Author Topic: Celtics have 8 picks in the 2016 NBA Draft  (Read 22791 times)

Re: Celtics have 8 picks in the 2016 NBA Draft
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 07:02:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
The only curiosity I have regarding the return on the Rondo trade is why Danny couldn't have packaged rondo with picks and young talent to at least get back a high upside rookie contract guy (or maybe a second #1 in 2018).   Just seems like we have these assetts that could have been combined with Rondo to make a package worth investing in.   I don't see any way that Danny sends 8 names to the podium in 2016. 

The 76ers have a tank in progress that is producing some frightening potential.  Noel, Embiid, Saric, this year's #1, MCW.   Impressive.  They are in way better shape for the future than the C's.  Time will tell, but they are possibly writing the definitive work on how to Tank.

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The only curiosity I have regarding the return on the Rondo trade is why Danny couldn't have packaged rondo with picks and young talent to at least get back a high upside rookie contract guy (or maybe a second #1 in 2018).   Just seems like we have these assetts that could have been combined with Rondo to make a package worth investing in.   I don't see any way that Danny sends 8 names to the podium in 2016. 

The 76ers have a tank in progress that is producing some frightening potential.  Noel, Embiid, Saric, this year's #1, MCW.   Impressive.  They are in way better shape for the future than the C's.  Time will tell, but they are possibly writing the definitive work on how to Tank.

Dallas has no high upside players on rookie deals, depending on how you feel about Ricky Ledo. They were the only team to make a serious offer, so it was that or keep him. We have until as late as Draft Night '2016 to worry about what to do with all of these picks. These things tend to take care of themselves( I don't know how to make that little (TM) symbol, but I would right now for that last sentence if I could).

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Potential is the key word. Sixers are in better shape because they started sooner and went "all in". Danny's approach has been more gradual, even trying to hide it by holding out some possibility of rebuilding around Rondo. When that didn't work, he decided to go "all in" as well. 

That said, I can see a chance that the Sixers will not be successful. Noel and Embid already have injury history and MCW is learning how to lose, not how to win.  That said, if they nab a top-3 pick in 2015 (likely) they will indeed be in great position.

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
here is an interested set of points on having soooo many picks, some which i saw over on SOSH. the celtics are about to face a major roster crunch from having too many young players with guaranteed contracts.

aside from 2015, keep in mind as noted above that in 2016 the celtics have another 4 first round picks and 4 2nd round picks. (please check me on this since it seems an almost absurd amount of picks.)

even with free agents leaving, contracts expiring, blah, that means the celtics have 3-4 players more than you'd expect to have in your regular rotation due to first rounder alone.  also, i haven't included possible veteran signings or the likelihood that a credible player might come out of one of 2nd rounders.  and i expect ainge to score on at least one of his second rounders.

the point here is that there will be a roster crunch pretty quickly...simply too many guaranteed contracts are on the immediate horizon. 

so, what solutions are there for this embarrassment of riches?

one possible solution is the obvious one - package them for a smaller number of very high picks.  the straightforward answer is, of course, simple ... trade a bundle of the so-so picks for something in the top 5. that solution leads us to this interesting study done on the value of draft picks.

fivethirtyeight.com did a study (http://fivethirtyeig...y-really-worth/) suggesting that the proper value for four non-lottery first rounders is approximately the third and fourth picks in a typical draft.  ok, but that strikes me as more than most GMs would actually give the celtics. picks that high up in the draft are valued too highly by most GMs who are all praying for the next lebron. so while tempting, this is an unlikely scenario. so let's look at other possible scenarios.

next would be for ainge to package his many pennies, nickels, and dimes for a smaller number of quarters and dollars. that is, as with the KG and ray trades, use the first rounders with other assets to grab the big star. this reduces the roster crunch. ainge has done an incredible job of acquiring a range of resources, including picks, a range of salaries, TE, etc. and ainge is one of the most "wheeling and dealing" GMs in the nba. he is a gambler and now he has chips to play with.

third, ainge might simple play leapfrog with the picks, ala the play for olly last year. for example, use picks 22 and 24 to grab a player at 17. or use 10 and 20 to move up to 8. if another team at 8 thinks their player will still there at 10, they will probably bite on such an offer. while this may not place the celtics in the top 5 picks, it does allow ainge the chance to grab a great player that is falling...and as we know with pierce and rondo, sometimes that happens.

a fourth option is open to ainge, one in which there's more value in keeping the picks, though that may bring us back to the problem of the pending roster crunch.  it may be wise to draw upon one of danny's true talents - spotting talent in the late-first-round. danny's been good at finding late first-round gems and with so many such picks, it might be more sensible to take players with question marks and high upside like marvelous-melo (tm), rondo, and sullinger, knowing that it's a good thing to miss some of the time. remember, the nba average for getting a credible player late in the first round is around 25%, danny does better historically. this means that the celtics would select "high risk, high ceiling" players intentionally betting that half or more would never last in the nba. danny would swing for the fences with each and every pick and say "screw it" to selecting nice, safe role players.

final option, i suppose keeping players overseas for a season or two is another option. but this only postpones the pending roster crunch, which while better than nothing, does not resolve it. nor are there enough good players would be a fit here, but it is one possibilty.

so, after all that, i ask the collective wisdom of cb - what's the best plan here? package assets?  or be like big papi and swing for the fences with most of these picks and assume that you'll hit on some, miss on others?

First of all, great post and TP.  I'd heard of the 25% figure before and I know Danny is quite good at spotting late round talent, certainly better than 25%, but how much better do we think?  And are there any other GMs (Presti? Buford?) with a similarly impressive track record?

Rondo, Big Al, Perk, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Big Baby - all great picks.  For the past 10 or so years, I've been making my own picks before Danny gets his in on draft night and I wanted all those guys independently of Danny except Perk and Delonte.  I also thought Gerald Green was the best pick to make at the time and now with Granger gone.  So that's quite good.  But...

Gabe Pruit over Josh McRobberts was dumb then and it's dumb now.  JR Giddens over DeAndre was even dumber, and both fit the same profile - not that young of a guard / wing from a non powerhouse school over a high profile high school big man turned promising 1&Done frosh.  With a low first rounder it made no sense to avoid the hi-reward option at a harder to fill spot.

Fab Melo was just idiotic and Perry Jones probably wasn't the best player there but he seemed obvious to me, freshman potential top 5 pick before the season... or a 7 footer who put up 7 and 5 in Year 2 and clearly did not know how to play basketball.  Now apparently Melo over PJ is a message board travesty, but it kinda was then too.

There's 3 or 4 late round picks that were obviously botched, obviously.  Historically I'm good at draft analysis, I could never be a GM, but I honestly think Danny's rep as a late-round starter-finder is a bit overblown.  No one hits them all, and hindsight is 20/20, but most of those late round steals are a few years back or more- the Colangelo era of GMs.  Now we're in the Presti- Sam Hinkie - asset collector / portfolio builder era.  First rounders are generally hard to get (except for us apparently, credit to Danny) and the league braintrust is smarter, more patient. 

Bottom line, in one sentence, I think Danny's late round prowess is real and well above average but not best in the league or glorification-worthy.  I do wonder if there are fewer chances now.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
here is an interested set of points on having soooo many picks, some which i saw over on SOSH. the celtics are about to face a major roster crunch from having too many young players with guaranteed contracts.

aside from 2015, keep in mind as noted above that in 2016 the celtics have another 4 first round picks and 4 2nd round picks. (please check me on this since it seems an almost absurd amount of picks.)

even with free agents leaving, contracts expiring, blah, that means the celtics have 3-4 players more than you'd expect to have in your regular rotation due to first rounder alone.  also, i haven't included possible veteran signings or the likelihood that a credible player might come out of one of 2nd rounders.  and i expect ainge to score on at least one of his second rounders.

the point here is that there will be a roster crunch pretty quickly...simply too many guaranteed contracts are on the immediate horizon. 

