Author Topic: Who is your most overrated/underated player in the league?  (Read 3862 times)

Who is your most overrated/underated player in the league?
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:25:52 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We all have at least one.
I am not counting in players salary, it is more about what kind of undeserved media coverage player gets. Or when a player doesn't impact winning but gets huge praise for some of his (empty) stats.

Mine is Devin Booker.
He can score.
That's pretty much it. He is a poor defender, not versatile or switchable. Not a great passer. I also don't see any artistic moves.
He gets the ball on a weak team and guns.
His 70 was the most worthless +30 pt game I ever saw.
I think that he is a good, promising player at 22, but nowhere near his reputation.

I think Sacs Bogdanović is better, he is my underrated pick. A much more well-rounded player (Defense, passing, experience) than Booker is and yet he won't get the love until 3-4 more years pass away. It took yeeeears for Manu, who was 3rd best SG in the world, I'd take him over Booker any day of the week.

Who is your overrated/underrated pearl?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:31:50 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Who is your most overrated/underated player in the league?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Russ is an obvious overrated player. LeBron is overrated because people still think of him as the undeniable best player on the planet. Ben Simmons & Kyle Lowry too.

The two sidekicks in OKC (PG and Adams) are imo underrated. PG is playing career-best level basketball, and is comfortably in the top 5 for SF’s. Adams is perhaps the best offensive rebounder in the game - his Dreb numbers are diminished by Russ statpadding - and his scoring is ever improving. His little floater is unstoppable.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Russ is an obvious overrated player. LeBron is overrated because people still think of him as the undeniable best player on the planet. Ben Simmons & Kyle Lowry too.

The two sidekicks in OKC (PG and Adams) are imo underrated. PG is playing career-best level basketball, and is comfortably in the top 5 for SF’s. Adams is perhaps the best offensive rebounder in the game - his Dreb numbers are diminished by Russ statpadding - and his scoring is ever improving. His little floater is unstoppable.

Adams is up there for me too.
So selfless and tough, never gives up on a play. Ultimate teammate.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Ben Simmons for me is overrated. Despite his trip dubs, it doesn’t seem like you can win it all with him as one of your top 2-3 players.

I might get hate for this but Draymond Green is overrated for me too. Not to say he isn’t skilled but he’s a high end role player who entered a perfect situation. I hate it when I hear things like “teams have to find the next Draymond Green.” Like what?? On top of that, I think Horford is a superior player to him but he doesn’t get near the hype that Dray does.

- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:55:29 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Most overrated: Russell Westbrook and Ben Simmons.

I think Westbrook is fantastic. Yes, he's rather inefficient, but he's also an extremely high usage player who's an absolute force. He puts so much pressure on other teams. He's not a great defender, but few point guards are. So in general I'd love to have Westbrook. But only for three quarters. He can be a beast in the game and then totally f**k it up in the 4th quarter. Stupid decisions and dumb shots, when the game is on the line. That's the main reason why OKC didn't win a title when Durant was there.

Since I believe that Russell Westbrook is the worst player in the whole NBA to have on the court during crunch time I nominate him for most overrated player.

I made some elaborate posts on Ben Simmons recently and I found out that his stats and perception is no where near equal to his actual impact on the court. Many believe he's an upcoming superstar and I really don't think he will become that. I view Tatum as far superior and Brown's ceiling just as high as Simmons'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most underrated player: Joe Ingles and Stephen Curry.

Joe Ingles is one of the highest IQ players in the league. He isn't as athletic like other wing players, but he's very good. He can defend, pass, dribble and shoot. Any team can use a player like him. He doesn't have flashy stats, but I think he's a borderline All Star.

Has there ever been a player you need to be more aware of where he's on the court all the time than Curry? You play a team like Golden State, full of All Stars, and who do you gameplan for? Answer: Stephen Curry. And still he's basically unstoppable.

If I had to make a choice then I think that Kevin Durant right now is the best player in the world. And still Curry is the most important player on the Warriors. That's a bit weird, but I believe it to be true. We have never seen someone do the stuff like Curry does. At times it's absolutely magical.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:59:54 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Steven Adams is a very good call! TP.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I think Westbrook is fantastic. Yes, he's rather inefficient, but he's also an extremely high usage player who's an absolute force. He puts so much pressure on other teams. He's not a great defender, but few point guards are. So in general I'd love to have Westbrook. But only for three quarters. He can be a beast in the game and then totally f**k it up in the 4th quarter. Stupid decisions and dumb shots, when the game is on the line. That's the main reason why OKC didn't win a title when Durant was there.

Since I believe that Russell Westbrook is the worst player in the whole NBA to have on the court during crunch time I nominate him for most overrated player.

