Author Topic: Where would you rank these top 10 duos?  (Read 2439 times)

Where would you rank these top 10 duos?
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
First off, Colin Cowherd is a hack. Don't know how you don't have Harden/Westbrook in there at all.

But how would you rank it?

1) Kawhi & PG
2) LeBron James & AD
3) Giannis & Middleton
4) James Harden & Westbrook
5) Luka Doncic & KP
6) JT & Walker (Although Jaylen should also be considered.)
7) Joel Embiid & Simmons
8 )  Nikola Jokic & Murray
9) Jimmy Butler & Bam
10)  Damian Lillad & CJ
HM - Gobert & DM

EDIT: Changed my list.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:03:32 PM by Redz »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Where would you rank these top 10 duo's?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
They might not be the best, but I think I might enjoy watching Lillard and McCollum the best.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1. Lebron / Davis
2. Giannis / Middleton
3. Kawhi/ George
4. Tatum / Walker

I don’t care after that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Boston is not a duo. It is a 3, sometimes 4 headed problem for other teams.  If just ranking top 2, Boston isn't in the top 5. Just a fact.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Boston is not a duo. It is a 3, sometimes 4 headed problem for other teams.  If just ranking top 2, Boston isn't in the top 5. Just a fact.

That's how I see it, although if Tatum can replicate his February numbers, he's a clear cut above most players listed there.

They might not be the best, but I think I might enjoy watching Lillard and McCollum the best.

Agreed, Lillard and CJ when their both hot is amazing to watch. My only issue with that backcourt is their both weak defensively, so while I think they are both explosive scorers, one of them has to go, and I'm thinking CJ may be traded in a year depending on how they do in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yeh.  That's funny.  I hadn't even looked that closely at the graphic I guess.  I had just assumed the duo was Tatum and Brown for the Celtics. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
taking off my green glasses and evaluating for this season only where there's just 8 games left and the playoffs, I see it like this:
1. Lebron & AD  (until he shows he can't carry a team with a decent supporting cast in the playoffs, he's still the best in the league)
2. Kawhi & PG -- Kawhi put Toronto on his back last year and has a better #2 in PG this year
3. Giannis & Middleton.  Giannis is an MVP candidate and Middleton showed he could step up as #2 last year
4. Harden & Westbrook.  too dynamic as scorers to not be considered a top duo
for me, this is the cutoff from duos you can almost guarantee will produce on the biggest stage from those that can suffer from an off night and cost their teams

5. Luka & Porzingis -- putting at the top of this part of the list because Luka has a major impact even if his shot is off.  KP isn't consistent enough to push them into the top bracket
6. Tatum & Walker/Brown -- Tatum when he's on can carry the team's offense and his D has gotten much better this year.  Debating if Brown is the real #2 man here based on his game this year (and since the return of the scrimmages) and his past playoff performances.  What helps the C's overall is that they can put 4 guys on the court capable of having all-star performances with JT, JB, Kemba and Hayward.
7. Jokic & Murray -- Jokic is the stud here but Murray doesn't provide the consistency needed and his D needs work.
8. Embiid & Simmons -- Embiid can be a monster but seems susceptible to head games.  Simmons desperately needs to develop a respectable jumper.  when they're on their game though, they're very tough.
9. Siakam & Lowry -- Siakam has shown he can step up as a #1.  Lowry finally showed he can make an impact in the playoffs.
10. Butler & Bam -- toss up between them and Gobert/Mitchell but give them the nod because Butler is the best player of the 4. 

Honorable Mention
Gobert/Mitchell  -- held back due to Mitchell's lack of D
Lillard & Mccollum -- dynamic backcourt but held back due to neither being a big man that can help on the boards.

Note: if not for injuries, obviously Curry and Thompson are in the top tier of this list

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
taking off my green glasses and evaluating for this season only where there's just 8 games left and the playoffs, I see it like this:
1. Lebron & AD  (until he shows he can't carry a team with a decent supporting cast in the playoffs, he's still the best in the league)
2. Kawhi & PG -- Kawhi put Toronto on his back last year and has a better #2 in PG this year
3. Giannis & Middleton.  Giannis is an MVP candidate and Middleton showed he could step up as #2 last year
for me, this is the cutoff from duos you can almost guarantee will produce on the biggest stage from those that can suffer from an off night and cost their teams

5. Luka & Porzingis -- putting at the top of this part of the list because Luka has a major impact even if his shot is off.  KP isn't consistent enough to push them into the top bracket
6. Tatum & Walker/Brown -- Tatum when he's on can carry the team's offense and his D has gotten much better this year.  Debating if Brown is the real #2 man here based on his game this year (and since the return of the scrimmages) and his past playoff performances.  What helps the C's overall is that they can put 4 guys on the court capable of having all-star performances with JT, JB, Kemba and Hayward.
7. Jokic & Murray -- Jokic is the stud here but Murray doesn't provide the consistency needed and his D needs work.
8. Embiid & Simmons -- Embiid can be a monster but seems susceptible to head games.  Simmons desperately needs to develop a respectable jumper.  when they're on their game though, they're very tough.
9. Siakam & Lowry -- Siakam has shown he can step up as a #1.  Lowry finally showed he can make an impact in the playoffs.
10. Butler & Bam -- toss up between them and Gobert/Mitchell but give them the nod because Butler is the best player of the 4. 

