Author Topic: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord  (Read 4165 times)

Save the MLE. Start Time Lord
« on: June 29, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Maybe we should just hold onto the MLE until after the trade deadline, and see which center gets bought out. It is pretty slim pickings out there right now. Of course, if someone decent becomes available, pounce.

In the meantime, I'm completely fine starting Robert Williams as our starting center.  His defensive upside is through the roof.  He is a good rebounder, and great shot blocker. I'm expecting a big jump in his play this season. Theis, Yabu, Semi and G Willams can also fill in.

Starters:

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
TIme Lord

6th man: Smart

That starting unit should be able to create A LOT of transition offense.

Okay, now let me have it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:59:46 PM by footey »

Re: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I love TIMELORD maybe more than most but we need another big. Even with Theis coming back we need another big. Even with Tacko, the biggest big there is, we need another big.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don’t think anyone we can get for the room exception will be able to block Williams from playing if he’s ready.  That said, I don’t expect him to be ready.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:26:15 PM by Hank Finkel »

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Bigs who hopes to play on a contending team will take a paycut.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

You have mega confidence in a player who could even get on the floor last year.  I would nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.
i agree. as much as i am optimistic on TL, he could not even beat out baynes last season for playing time. perk took years to develop. TL will probably get there, but to make him the starter is asking a lot.

if TL can give the team 20 good minutes a night i would be delighted.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I love Williams, but we need someone bigger and stronger.

Williams against some teams, Jacko against others?

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't we just have a season where players got angry because they thought a player that didn't deserve to start or play big minutes was starting and playing big minutes? Do we really want to have the same situation by giving starting minutes to Timelord who hasn't shown he is worthy of that role?

I want more than anything for Timelord to develop and be that great defensive rebounding big. But do it the right way and make him earn the time. Bring in some proven "bigs" and let Williams compete for the role.

If he beats those guys out and is the best of the group, fine, play him. But if not, make him earn any minutes he gets. Or if he really isn't close to ready, like he wasn't ready last year, send him to Maine to play big minutes and get tons of reps on a regular basis so he can develop.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Didn't we just have a season where players got angry because they thought a player that didn't deserve to start or play big minutes was starting and playing big minutes? Do we really want to have the same situation by giving starting minutes to Timelord who hasn't shown he is worthy of that role?

I want more than anything for Timelord to develop and be that great defensive rebounding big. But do it the right way and make him earn the time. Bring in some proven "bigs" and let Williams compete for the role.

If he beats those guys out and is the best of the group, fine, play him. But if not, make him earn any minutes he gets. Or if he really isn't close to ready, like he wasn't ready last year, send him to Maine to play big minutes and get tons of reps on a regular basis so he can develop.

Much different issue. We had a cagilion wings last season. We only have one true center currently. If I recall, Kyrie and maybe some of the other guys questioned why Brad didn't play TL more last season.

But I agree that he shouldn't be handed the position, he will have to earn it. I think he will.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 08:40:36 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
+1
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

Yes, Brad could've at least have tried something in that series. Played TIMELORD for rebounding and shot blocking, played Semi for defense, played Wanamaker for defense and shot making.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes, Brad could've at least have tried something in that series. Played TIMELORD for rebounding and shot blocking, played Semi for defense, played Wanamaker for defense and shot making.
Yeah, I agree. Those starters weren't working so may as well have started Wanamaker, Dozier, Timelord, Semi and Yabusele. 🙄🙄

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

I thought this also. But Brad did not do it.

Williams blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game. Put him on Giannis and see how it goes.