Author Topic: Jemele Hill out at ESPN  (Read 31158 times)

Re: Jemele Hill out at ESPN
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Make sure you include her APOLOGY, CelticsElite.

ESPN’s Jemele Hill wrote this past Saturday that, "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim.  It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Apologies

Jemele Hill's personal apology:
"I deeply regret the comment I made in a column Saturday. In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words that I used. I pride myself on an understanding of, and appreciation for, diversity - and there is no excuse for the appalling lack of sensitivity in my comments. It in no way reflects the person I am. I apologize to all of my readers and I thank them for holding me accountable. This has been an important lesson for me and illustrates that, like many people, I still have a lot of growing and learning to do.
"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/31219-fool-me-onceespn-suspends-jemele-hill

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment. Does NOT make it right, but it echoes why MANY, MANY of my classmates while in high school hated BOS and wondered quite often why "I" loved BOS (they were African American, as I am).

Many of them loved The Lakers and Magic, Kareem...

I guess you can call me the odd ball - especially being that this was the 80s....Reagan in office, etc, etc...

LOOK - I'm not trying to send this thread off the rails but some folks here need to let stuff GO. She apologized, LOL.

I read it, and frankly I regret it. It's a crescendo of nonsense: "Rooting for the Celtics is like supporting inflation, unemployment and locusts. It's like praying for Eva Mendes to get married and for Brad Pitt to be disfigured."

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

Bill Russell dealt with extreme levels of racism during his tenure in Boston - he called it a flea market of racism in his memoir. The sentiment that Boston as a racist city isn't a new concept in sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/a-flea-market-of-racism-black-athletes-on-playing-in-boston-over-the-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a93d6190761d

There’s a distinction between the city (at times racist; in some locations it still is) and the franchise (very progressive in terms of black players / coaches)

That's a nice concept, albeit a flawed one from an optics standpoint. The franchise can be as progressive as it wants, but it still has the cloud over it of being located in a historically racist city. For some players, there's no distinction to be made between Boston and the Boston Celtics.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

ESPN’s Jemele Hill wrote this past Saturday that, "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim.  It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Apologies

"I deeply regret the comment I made in a column Saturday. In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words that I used. I pride myself on an understanding of, and appreciation for, diversity - and there is no excuse for the appalling lack of sensitivity in my comments. It in no way reflects the person I am. I apologize to all of my readers and I thank them for holding me accountable. This has been an important lesson for me and illustrates that, like many people, I still have a lot of growing and learning to do.
"

If you REALLY care to read down further in that article, OP - you'd see CLEARLY why she made this comment. Does NOT make it right, but it echoes why MANY, MANY of my classmates while in high school hated BOS and wondered quite often why "I" loved BOS (they were African American, as I am).

I guess you can call me the odd ball - especially being that this was the 80s....Reagan in office, etc, etc...

LOOK - I'm not trying to send this thread off the rails but some folks here need to let stuff GO. She apologized, LOL.

I read it, and frankly I regret it. It's a crescendo of nonsense: "Rooting for the Celtics is like supporting inflation, unemployment and locusts. It's like praying for Eva Mendes to get married and for Brad Pitt to be disfigured."

i/We all know the facts here, which is the first team to draft an African American and the first team to have an African American coach.

Bill Russell dealt with extreme levels of racism during his tenure in Boston - he called it a flea market of racism in his memoir. The sentiment that Boston as a racist city isn't a new concept in sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/a-flea-market-of-racism-black-athletes-on-playing-in-boston-over-the-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a93d6190761d

There’s a distinction between the city (at times racist; in some locations it still is) and the franchise (very progressive in terms of black players / coaches)

That's a nice concept, albeit a flawed one from an optics standpoint. The franchise can be as progressive as it wants, but it still has the cloud over it of being located in a historically racist city. For some players, there's no distinction to be made between Boston and the Boston Celtics.

Please name a historically *non-racist* major city. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can't say it's surprising.

ESPN is a cable network and as time goes on, the audience for cable skews older and whiter.

Jemele will have a better time promoting her personal brand and expressing her ideas, which are worthy of notice, somewhere else.

