Author Topic: Cavs (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) 10/28  (Read 52187 times)

Re: Cavs (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) 10/28
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
My thoughts on last night.

- Ring Ceremony/Banner Raising gave me goosebumps.  I took at least 20 pictures of it all.  The handoff of the trophy from Hondo to Pierce was emotional.  Great job by the organization putting it all together.  Also, extremely classy gesture giving a ring to Red's daughter.

-Echoing Nick's post, Pierce looks like he did 5-6 years ago weightwise.  Noticable difference.  I think its going to be a huge positive this season.  Great game by Paul to start the season.  Was able to attack the rim and his jumper was close to mid-season form.  A couple of questionable decisions on offense but nothing too ouf of the sort.

-O'Bryant must really be in the doghouse because last night was a perfect situation for him to get in considering the foul situation.  Instead, Doc went long spurts with Big Baby and Powe.  Mixed results there.  Powe was great on the offensive end while Big Baby looked out of it.  Some awkward jump shots by him.  Defensively, Varajao seemed to be effective on them and Ilgauskas had some good opportunities.  We were able to get away with the size mismatch last night but I have concerns down the road when we face some of the bigger front lines in the league.

-Tony Allen is an enigma.  I still don't know what to make of him.   I thought he did alright on defense last night.  His offensive game?  I don't know.  I still don't feel comfortable when the ball is in his hands.  He made some shots but I just don't think he's on the same page as everyone else.  Also, I didn't see the postgame press conference but why was he bringing the ball up instead of House when Rondo was out?  Doc just experimenting there.

-Offensively, the team struggled for much of the night.  A lot of missed shots and our 3 pt % was horrible.  I think some of it can be chalked up to first game jitters but if the outside shot isn't falling, I'd like to see the ball run inside more often.  More penetration rather than sitting around on the perimeter.  I also don't know what was up with that play call at the end of one of the quarters where KG ended up with a 3 pt attempt.  Ugly.  I think the kinks will be worked out and the offense will get more in sync.  KG couldn't have played much worse offensively.  We KNOW he'll bounce back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One thing I forgot to mention, this game wasn't really even close in the second half. If the Celtics made their free throws at a normal 78-80%, this game was a runaway in the second half. They were dominant in the second half and no one anywhere mentioned the horrible free throw shooting of the Celtics really making this game appear closer than it was.

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
One thing I forgot to mention, this game wasn't really even close in the second half. If the Celtics made their free throws at a normal 78-80%, this game was a runaway in the second half. They were dominant in the second half and no one anywhere mentioned the horrible free throw shooting of the Celtics really making this game appear closer than it was.

Forgot to mention that, free throwing shooting was horrible.  Guys like Ray and Pierce going 1-2.  KG missed a pair.  Not pretty.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

One more thing, the Lebron hype is so bad that I am glad Lebron skipped the ring ceremony. All TNT would do is have the camera on the annointed one to see his reaction.
TP back atcha for this comment!! You are 1000% correct about this Nora. I would have had to go buy another television set this morning if they showed his face even once during that ceremony.

Also, Charles lauded the decision of the Cavs to stay in the locker room and not watch the ceremony but I thought it was a bad move all around.

1.) Mike Brown should have had his team out there watching it and used it as a coaching tool all year telling his team that this exact thing could be all theirs next year if they want it enough.

2.) The NBA should have forced the Cavs to have been there to witness it.

3.) During the 2005 season opener for the Sox I thought it was the classiest move of the New York Yankees to be there watching the whole ceremony and saluting their arch rivals and even having some fun and laughs during the player announcements. Classy move by the Yanks that year, a bit classless on the part of the Cavs not to be there.

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

One more thing, the Lebron hype is so bad that I am glad Lebron skipped the ring ceremony. All TNT would do is have the camera on the annointed one to see his reaction.
TP back atcha for this comment!! You are 1000% correct about this Nora. I would have had to go buy another television set this morning if they showed his face even once during that ceremony.

Also, Charles lauded the decision of the Cavs to stay in the locker room and not watch the ceremony but I thought it was a bad move all around.

1.) Mike Brown should have had his team out there watching it and used it as a coaching tool all year telling his team that this exact thing could be all theirs next year if they want it enough.

3.) During the 2005 season opener for the Sox I thought it was the classiest move of the New York Yankees to be there watching the whole ceremony and saluting their arch rivals and even having some fun and laughs during the player announcements. Classy move by the Yanks that year, a bit classless on the part of the Cavs not to be there.

I agree with this.  Not sure why the Cavs decided to hide from this.  I am sure the decision came from Lebron.  He was very upset that he couldn;t single handedly beat the Celtics in Game 7 last year.  If anything, I would think that watching the whole ceremony would have motivated him more.  Instead, I think he just didn't want to deal with it.  Shows that he is still very much a kid.  Finally, Lebron, please start making free throws.

« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I agree with this.  Not sure why the Cavs decided to hide from this.  I am sure the decision came from Lebron.  He was very upset that he couldn;t single handedly beat the Celtics in Game 7 last year.  If anything, I would think that watching the whole ceremony would have motivated him more.  Instead, I think he just didn't want to deal with it.  Shows that he is still very much a kid.  Finally, Lebron, please start making free throws.
TP4U MMac for being able, as always, to be objective. If this was something that came directly from LeBron, then Danny Ferry and Mike Brown are nothing but dumb puppets catering to a spoiled child afraid because that child might take his ball and go play somewhere else with it. If you are right, Brown and Ferry lost any respect I had for them for letting a 23 year old player decide what was in the best interest of their franchise.

« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

TP4U MMac for being able, as always, to be objective. If this was something that came directly from LeBron, then Danny Ferry and Mike Brown are nothing but dumb puppets catering to a spoiled child afraid because that child might take his ball and go play somewhere else with it. If you are right, Brown and Ferry lost any respect I had for them for letting a 23 year old player decide what was in the best interest of their franchise.

Lot of quotes here......I have a feeling this comes from Dan Gilbert and his 300 million dollar franchise that loses a ton of value if LBJ takes his ball and goes home

« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Finally, Lebron, please start making free throws.

yeah he should have practiced a couple more!

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Lot of quotes here......I have a feeling this comes from Dan Gilbert and his 300 million dollar franchise that loses a ton of value if LBJ takes his ball and goes home
True dat.