Author Topic: Which of these Jaylen trades, if any, do you make?  (Read 11039 times)

Which of these Jaylen trades, if any, do you make?
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 231
I'm a huge Jaylen Brown fan and his ascension to an All star player has been one of my favorite things to watch in all the NBA in recent years...but you have to wonder if the Brown/Tatum duo can work going forward. And if Ainge were to break them up i'm almost certain he'd keep Tatum.

Trade 1
CLE gets: J. Brown
BOS gets: D. Garland, Top 5 pick, T. Prince

Trade 2
MIN gets: J. Brown
BOS gets: A. Edwards, Top 3 pick

Trade 3
ATL gets: J. Brown, M. Smart
BOS gets: D. Hunter, J. Collins (S&T), K. Huerter

Trade 4
WAS gets: J. Brown, A. Nesmith, 1st round pick
BOS gets: B. Beal

Trade 5
GSW get: J. Brown, M. Smart, T. Thompson
BOS gets: J. Wiseman, MIN pick (Top 3 protected this year, unprotected next), A. Wiggins, J. Poole, GSW 2021 1st.

Trade 6
SAC gets: J. Brown
BOS gets: T. Haliburton, M. Bagley, SAC 2021 1st rounder

Re: Which of these Jaylen trades, if any, do you make?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather keep Brown and trade Kemba but we'd have to trade assets just to move him.

If I had to pick one of those, and I am against dealing Brown, I would choose 4

I like Haliburton but not sure I would want Bagley with him.  Now if we could move Kemba and get Haliburton and Harrison Barnes for Brown and Nesmith I might do 6 but a lot would have to happen.

SAC TOWN IS picking 8th as of today so I doubt they would bite and Haliburton is nice player.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
I don't see us (or want to see us) trading Brown to go the younger, draft pick direction so that eliminates Trades 1, 2, 5, and to some extent 6.  I feel we need to build around Tatum, not re-boot around him.

The other 2 trades do result in some combination of star or depth players. I guess the Atlanta trade is good as you are getting back 3 pretty good players, one of which is a PF that we desperately need.  I am just not sure how good these Atlanta players are.  Collins could be an all star level big.  I guess if that is what you think, you do the trade.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I'm a huge Jaylen Brown fan and his ascension to an All star player has been one of my favorite things to watch in all the NBA in recent years...but you have to wonder if the Brown/Tatum duo can work going forward. And if Ainge were to break them up i'm almost certain he'd keep Tatum.

Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Trade 4

Trade 5
BOS gets: J. Wiseman, MIN pick (Top 3 protected this year, unprotected next), A. Wiggins, J. Poole, GSW 2021 1st.

Trade 6

Trade 5 is very interesting.

Given how Golden State has performed recently they might be desperate enough to do it and Brown would be a perfect compliment of young defensive legs to Klay and Steph. You would only consider it if Wolves pick fell to 4 and you believe Evan Mobley & Wiseman can co-exist, Suggs drops to 4 or you move Wiseman for another piece and draft Mobley.

I think the Celtics are currently stuck in such a difficult position as I believe either ownership wants to win now or Ainge is close to retirement and wants to get back to the finals before he retires. But given the teams misfortune I think it's in the teams best interest to go slightly younger, retool and wait out Kemba's deal so we can make room for a true 3rd max guy in 3 seasons and make a real push.

I know people love to bash Ainge and/or Stevens, but in consecutive seasons we have lost Horford, Irving, Rozier and Hayward, all to reasons out of the Celtics control. Given the circumstances Ainge and co have done an amazing job keeping the team competitive. Can you imagine if this season we had Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Irving as our starting 5?!!! If Horford understood he was better suited to playing centre and took a slight pay cut to stay in the same city long term and perhaps be captain. Ainge would have held out till the offseason to pay Tatum the max deal and Hayward never gets hurt, accepts his final year player option and Irving isn't a nutcase keeps his word and resigns to a team that would probably have retired his jersey. We would be the best team in the NBA and guaranteed a trip to the Finals.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:06:39 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Let me pose a related question regarding Brown.  Where do people feel that Brown is relative to his NBA ceiling?  Is he 60% there?, 80%?  90%+?

Right now, Brown is what I would call a fringe all star.  He is a one time all star but right now, not the level of player who you would say he will be a perennial all star.  At least not right now at his current level.  But he is going to improve.

But if he improves another 10% or 20% which is very reasonable for a kind of raw talent like him, how good is he then?  All this trade talk around Brown make me think people view this as kind of what you see is what you are going to get.  Sell high I guess.

I am the opposite.  I think he will continue to improve and go from a fringe all star to something better.  I am not sure what but above fringe all star is perennial all star and then just star.  So I only trade Brown for at minimum a perennial all star but more likely an actual star like Harden for example.

Beal would qualify as a star but are any of the other proposed players going to be even all stars?  Collins maybe?  Wiseman maybe but not for a few years.  And if not, why are we talking about trading Brown for them?

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Like 3.. but think Smart will be a goner in the summer
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:20:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:44:22 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Let me pose a related question regarding Brown.  Where do people feel that Brown is relative to his NBA ceiling?  Is he 60% there?, 80%?  90%+?

Right now, Brown is what I would call a fringe all star.  He is a one time all star but right now, not the level of player who you would say he will be a perennial all star.  At least not right now at his current level.  But he is going to improve.

But if he improves another 10% or 20% which is very reasonable for a kind of raw talent like him, how good is he then?  All this trade talk around Brown make me think people view this as kind of what you see is what you are going to get.  Sell high I guess.

I am the opposite.  I think he will continue to improve and go from a fringe all star to something better.  I am not sure what but above fringe all star is perennial all star and then just star.  So I only trade Brown for at minimum a perennial all star but more likely an actual star like Harden for example.

Beal would qualify as a star but are any of the other proposed players going to be even all stars?  Collins maybe?  Wiseman maybe but not for a few years.  And if not, why are we talking about trading Brown for them?

I'm in the minority here. I think Jaylen passed Tatum this year. I think Tatum needs to step back and rethink things a bit in order to reach his full potential.  I still believe they both can reach 1st team all-NBA level within two years if they do what it takes, but I'm actually more confident in Jaylen right now.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think JB is in the 80-85% to his ceiling right now.  If he can get his 3P% up a couple of more ticks and finesse creating his own shot more, he'll get there.    The jump he's made in the past two years has been incredible and there is still room for growth.   He's a stud.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
I'd rather keep Brown and trade Kemba but we'd have to trade assets just to move him.

If I had to pick one of those, and I am against dealing Brown, I would choose 4

I like Haliburton but not sure I would want Bagley with him.  Now if we could move Kemba and get Haliburton and Harrison Barnes for Brown and Nesmith I might do 6 but a lot would have to happen.

SAC TOWN IS picking 8th as of today so I doubt they would bite and Haliburton is nice player.

+1

Any trade , for Brown would necessitate moving Kemba for me as priority.  Luv Kemba , but I’m all about winning titles and I d trade anything but my dog if I was Danny to win.   Even the old lady is negotiable  ;D

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I received intel that not only does JB know about these forums but so does Marcus Smart so I am professing my dying love of both.

My source is Kevin Oconnors source so it's legit.

ok fine

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trades 3 and 5 appeal to me. Mostly trade 3
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Trade 4

Trade 5

Trade 6

Quote 3 and 4 are the best/most likely doable options both ways.  I think brown has pulled even with the best years of jimmy butler, and his ceiling is the best years of Kawhi Leonard.  Kawhi is about 2-3 pts, 2-3 rebounds 2-3 assists more per game with slightly better defense.  He just needs to do it consistently for about the next 10 years.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555
Trade 4 is the only one that I'd consider.  Top end talent wins championships and that's the only trade where we're getting the best player.  However Beal isn't that much of an improvement over Brown and there's only 2 years left on his contract with the 2nd year being a player option.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490
I say no to all those trades, even the Beal one.  Yeah Beal is better on offense than Jaylen right now, but the gap is closing, and Jaylen is a better more versatile defender.   Beal's production will drop if you throw him in with Tatum in this offense.  Throw in Nesmith and a 1st, no way would I do that.

So, just like all the other trade brown or trade tatum threads the answer is no.  We keep Tatum, we keep Brown, we keep Timelord.  Anyone else is probably on the block at this point.