one possible solution is the obvious one - package them for a smaller number of very high picks.  the straightforward answer is, of course, simple ... trade a bundle of the so-so picks for something in the top 5. that solution leads us to this interesting study done on the value of draft picks.

fivethirtyeight.com did a study (http://fivethirtyeig...y-really-worth/) suggesting that the proper value for four non-lottery first rounders is approximately the third and fourth picks in a typical draft.  ok, but that strikes me as more than most GMs would actually give the celtics. picks that high up in the draft are valued too highly by most GMs who are all praying for the next lebron. so while tempting, this is an unlikely scenario. so let's look at other possible scenarios.

next would be for ainge to package his many pennies, nickels, and dimes for a smaller number of quarters and dollars. that is, as with the KG and ray trades, use the first rounders with other assets to grab the big star. this reduces the roster crunch. ainge has done an incredible job of acquiring a range of resources, including picks, a range of salaries, TE, etc. and ainge is one of the most "wheeling and dealing" GMs in the nba. he is a gambler and now he has chips to play with.

third, ainge might simple play leapfrog with the picks, ala the play for olly last year. for example, use picks 22 and 24 to grab a player at 17. or use 10 and 20 to move up to 8. if another team at 8 thinks their player will still there at 10, they will probably bite on such an offer. while this may not place the celtics in the top 5 picks, it does allow ainge the chance to grab a great player that is falling...and as we know with pierce and rondo, sometimes that happens.

a fourth option is open to ainge, one in which there's more value in keeping the picks, though that may bring us back to the problem of the pending roster crunch.  it may be wise to draw upon one of danny's true talents - spotting talent in the late-first-round. danny's been good at finding late first-round gems and with so many such picks, it might be more sensible to take players with question marks and high upside like marvelous-melo (tm), rondo, and sullinger, knowing that it's a good thing to miss some of the time. remember, the nba average for getting a credible player late in the first round is around 25%, danny does better historically. this means that the celtics would select "high risk, high ceiling" players intentionally betting that half or more would never last in the nba. danny would swing for the fences with each and every pick and say "screw it" to selecting nice, safe role players.

final option, i suppose keeping players overseas for a season or two is another option. but this only postpones the pending roster crunch, which while better than nothing, does not resolve it. nor are there enough good players would be a fit here, but it is one possibilty.

so, after all that, i ask the collective wisdom of cb - what's the best plan here? package assets?  or be like big papi and swing for the fences with most of these picks and assume that you'll hit on some, miss on others?
One other thing they can do... sell some of the picks for cash money.  Offers no value whatsoever for the fans, but it puts some pocket change in Wyc & Steve's pockets once this team begins faltering financially after several years of irrelevance. 

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Offer all 8 picks to either OKC for Durant or New Orleans for Davis.

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I wish we could have got a young player with potential but if there's one thing I'm noticing trade wise around the league right now it's that it's extremely hard to pry one of those types of players from a team.  They just won't do it.  Not sure if they value the cheaper talent that highly or what but it's just not happening around the league, especially for a player like Rondo who is on the last year of his contract.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Nice break down I expect as Forsberg wrote that DA may look to flip some of these picks for a younger up and coming player who is expendable enough to be had. The only real example I can think of for this would be derrick Favors.

Aside from a package for a player I expect your leap frog option. I expect much like with the KO pick that DA will use his abundance of picks to target players he is high on with in striking range.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
What stinks about the picks is that they're much more valuable to teams that are contending, either as a chance to stock the roster with low-priced talent or to use in a deal for a talented player whose contract is expiring (and who they'd have a good chance of retaining).

The Celtics do not have option 2 available to them because they cannot afford to deal for guys who most likely would leave for a better team. And for option 1 the cost savings isn't really significant for a team like the Celtics, what they need is star talent at any cost. Late first rounders can yield good players, but the degree of difficulty in getting a hit is high and the odds of getting a star are extremely low.

