Author Topic: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord  (Read 4163 times)

Re: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

I thought this also. But Brad did not do it.

Williams blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game. Put him on Giannis and see how it goes.

I've never seen anyone block Anthony Davis twice like it was nothing. Davis started rushing shots and missing badly as a result. This is what i always say about Williams. His shot blocking ability will make players alter shots and miss shots that they should normally make with ease. Brad Stevens made no adjustments in that series and allowed Giannis free reign in the paint with no threat of shot blocking. Still can't get over that.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t expect him to be ready to start at all. 15MPG or so? I can picture that, similarly to second year Capela. But not full-time starter
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

Williams blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game. Put him on Giannis and see how it goes.

I've never seen anyone block Anthony Davis twice like it was nothing. Davis started rushing shots and missing badly as a result. This is what i always say about Williams. His shot blocking ability will make players alter shots and miss shots that they should normally make with ease. Brad Stevens made no adjustments in that series and allowed Giannis free reign in the paint with no threat of shot blocking. Still can't get over that.

Giannis will juke him, blow past and get an and-1. He's not going to go straight up and try to shoot over him like Davis was. I don't think Timelord's ready to guard a shifty, mobile driving big like Giannis who doesn't live in the paint so much as he powers into it again and again from the perimeter. He has much more athleticism than Al but not nearly the discipline or footwork to play the positioning game yet.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If he improves that much, he will start and the Celtics have a better back up big.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

Giannis will juke him, blow past and get an and-1. He's not going to go straight up and try to shoot over him like Davis was. I don't think Timelord's ready to guard a shifty, mobile driving big like Giannis who doesn't live in the paint so much as he powers into it again and again from the perimeter. He has much more athleticism than Al but not nearly the discipline or footwork to play the positioning game yet.

Giannis is a shifty big?

Giannis has two moves....drive to the basket and shoot the three.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 09:46:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Giannis is a shifty big?

That must be why he's so easy to stop ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
IMO, you can't wait for the trade deadline. You have to get the best guy you can before the season and give your team a chance. They let the FAs all get signed, roll into TC and then we find out that we don't even have a backup caliber big on the roster, you're putting the rest of  your guys in a terrible position. No way Ainge is going to do that. That's a luxury we can't afford.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

What does being an exciting center have to do with having a productive center?

Williams is nowhere close to being a starter.

And even if he's in the top 5 in dunks, what does that accomplish?

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Maybe we should just hold onto the MLE until after the trade deadline, and see which center gets bought out. It is pretty slim pickings out there right now. Of course, if someone decent becomes available, pounce.

In the meantime, I'm completely fine starting Robert Williams as our starting center.  His defensive upside is through the roof.  He is a good rebounder, and great shot blocker. I'm expecting a big jump in his play this season. Theis, Yabu, Semi and G Willams can also fill in.

Starters:

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
TIme Lord

6th man: Smart

That starting unit should be able to create A LOT of transition offense.

Okay, now let me have it.

My pleasure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfhEpi77yQ

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Giannis is a shifty big?

I know right. He's clearly overrated.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Celtics will prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

They will prepare as if timelord is not ready by signing a big to the room mle and hope that he's ready to start. Not signing a big with the rmle exception would be negligent.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Giannis is a shifty big?

Yes the 6'11" guy with one of the top 3 eurosteps in the league and nearly as deadly a spin is an extremely shifty big.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 12:06:59 AM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman

Giannis is a shifty big?

That must be why he's so easy to stop ::)

Giannis' drives are difficult to stop because he so long. But Williams is the perfect guy to cover Giannis. Long and quick.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 12:21:20 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

What does being an exciting center have to do with having a productive center?

Williams is nowhere close to being a starter.

And even if he's in the top 5 in dunks, what does that accomplish?

I'm only speaking for myself but basketball is entertainment. It's not life or death and as long as the officials are as bad as they are it can't be taken seriously.....not entirely. So when i'm watching the game i want to watch an entertaining product. Watching a guy like Aaron Baynes set hard picks makes me want to fall asleep. I want dunks and blocks and excitement. That's personally why i watch the game.

A lot of guys watch the game for wins and championships which are fine and dandy when they happen, but sports in general cannot be taken too seriously. You need to be able to have fun while watching sports.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 01:22:34 AM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman

Giannis is a shifty big?

Yes the 6'11" guy with one of the top 3 eurosteps in the league and nearly as deadly a spin is an extremely shifty big.

Top three eurosteps? lol

The refs let him take four steps like Lebron is what you mean.