Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76850 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2020, 04:24:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The punishments for the Pats’ sideline videotaping were handed down today:

$1.1 million in club fines.
Loss of 2021 third-round pick.
Patriots’ TV crews not allowed to shoot games during 2020 season.

Pats also signed Cam Newton to a one year deal.

I think they can count themselves lucky given their past history that they didn't lose a higher draft pick. But count me excited about the Newton signing! I have my doubts as to whether they can make it work but it's going to be worth watching that's for sure.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The punishments for the Pats’ sideline videotaping were handed down today:

$1.1 million in club fines.
Loss of 2021 third-round pick.
Patriots’ TV crews not allowed to shoot games during 2020 season.

Pats also signed Cam Newton to a one year deal.

*Patriots sign Newton. Newton leaves 2021. Pats get compensatory 3rd round pick in 2022*

I'll assume that also means we win the Super Bowl this year, to make the difference between the picks as small as possible ;D
I'm bitter.

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Your guess in June (presume health for both):

Who is better, 31 yo Newton or 43 yo Brady?

It is really not fair to say "presuming health".  I would pose the question all things considered, who will perform better, Newton/Pats or Brady/Bucs?  The risk of injury is a consideration for both players and part of the reason the Pats are more comfortable giving Newton the incentive laden contract they wanted to give Brady.

All things considered, I think adding Newton keeps the Pats at the top of the league, but definitely not better than if they had kept Brady.  David Andrews is back to shore up the offensive line (which will improve running and passing).  They have enough of the defense returning to still be good.  The weakness is tight end, but every team has some weakness.

I suspect that the current version of Newton means managing injuries throughout the season but he is still good enough to be an upgrade over Stidham.  Brady I predict will be good but I don't know enough about the Buc OL to say how well the team will do.  Brady (like any QB) needs an OL that is at least reliable but if he gets that, I think he makes the Bucs very good.

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Cam's shoulder is healthy, I suspect that Josh McD will be able to find the right schemes for him to do well. This is a very exciting development for Patriot fans.  Welcome, Cam!!

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I despise Cam Newton and it is infuriating to me that the Pats release a loyal franchise player who took them to 9 superbowls for arguably the biggest diva in all of professional sports.

I never thought i'd put a single player before the shield but this move has me all in on the Bucs this season.

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I despise Cam Newton and it is infuriating to me that the Pats release a loyal franchise player who took them to 9 superbowls for arguably the biggest diva in all of professional sports.

I never thought i'd put a single player before the shield but this move has me all in on the Bucs this season.
Wut? You realise Brady chose to leave this team? And that decision had been made a long time ago? Caring about the name on the back more than that on the front is mystifying
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Patriots didn't "release" Brady for Newton. We weren't willing to pay Brady enough to get him to stay. Brady's contract with the Buccs is $50 million guaranteed over 2 years, with another $9 million in potential incentives. Cam's contract is one year at <$2 million guaranteed (estimates I've seen people make based on our cap space), with the rest of the $7.5 million in incentives. The two salaries are so far apart it's hard to even relate them.

You're definitely under no obligation to like that Brady left, or the Newton signing (I'm not a big fan, either), but let's not act like Bill got rid of Tom so he could bring in Cam.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
If Cam's shoulder is healthy, I suspect that Josh McD will be able to find the right schemes for him to do well. This is a very exciting development for Patriot fans.  Welcome, Cam!!

I think we're going to be a ground and pound team this year so hopefully Cam's occasional inability to hit the side of a barn with his throws won't affect us much  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. There has not been a bigger diva in sports than Brady. Patriots fans have just been in denial because he was on their team. I just hope we're far enough away from him now, that we don't hear about him promoting some kind of $75 bottle of water that cures or prevents Covid-19.

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I don't see Cam Newton working well. Belicheck has always prioritized decision making in his QB, Cam is not a good decision maker. With Cam at the helm it will limit the Pats ability to "out scheme" opponents. I think Edelman will struggle to mesh with Cam. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham beats him out for the starters job.

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I suspect Cam Newton will have a similar New England experience to guys like Carl Crawford, Hanley Ramirez etc before him.

If the Pats were gonna win 12-14 games (or the equivalent), I think the Pats and their fans would tolerate a player (especially a black player) who is more of a character off the field and who isn't always the most accurate passer. 

I expect the Pats to be more of a 8-9 win team, maybe 10 at best.  That means an up and down season and fighting just to make the playoffs.  I don't expect Pats fans to handle that well, especially with a QB who is such a contrast to Brady.

It'd be awesome if the Pats rejuvenated Cam Newton and he became the new franchise QB.  Even if he just has one very good season and then leaves, that could still be good for the franchise.  I hope that happens, though I doubt it.

If Cam isn't clearly an average or better starting QB and the team is up and down, I hope they let him go and give Stidham some run.  The Pats won't be a relevant team again until they find a franchise QB.  Assuming that's not Newton, they need to figure out if Stidham can be that.  If Stidham doesn't have that kind of ceiling, the Pats need to be focused on finding that guy in the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
My brother came out with a pretty good comparison. Cam Newton can be sort of like a Carmelo Anthony a few years ago. A talented player but with injuries and age, he's out of his prime. I think he can help us win but you'd have to let the QB play out to see who'll earn the starting spot.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. There has not been a bigger diva in sports than Brady. Patriots fans have just been in denial because he was on their team. I just hope we're far enough away from him now, that we don't hear about him promoting some kind of $75 bottle of water that cures or prevents Covid-19.

Diva who always put his team first, was paid in the bottom half of QB's his entire career despite being an MVP candidate his entire career. He deserved better from the Patriots.. but I know this is an endless debate and people are on both sides of it.

As for TB12, I could care less what he is selling. People have to be dumb enough to pay $75 for his nonsense and if they are that's on them not on Brady.
Nobody seems to bark at Lebron or Jordan for selling $300 Nike's that cost 50 cents to make in chinese sweat shops.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:41:04 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Diva who always put his team first, was paid in the bottom half of QB's his entire career despite being an MVP candidate his entire career. He deserved better from the Patriots.. but I know this is an endless debate and people are on both sides of it.

As for TB12, I could care less what he is selling. People have to be dumb enough to pay $75 for his nonsense and if they are that's on them not on Brady.
Nobody seems to bark at Lebron or Jordan for selling $300 Nike's that cost 50 cents to make in chinese sweat shops.

I don't see how anyone could be a Pats fan the last 20 years and not be forever grateful for Brady-Belichick.  That said, the moment Brady signed with the Bucs was the moment I moved on.  Would have done the same if Bill had jumped ship. 

I'm not anti-Brady and I don't blame him for leaving, but my team was the Patriots long before Brady and it's still my team now that he's gone.   I can see hoping the Bucs do well, but probably I'll be closer to indifferent.   Thankfully, Brady didn't go to Miami, the Jets, Dallas, Pittsburgh -- any of which would have left me rooting soundly against him. 

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower is opting out of the 2020 season, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.‬

Running back Brandon Bolden also is planning to opt out of the season, a source told ESPN. Starting offensive tackle Marcus Cannon, fullback Danny Vitale and reserve offensive lineman Najee Toran earlier decided to opt out for the Patriots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes