Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy is not good...  (Read 3461 times)

Stan Van Gundy is not good...
« on: January 26, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I said this before the season but I got a lot of flak but Van Gundy is not coaching all that talent. Thibs is clearly the better coach.

Re: Stan Van Gundy is not good...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I said this before the season but I got a lot of flak but Van Gundy is not coaching all that talent. Thibs is clearly the better coach.

He’s the master of panic.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this may also be a case of the talent being massively over hyped, overrated and incredibly young and inexperienced. I don't think it's all on Stan.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Terrible roster construction. The acquisition of Steven Adams annoys the heck out of me. How can you put a paint-only big man next to Zion Williamson? Wrecking your entire offense's spacing in one move. Further compounded by putting Lonzo Ball in the backcourt next to these two guys.

There is no shooting there. 3 non-shooters. How do you expect to score?

They had a much better roster last season with Jrue Holiday there and those small backcourts next to Zion. Freeing Zion up to do what Zion does best. Too many backwards offseason roster changes.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 06:17:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I wonder whether these owners watch games on TV and decide, that commentator sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about - let's hire him....

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Terrible roster construction. The acquisition of Steven Adams annoys the heck out of me. How can you put a paint-only big man next to Zion Williamson? Wrecking your entire offense's spacing in one move. Further compounded by putting Lonzo Ball in the backcourt next to these two guys.

They had a much better roster last season with Jrue Holiday there and those small backcourts next to Zion. Freeing Zion up to do what Zion does best. Too many backwards offseason roster changes.

Exactly. They need shooting around Zion and Ingram and they have none. Their one "great" shooter in Redick is having a down season to boot. They need to target guys who can open up the floor for the two young players - a Brook Lopez or Myles Turner at center. A Buddy Hield like player in the backcourt.

They have some interesting assets. They should use them.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I think this may also be a case of the talent being massively over hyped, overrated and incredibly young and inexperienced. I don't think it's all on Stan.

How do you think the Pels would look if Thibs was their coach and not Van Gundy?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Exactly. They need shooting around Zion and Ingram and they have none. Their one "great" shooter in Redick is having a down season to boot. They need to target guys who can open up the floor for the two young players - a Brook Lopez or Myles Turner at center. A Buddy Hield like player in the backcourt.

Hart and Bledsoe can shoot. Both are shooting well so far this year. Their offense is a mess and so is their defense. They have way more talent than the Knicks, The Bulls, Thunder, and Rockets.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:35:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
David Griffin has some accountability. Everyone was singing his praises 5 minutes ago it seems.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 07:39:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bringing in Adams made literally no sense. Thrown off their whole offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 07:46:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How do you think the Pels would look if Thibs was their coach and not Van Gundy?
Not a lot better. As I said, I think their talent is overrated and extremely inexperienced. And as others have mentioned, there is definitely roster construction issues and roster imbalance.

I think in some ways Thibs is a better coach, but in some, he is not. I am not sure his record with the Pels team would be all that much better.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
He has Lonzo playing off ball which had me scratching my head this season.

ok fine

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Hart and Bledsoe can shoot. Both are shooting well so far this year. Their offense is a mess and so is their defense. They have way more talent than the Knicks, The Bulls, Thunder, and Rockets.

Eric Bledsoe is a career 33% shooter from 3 which is below average. Josh Hart is a 35% shooter from 3 which is right around average. So neither are guys defenses would feel bad about doubling off of. When I say shooters, I mean players that will punish teams if they're left open.

There was a graphic on Instagram a few days ago that I wish I'd saved. It showed the Hornets defending the Pelicans and every single Hornets player was inside the 3 point line, leaving Pelicans players about a foot of space to shoot. A modern NBA offense can't function that way.

Here's the thing: Lonzo isn't good enough in the half court to be a primary ballhandler.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Honestly I'm not sure who can make the most out of that kid.  Which team wants a ball-handler/distributor who doesn't score?

He'd need teammates who are good shooters and can score in volume without necessarily needing to dominate the ball to do it.  Rondo worked for us because Ray and KG were effective off-ball offensive players.  Draymond worked for GS because Steph and Klay were excellent off-ball offensive players.  But that's a relatively rare offensive skillset.  There are more guys like James Harden and Damian Lillard and Trey Young in the league right now than there are guys like Klay Thompson. 

Also, there are a LOT of good ball-handlers right now.  Pretty much every team already has that piece locked in, or at least has a project that they want to develop at the position.  I just don't know where Lonzo fits. 

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 10:26:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Eric Bledsoe is a career 33% shooter from 3 which is below average. Josh Hart is a 35% shooter from 3 which is right around average. So neither are guys defenses would feel bad about doubling off of. When I say shooters, I mean players that will punish teams if they're left open.

There was a graphic on Instagram a few days ago that I wish I'd saved. It showed the Hornets defending the Pelicans and every single Hornets player was inside the 3 point line, leaving Pelicans players about a foot of space to shoot. A modern NBA offense can't function that way.

Here's the thing: Lonzo isn't good enough in the half court to be a primary ballhandler.

They have two NBA All-Star caliber players and a bunch of really good players and they stink. Bledsoe is shooting 40% from three this year and Hart 36%. Ingram 37%... Adams and Zion are quality bigs. They could use more shooting, so could we, but they shouldn't just stink.