Meanwhile ESPN will continue to grow stale and provide little of substance beyond its live sports coverage.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Apologies

"

Birnin Zana, also known as 'The Golden City'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Apologies

"

historically is a lot different then recent and Boston absolutely still has that tag.  Heck, the poll I posted on the prior page had 42% of the Bostonians surveyed calling it a racist city last year.  The Adam Jones incident was last year.  There are all sorts of stories from the 80's and 90's regarding Boston's own athletes and incidents of racism.  We aren't talking about times before the Civil Rights Act, we are talking about modern time and Boston absolutely still has that reputation. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Apologies

"

Ya got me!

In all seriousness, I know what RJ87 was saying, she (I think RJ87 is female?) is quite an intelligent poster here.  It is just frustrating to me the reputation that Boston has.  Of course it has a racist history and still has tons of racist activity- but so does every city in America and seemingly every city outside America. 

Boston also has a lot of civil rights triumphs, because there are a lot of strong and good people to make up for the racists.  I don't see how Boston is inherently more racist than anywhere else- China for example has a problem with racism that we never hear about, for example- and yet time and time again, it gets (in my opinion) scapegoated as some American face of racism. 

As someone who is not afraid to call people out when they are treating others like crap for no good reason, I acknowledge the problems in Boston, but get frustrated when the whole city seemingly gets lumped together as a bunch of racists. 

And that figure about Bostonians saying the city is racist- this is one of the bluest states in the country.  A highly leftist population would self-report this kind of thing a lot more aggressively.  Not saying it isn't true, only that it's a statistic that tells you as much about Boston self-assessment and politics as it does about racism.  A city full of racists would probably get a lower 'racism score' because most would deny it or lie about it because they aren't concerned.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Apologies

"

historically is a lot different then recent and Boston absolutely still has that tag.  Heck, the poll I posted on the prior page had 42% of the Bostonians surveyed calling it a racist city last year.  The Adam Jones incident was last year.  There are all sorts of stories from the 80's and 90's regarding Boston's own athletes and incidents of racism.  We aren't talking about times before the Civil Rights Act, we are talking about modern time and Boston absolutely still has that reputation.

So you're trying to make the argument that Boston has a unique recent history of racism, because of 1) liberal people who honestly and critically self-report, a statistical bias I've already addressed in my previous post, and 2) an instance of using the N word at 1 sporting event.

Regarding #2, I've attended virtually every Celtics game for the past 2 years and haven't heard anything, and I've spent a lot of time across the US and heard white people in casual situations use the N word and be racist everywhere.  I went to school in the South and lived in Los Angeles, which is the consensus #1 city in America for black Americans, says black Americans.  Even in LA there's tons of racism and you think Boston is more racist than the South?  Please.  Boston in 2018 is less racist against African Americans than China is.  Look into it.

Racism is ubiquitous, and you're an Ohio guy- Youngstown, Ohio and how the African Americans that live there are left to basically die in the streets by an uncaring white bureaucracy, is a better example of racism-in-action than liberals in Boston calling it like they see it in a world where racism, colorism, and prejudice runs rampant.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:06:04 PM by smokeablount »

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Apologies

"

So you're trying to make the argument that Boston has a recent history of racism, because of 1) liberal people who honestly and critically self-report, a statistical bias I've already addressed in my previous post, and 2) an instance of using the N word at 1 sporting event.

Regarding #2, I've attended virtually every Celtics game for the past 2 years and haven't heard anything, and I've spent a lot of time across the US and heard white people in casual situations use the N word and be racist everywhere.  I went to school in the South and lived in Los Angeles, which is the consensus #1 city in America for black Americans, says black Americans.  Even in LA there's tons of racism and you think Boston is more racist than the South?  Please.  Boston in 2018 is less racist against African Americans than China is.  Look into it.

Racism is ubiquitous, and you're an Ohio guy- Youngstown, Ohio and how the African Americans that live there are left to basically die in the streets by an uncaring white bureaucracy, is a better example of racism-in-action than liberals in Boston calling it like they see it in a world where racism, colorism, and prejudice runs rampant.
No one said racism wasn't everywhere, but they don't write articles called Youngstown the most racist city in America.  They write those articles about Boston though.  There is a reason for that. 

http://time.com/4763746/boston-baltimore-orioles-adam-jones-racism/

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/05/ugly-history-boston-being-most-racist-sports-city-america

http://gawker.com/5946312/the-most-racist-city-in-america-boston

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017/03/28/yes-boston-you-are-racist/yMd7u1evwC5g6XhGAHMdyH/story.html

You can find hundreds of similar articles that have all sorts of quotes from black players that played for Boston teams throughout the decades.  There is an underlying theme that you just don't see with many other cities. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Apologies

"

Ya got me!

