit. He wasn't the best on the board, but others couldn't give me what I was looking for in a SF.

Good point. Talent versus fit is gonna become more and more important as the rounds go by.

« Reply #686 on: December 03, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Thanks

I really like the way my team is coming around. If I can get my guy with my next pick I will be very happy indeed.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #687 on: December 03, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Going with Thunder Dan Marjerle as my SF

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.

« Reply #688 on: December 03, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't really like the last two picks, but that is what I love about these things.  People just have so many different views on players.  Really does expand the knowledge base.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #689 on: December 03, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Going with Thunder Dan Marjerle as my SF

Another well-rounded player. Tough, good defender, good shooter from deep and can score.

That is a good fit.

I like Thunder Dan on your team. A great Target for Gasol and Nash kickouts.
'21 Historical Draft