I made some elaborate posts on Ben Simmons recently and I found out that his stats and perception is no where near equal to his actual impact on the court. Many believe he's an upcoming superstar and I really don't think he will become that. I view Tatum as far superior and Brown's ceiling just as high as Simmons'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Ingles is one of the highest IQ players in the league. He isn't as athletic like other wing players, but he's very good. He can defend, pass, dribble and shoot. Any team can use a player like him. He doesn't have flashy stats, but I think he's a borderline All Star.

Has there ever been a player you need to be more aware of where he's on the court all the time than Curry? You play a team like Golden State, full of All Stars, and who do you gameplan for? Answer: Stephen Curry. And still he's basically unstoppable.

If I had to make a choice then I think that Kevin Durant right now is the best player in the world. And still Curry is the most important player on the Warriors. That's a bit weird, but I believe it to be true. We have never seen someone do the stuff like Curry does. At times it's absolutely magical.
How is Steph underrated? The guy has won 2 MVP awards. First ever unanimous MVP. Greatest shooter in NBA history. 3-time champ. Need I say more?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:28:14 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I see McCollum as pretty underrated.

I also think Towns is overrated.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:33:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm too lazy to do a full review of the entire NBA, so I'll just take my picks from what others have posted.   8)

OVER:  Ben Simmons.  Until he gets a jump shot, I don't see him as this elite type of player.  IMO, he's a bit better than Rajon Rondo at his peak.

UNDER: Joe Ingles.  Not flashy, just does a lot of things well and can SHOOT.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

How is Steph underrated? The guy has won 2 MVP awards. First ever unanimous MVP. Greatest shooter in NBA history. 3-time champ. Need I say more?

Because when they talk about Golden State it's always about that they have 4 (or 5) All Stars and not just: they have Curry and Durant.

Thompson and Green wouldn't be All Stars (anymore) without Curry. He makes them look good. Curry draws so much attention that Green looks like a great playmaker and Thompson gets easy open looks.

So I believe that from the All Stars Curry still doesn't get enough recognition. I haven't heard him being named a lot as potential MVP this season either. It's always about James, Harden, Westbrook, Antetokounmpo or Leonard.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Because when they talk about Golden State it's always about that they have 4 (or 5) All Stars and not just: they have Curry and Durant.

Thompson and Green wouldn't be All Stars (anymore) without Curry. He makes them look good. Curry draws so much attention that Green looks like a great playmaker and Thompson gets easy open looks.

So I believe that from the All Stars Curry still doesn't get enough recognition. I haven't heard him being named a lot as potential MVP this season either. It's always about James, Harden, Westbrook, Antetokounmpo or Leonard.
Only 13 players in NBA history have won MVP honors more than once. Curry is one of them, being the only one to have ever won the award unanimously. And you call this guy underrated? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Obviously, you have a different point of view and I respect that.

Btw, here is a fun quiz I came across a bit earlier.

Can you guys name the players who have won the NBA Most Valuable Player award more than once?
https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/nbamvp

I missed the last one. :(

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Only 13 players in NBA history have won MVP honors more than once. Curry is one of them, being the only one to have ever won the award unanimously. And you call this guy underrated? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Obviously, you have a different point of view and I respect that.

Can you guys name the players who have won the NBA Most Valuable Player award more than once?

I didn't recall him either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I didn't recall him either.

I missed one as well, but I guessed right on the name you guys missed.

I don't understand how I magically missed that one.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Most Overrated: Chris Paul

This isn't fair. Nobody said "Most Overrated Lists Need To Be Made With Consideration For The Context Within Which You Are Rating These Players". So, I'm sorry.

But Chris Paul hasn't been good this year, he likely isn't a top-10 point guard (this year), he hasn't been a top-30 player, and he makes 1.3 billion dollars. 

Most Underrate: Nikola Jokic although this train could switch directions quickly depending on how fast people are catching up.

Jokic is a weird breed of animal that looks like he's always in his 4th straight game of pickup at the gym and he's about had enough and it doesn't matter who freaking scores next, that's game. He looks like he still goes back for Greek Week every year and he's got two buddies named Donkey Doug. He has to differentiate between the Donkey Dougs.

But this guy is what, 5th in the league in total assists? He makes everyone better, that's one of the biggest factors for top-level players. And even with that, he's shooting like garbage from outside! Last year he darn near shot 40% from outside, he's 10 pts lower this year, and that screams slump, not regression.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm too lazy to do a full review of the entire NBA, so I'll just take my picks from what others have posted.   8)

OVER:  Ben Simmons.  Until he gets a jump shot, I don't see him as this elite type of player.  IMO, he's a bit better than Rajon Rondo at his peak.

UNDER: Joe Ingles.  Not flashy, just does a lot of things well and can SHOOT.

I'm with you....Simmons by far overrated, Ingles and I think Adams are underrated