Author Topic: Rumor: Elton Brand to Miami  (Read 11366 times)

Re: Rumor: Elton Brand to Miami
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For clarification: Brand can't be traded during or prior to the draft.  He's got a player option, and until he makes a decision on it one way or the other, he's not going anywhere (and can't, pursuant to the CBA).

Do you know if they can trade him if he chooses not to opt out officially prior to the draft?

Nope.  They can't trade him until the beginning of the new League Year (which starts on July 1, although I think trades are placed on hold until the July 8 moratorium).

Quote from: Larry Coon's FAQ
[T]eams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

... When the trading deadline has passed.  Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.
That's very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Doesn't Jermaine O Neal (Raps trade rumour) have a opt out clause this summer? That would make him impossible to trade until free agency too.

True enough.  And Marion as well.  I think reporters are just starved for info, and are making stuff up.  Obviously, some of these trades could be completed after the draft, but not until July 8.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Elton Brand to Miami
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The rumor that I have seen is Brand for Marion. 
Yep me too, no sign of the #2 pick in most Brand-to-Miami rumours. It's in a few of them though.

I've heard several rumors that perhaps the LA Clippers would send Elton Brand to Miami in exchange for the second pick in this years draft. It's most likely that the 2nd pick will be Beasley in either situation. Thoughts?
Realistic? Absolutely not. There's no way Sterling green lights trading Brand for a draft pick. Riley would need to include salaries to make it work, Clippers won't want the bad contracts so that's likely Shawn Marion. Once Marion becomes involved Riley would be giving up two top assets and that'll be a difficult decision and I'm not sure he does it.

Should the Clippers do it? Absolutely. Beasley is extremely talented. Add him alongside the youthful Al Thornton and hopefully a young guard with the #7 pick. Add in Chris Kaman and possibly the return of Shaun Livingston to good health. That's a really interesting situation. Add Shawn Marion as a great trade asset to land the top guard they need. Great place to rebuild. On the other hand Elton Brand has only so many years left in his career and his team is entirely dependent on him which will make it difficult to retool quickly as his game lessens.

Should Miami do it? Nope not if Marion has to be included. If they can rid themselves of their bad contracts in the process, sure make that deal.

Maybe it's Brand and #7 for Marion and #2. I haven't heard this, but it makes more sense.
It does make more sense. I was hoping it wasn't that.

I'd be a reluctant if I'm the Clippers to do that. They need too much help in the backcourt, easier/better to keep the draft pick and use free agency to build a contender quickly than enter no man's land with a young very talented player.

If I'm Miami I'd be just about satisfied with that. If they could land Brook Lopez to have a center alongside Brand with Wade on the perimeter, that would be interesting. Or they could go with Joe Alexander at SF. Best point guard likely to be on the board at that point is DJ Augustin which is likely a stretch. Hmmm ... not sure that's better than Wade/Beasley/Marion, probably isn't. Fairly close though. #7 pick has more value to the Clips because Gordon is possibly/likely still on the board.

Not wild about it on either side then. Seems like a move made just to make a move. Better ways to retool by not making that trade.

If the Clippers think that Livingston's going to be healthy and productive then the trade give them him, Beasley, Kaman and Thornton. Not a bad start. All they'd need is a SG. They're not going far this year. If they don't plan on re-signing Brand then they're basically moving up from #7 to #2 for a player that's not in their future plans.

I don't watch a ton of college ball, but I don't know how much I like Gordon.

Re: Elton Brand to Miami
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 03:49:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
  Maybe it's Brand and #7 for Marion and #2. I haven't heard this, but it makes more sense.
It does make more sense. I was hoping it wasn't that.

I'd be a reluctant if I'm the Clippers to do that. They need too much help in the backcourt, easier/better to keep the draft pick and use free agency to build a contender quickly than enter no man's land with a young very talented player.

If I'm Miami I'd be just about satisfied with that. If they could land Brook Lopez to have a center alongside Brand with Wade on the perimeter, that would be interesting. Or they could go with Joe Alexander at SF. Best point guard likely to be on the board at that point is DJ Augustin which is likely a stretch. Hmmm ... not sure that's better than Wade/Beasley/Marion, probably isn't. Fairly close though. #7 pick has more value to the Clips because Gordon is possibly/likely still on the board.

Not wild about it on either side then. Seems like a move made just to make a move. Better ways to retool by not making that trade.

If the Clippers think that Livingston's going to be healthy and productive then the trade give them him, Beasley, Kaman and Thornton. Not a bad start. All they'd need is a SG. They're not going far this year. If they don't plan on re-signing Brand then they're basically moving up from #7 to #2 for a player that's not in their future plans.

I don't watch a ton of college ball, but I don't know how much I like Gordon.
Yep I'm still unwilling to assume Livingston comes back, that's why I had a negative reaction to the trade. I also think Livingston has a huge amount of work to do to become a good starting point guard when he does come back which also adds to the uncertainty. If the Clippers did think Shaun was going to be healthy then the trade still make some sense to them. Livingston/Thornton/Beasley/Kaman would be a nice core to build around.

I can't imagine Brand leaving the Clippers. Sterling will pay him top dollar to keep him around. He's basically been saying - I knew Elton was our best player and important to the team but I had no idea one player meant so much to the team, this whole season has been this because Elton hasn't been able to go, we'll definitely resign Elton, I want to keep Elton around for the rest of his career. Clippers have a decent situation to surround Brand with talent so I find it hard to see why he'd look for greener pastures. The reason I brought it up is because the Clippers won't and shouldn't expect Brand to leave in a years time, if he were likely it's a must do trade, which hurts the need for the trade.

Eric Gordon is an interesting player. I go back and forth on him. Somedays I think he's the best SG in the draft, somedays I don't. For a team like the Clippers he makes a lot of sense because they're desperate for some perimeter scoring and shooting. It would also allow them to move Cuttino Mobley to the bench alongside Brevin Knight which is a nice backup backcourt. Gordon also has tremendous quickness defensively and should be able to defend point guards in the NBA, which is important because Livingston struggled with quick point guards before he was injured (Livingston very good defensively on wings). I can see Eric Gordon filling a few holes and making life easier for the Clips, doesn't need to be an All-Star type player just a solid scoring option which he's very likely to become in a bad case scenario. On the flipside I don't see him having much use to teams that need a point guard (like Miami).