In all seriousness, I know what RJ87 was saying, she (I think RJ87 is female?) is quite an intelligent poster here.  It is just frustrating to me the reputation that Boston has.  Of course it has a racist history and still has tons of racist activity- but so does every city in America and seemingly every city outside America. 

Boston also has a lot of civil rights triumphs, because there are a lot of strong and good people to make up for the racists.  I don't see how Boston is inherently more racist than anywhere else- China for example has a problem with racism that we never hear about, for example- and yet time and time again, it gets (in my opinion) scapegoated as some American face of racism. 

As someone who is not afraid to call people out when they are treating others like crap for no good reason, I acknowledge the problems in Boston, but get frustrated when the whole city seemingly gets lumped together as a bunch of racists. 

And that figure about Bostonians saying the city is racist- this is one of the bluest states in the country.  A highly leftist population would self-report this kind of thing a lot more aggressively.  Not saying it isn't true, only that it's a statistic that tells you as much about Boston self-assessment and politics as it does about racism.  A city full of racists would probably get a lower 'racism score' because most would deny it or lie about it because they aren't concerned.

Yes, I'm a female.

I'm not sure why but of the major cities on the East coast, Boston still has a reputation as lacking diversity. Is it fair? I don't know. I remember when I decided to go to Northeastern, my grandmother actively tried to talk me out of it because she had serious concerns. Ultimately, I lived in Boston for 5 years and aside from one incident, I enjoyed my time in the city. I hear what you're saying about the good outweighing the bad, but sometimes negativity just clouds everything. I think of it like this: if you go to a restaurant a number of times and it has history of being good but one time you go and glass ends up in your salad, you're probably not giving them the benefit of the doubt down the line.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
They paid that race baiter $2.5 million?!

I guess anyone who points out racial inequalities is a race baiter?

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
She really was an odd fit at ESPN. She needs to have a social commentary show on HBO or Netflix or something. ESPN seems to be getting away from politics, which is probably the right move..

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
She really was an odd fit at ESPN. She needs to have a social commentary show on HBO or Netflix or something. ESPN seems to be getting away from politics, which is probably the right move..

I dont understand why. Sports and Politics have ALWAYS been intertwined.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Apologies

"

Ya got me!

Yes, I'm a female.

I'm not sure why but of the major cities on the East coast, Boston still has a reputation as lacking diversity. Is it fair? I don't know. I remember when I decided to go to Northeastern, my grandmother actively tried to talk me out of it because she had serious concerns. Ultimately, I lived in Boston for 5 years and aside from one incident, I enjoyed my time in the city. I hear what you're saying about the good outweighing the bad, but sometimes negativity just clouds everything. I think of it like this: if you go to a restaurant a number of times and it has history of being good but one time you go and glass ends up in your salad, you're probably not giving them the benefit of the doubt down the line.

The "Boston is a racist city" thing is always a tough pill to swallow. How could this liberal, super educated city ever be racist? The only state to vote blue in 1972. It's alarming that we have this reputation, I truly hate it. But it is eye opening because as liberal as we are there is still racism here. I've seen it first hand many of times. I've reported drunk white guys screaming " PLAY HARDER YOU F****** N*******" at Celtics games. I've been at the bar and had to literally stand between an African American man who was using the urinal while a bunch of white guys told him to "get the f*** out of their bathroom." I don't know if we have an identity issue or something, maybe we turn a blind eye to racism here because of how liberal we think we are, but we could definitely do better. I will say I haven't traveled enough in the country to deem Boston the most racist city. I'd definitely like to see more conversation about how to get rid of the stigma and become the progressive city we should be.

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I dont understand why. Sports and Politics have ALWAYS been intertwined.

Not really. ESPN used to be highlights and Chris Berman yelling on Sportscenter. Not what is the societal impact of the racism of NFL fans.

In a telling twist, ESPN is trying to bring Berman back in a bigger role. ESPN going back to what made it popular in the first place..