The Celtics really need to get a star in the draft (which obviously is helped by some lottery luck), after which the roster moves will become easier to figure out.

Regarding cuts, Ainge will make the decision when the time comes. Honestly, besides a handful of guys (Smart, Olynyk, Young, Sullinger) there isn't anybody that I would say we need to keep at all costs, and Sullinger's contract coming up next year makes me wonder if he's due a Bradley-esque inflated deal.

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 12:13:49 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What stinks about the picks is that they're much more valuable to teams that are contending, either as a chance to stock the roster with low-priced talent or to use in a deal for a talented player whose contract is expiring (and who they'd have a good chance of retaining).

The Celtics do not have option 2 available to them because they cannot afford to deal for guys who most likely would leave for a better team. And for option 1 the cost savings isn't really significant for a team like the Celtics, what they need is star talent at any cost. Late first rounders can yield good players, but the degree of difficulty in getting a hit is high and the odds of getting a star are extremely low.

The Celtics really need to get a star in the draft (which obviously is helped by some lottery luck), after which the roster moves will become easier to figure out.

Regarding cuts, Ainge will make the decision when the time comes. Honestly, besides a handful of guys (Smart, Olynyk, Young, Sullinger) there isn't anybody that I would say we need to keep at all costs, and Sullinger's contract coming up next year makes me wonder if he's due a Bradley-esque inflated deal.

I'm optimistic that the Celtics will find something for the picks though I'm not skeptical that they'll get lucky in the lottery, and people are still complaining about Bradley's contract? Seriously?

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:40 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
First of all, great post and TP.  I'd heard of the 25% figure before and I know Danny is quite good at spotting late round talent, certainly better than 25%, but how much better do we think?  And are there any other GMs (Presti? Buford?) with a similarly impressive track record?

Rondo, Big Al, Perk, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Big Baby - all great picks.  For the past 10 or so years, I've been making my own picks before Danny gets his in on draft night and I wanted all those guys independently of Danny except Perk and Delonte.  I also thought Gerald Green was the best pick to make at the time and now with Granger gone.  So that's quite good.  But...

Gabe Pruit over Josh McRobberts was dumb then and it's dumb now.  JR Giddens over DeAndre was even dumber, and both fit the same profile - not that young of a guard / wing from a non powerhouse school over a high profile high school big man turned promising 1&Done frosh.  With a low first rounder it made no sense to avoid the hi-reward option at a harder to fill spot.

Fab Melo was just idiotic and Perry Jones probably wasn't the best player there but he seemed obvious to me, freshman potential top 5 pick before the season... or a 7 footer who put up 7 and 5 in Year 2 and clearly did not know how to play basketball.  Now apparently Melo over PJ is a message board travesty, but it kinda was then too.

There's 3 or 4 late round picks that were obviously botched, obviously.  Historically I'm good at draft analysis, I could never be a GM, but I honestly think Danny's rep as a late-round starter-finder is a bit overblown.  No one hits them all, and hindsight is 20/20, but most of those late round steals are a few years back or more- the Colangelo era of GMs.  Now we're in the Presti- Sam Hinkie - asset collector / portfolio builder era.  First rounders are generally hard to get (except for us apparently, credit to Danny) and the league braintrust is smarter, more patient. 

Bottom line, in one sentence, I think Danny's late round prowess is real and well above average but not best in the league or glorification-worthy.  I do wonder if there are fewer chances now.

Pruitt and Giddens were clear mistakes. Otherwise, Danny has made easily justifiable choices in every draft. Including draft-day trades, I give him an A-.

I liked the JJJ pick (side note: I absolutely did not expect Parsons to become a great NBA shooter). Bradley was a home run choice in my eyes.

I saw Fab as a bust pre-draft, but Danny had almost no option other than red-flagged PJ3. I would have tried my best to trade that pick after getting Sully. Fab couldn't overcome his horrendous reaction time and BBIQ.

My point is if you look at the talent Danny passed up on, he made solid choices even in retrospect, especially considering the limited flexibility Danny had.

"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird