Author Topic: First Round Game 1: Atlanta Hawks at Boston Celtics, 4/20/08 (8:30pm, TNT)  (Read 59360 times)

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Am I the only one who doesn't like Dick Stockton?  Some announcers are just unfireable for some reason no matter how uncompelling they are.  Stockton, Musberger, and analysts like Tim McCarver come quickly to mind.
I really like Dick Stockton. Not wild about the Czar.

I dislike/hate lots of ESPN's crew. Too much focus on having an ex-NBA player/coach instead of adding someone who's a quality commentator.

I think we all have announcers who rub us the wrong way ... I can't stand Reggie Miller or Bill Walton, (sorry, Bill .. . loved ya on the team, but I can't take your pontificating!)

I'll split ya, Bahku.  No problems with Reggie here, but I'm no Walton booster (though I credit him for at least a slight improvement this season).

Though I hear what you're saying, Who, what do you think of Van Gundy as one of those ex-coaches?  He's been my "Most Improved Commentator" of the year by a longshot this year.  I've really come to love him next to my boy Breen (second only to Frazier as an analyst).

-sw

And no matter who's commentating, I'm happy to be up 13 early...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Am I the only one who doesn't like Dick Stockton?  Some announcers are just unfireable for some reason no matter how uncompelling they are.  Stockton, Musberger, and analysts like Tim McCarver come quickly to mind.

I dislike/hate lots of ESPN's crew. Too much focus on having an ex-NBA player/coach instead of adding someone who's a quality commentator.

I think we all have announcers who rub us the wrong way ... I can't stand Reggie Miller or Bill Walton, (sorry, Bill .. . loved ya on the team, but I can't take your pontificating!)

I'll split ya, Bahku.  No problems with Reggie here, but I'm no Walton booster (though I credit him for at least a slight improvement this season).

Though I hear what you're saying, Who, what do you think of Van Gundy as one of those ex-coaches?  He's been my "Most Improved Commentator" of the year by a longshot this year.  I've really come to love him next to my boy Breen (second only to Frazier as an analyst).

-sw

-sw

I'll TP that, SW! In fact, TP's for the whole page!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline Three Hours Early

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • Screw you too, David Stern!

-sw

Two Words: Kevin Calabro!!!!  There is no silver lining to the Sonics moving (and I'll believe it when the trucks actually show up in OKC) but if there were one, it would open up KC to more national gigs.  The guy is awesome!

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

-sw

-sw
I love JVG, he brings some life to the sidelines.

Rick Carlisle was killing me in the Cavs-Wizards game. Pasch, was that it, whoever was next to Carlisle was just as bad.

Mark Jackson wrecks my head. I hate having to listen to him on YES (thank god he's gone from there now) and on these national ones. Jackson is a bit more passable when he's next to JVG, a little more natural. Less repetitive garbage then too, he prefers stories over his mundane recaps of the play before.

Reggie was very good today I thought, for him, I normally dislike him. He was top of my list for most disliked but Mark Jackson ripped the honour from him.

Offline Who

• James Naismith

-sw

Two Words: Kevin Calabro!!!!  There is no silver lining to the Sonics moving (and I'll believe it when the trucks actually show up in OKC) but if there were one, it would open up KC to more national gigs.  The guy is awesome!
Second that

He's brilliant. Good radio show too. Steve "the Snapper" Jones is fantastic up there in Seattle too. We gotta find those guys some new homes, they're brilliant.

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Love how Rondo's playing. KG's 2nd foul call was bull. Pierce is the underappreciated superstar.

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

-sw
I love JVG, he brings some life to the sidelines.

Rick Carlisle was killing me in the Cavs-Wizards game. Pasch, was that it, whoever was next to Carlisle was just as bad.

Mark Jackson wrecks my head. I hate having to listen to him on YES (thank god he's gone from there now) and on these national ones. Jackson is a bit more passable when he's next to JVG, a little more natural. Less repetitive garbage then too, he prefers stories over his mundane recaps of the play before.

Reggie was very good today I thought, for him, I normally dislike him. He was top of my list for most disliked but Mark Jackson ripped the honour from him.

Amen, Who -- Carlisle butchered Wiz-Cavs yesterday.  The jump ball situation late in the game was an absolute fiasco.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

Offline Bill Walton

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Well, I haven't read anything yet, but glad to see some interest in a game again. How about that small line up?

Offline Who

• James Naismith
This is bad from the Celtics. They were up 26-13, now the lead is 29-27. They let Atlanta back in it. Not executing well offensively.

Offline Three Hours Early

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • Screw you too, David Stern!
KG is back.  Order restored.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hate to say it, but the offense died when the subs came in ... not sure that was the best rotation.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
...in the playoff you gotta hit freethrows and layups..

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Hate to say it, but the offense died when the subs came in ... not sure that was the best rotation.
There is no rotation. The players don't know if they're coming in, who'll they'll be playing with, or when they'll be coming.

It'd be nice if Doc could develop some continuity during this Atlanta series. Maybe that's hoping too much though, there's no clear rotation.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Atlanta don't have a good enough offense or a good enough defense to string together extended periods of good play. They're the three-legged dog that you feel sorry for when they go chasing after a cat.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Al Horford is just letting Kevin Garnett set up 6 feet from the rim. He does know he can fight for position before KG catches the ball right? KG is too long and too good, he'll nail turnarounds all series long over Horford if Al doesn't push him away from the paint.

I don't understand why the team is going away from KG. Make them stop him.