Honorable Mention
Lillard & Mccollum -- dynamic backcourt but held back due to neither being a big man that can help on the boards.

Note: if not for injuries, obviously Curry and Thompson are in the top tier of this list
Another duo to consider that we didn't see because of injuries was KD and Kyrie. They'll likely be a top-10 duo.

One I wonder about is the return of the Washington back-court. How well will John Wall come back?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Where would you rank these top 10 duos?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This is tough because some pairs I feel have only individual "iso" ability or others have strong duo "chemistry" giving assist to each other. Few have "both" strengths. I'm still do top half so 11 and note what I feel they have strongly, if "iso, chem or both"

For the record though I'd say healthy Curry and Klay would be top 4 for me if they were in the bubble.

1. LeBron, AD (both)
2. Giannis, Middleton (both)
3. Kawhi, PG (Iso)
4. Harden, Westbrook (Iso)
5. Butler, Bam (Chem)
6. Siakam, Lowry (Chem)
7. The Js (Iso)
8. Luka, KP (Iso)
9. Ingram and Zion (Iso)
10. Lillard, CJ (Iso)
11. Embid, Simons (Iso)

I can explain my veiw on each in more detail but trying not to make too long a post. We all have our opinions.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Honorable Mention

Another duo to consider that we didn't see because of injuries was KD and Kyrie. They'll likely be a top-10 duo.

One I wonder about is the return of the Washington back-court. How well will John Wall come back?
good point on those 2 duos.   KD and Kyrie at this point would be based on speculation they would gel better than Kyrie did in Boston.  Wall/Beal is another solid duo where the only question is Wall's health and the fact that as good as they are, they can't get Wash into the playoffs in the East.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 10:10:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Honorable Mention

good point on those 2 duos.   KD and Kyrie at this point would be based on speculation they would gel better than Kyrie did in Boston.  Wall/Beal is another solid duo where the only question is Wall's health and the fact that as good as they are, they can't get Wash into the playoffs in the East.
Yeah, I really wonder about Kyrie. He clearly thinks of himself as an Alpha no.1 level talent, but he's also obviously inferior to KD (unless KD takes a long time to return, and is never the same). Could easily see them struggling.

Yeah, no doubt about Washington. They were at their best in 16-17 when they beat Atlanta but lost to us (in a tough series). Dunno if Wall can return, but if he does they're on a similar level to Dame and CJ

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
1. AD/LeBron
2. Curry/Draymond (assuming that this year is an anomaly)
3. Kawhi/PG
4. Giannis/Middleton
5. Harden/Westbrook
6. KD/Kyrie (dinged them a bit due to KD's torn achilles + Kyrie's unpredictability)
7. Embiid/Simmons (open to dropping them a few slots due to fit issues)
8. Gobert/Mitchell
9. Butler/Bam
10. Tatum/Kemba or Brown (might drop them out of this list if Tatum doesn't improve)

Honourable mention to Siakam/Lowry.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:45 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
This is tough because some pairs I feel have only individual "iso" ability or others have strong duo "chemistry" giving assist to each other. Few have "both" strengths. I'm still do top half so 11 and note what I feel they have strongly, if "iso, chem or both"

For the record though I'd say healthy Curry and Klay would be top 4 for me if they were in the bubble.

1. LeBron, AD (both)
3. Kawhi, PG (Iso)
5. Butler, Bam (Chem)
6. Siakam, Lowry (Chem)
7. The Js (Iso)
8. Luka, KP (Iso)
9. Ingram and Zion (Iso)
10. Lillard, CJ (Iso)
11. Embid, Simons (Iso)

I can explain my veiw on each in more detail but trying not to make too long a post. We all have our opinions.

That's a solid list that I agree with. I think Embiid/Simmons are a great duo, but I still question the fit. The potential/ceiling is certainly there.

1. AD/LeBron
3. Kawhi/PG
4. Giannis/Middleton
5. Harden/Westbrook
6. KD/Kyrie (dinged them a bit due to KD's torn achilles + Kyrie's unpredictability)
8. Gobert/Mitchell
9. Butler/Bam
10. Tatum/Kemba or Brown (might drop them out of this list if Tatum doesn't improve)

The top 10 duo's is mainly for this year.

It's clear that Curry/Dray or Curry/Klay would probably be a top 5 duo easy.

I find it fairly curious why you have Tatum ranked so low, but to each their own.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:22:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

1. LeBron, AD (both)
3. Kawhi, PG (Iso)
5. Butler, Bam (Chem)
6. Siakam, Lowry (Chem)
7. The Js (Iso)
8. Luka, KP (Iso)
9. Ingram and Zion (Iso)
10. Lillard, CJ (Iso)
11. Embid, Simons (Iso)

That's a solid list that I agree with. I think Embiid/Simmons are a great duo, but I still question the fit. The potential/ceiling is certainly there.

1. AD/LeBron
3. Kawhi/PG
4. Giannis/Middleton
5. Harden/Westbrook
8. Gobert/Mitchell
9. Butler/Bam

The top 10 duo's is mainly for this year.

It's clear that Curry/Dray or Curry/Klay would probably be a top 5 duo easy.

I find it fairly curious why you have Tatum ranked so low, but to each their own.
I just don't think he's a surefire top 15 player, especially with his regression so far in the restart. I always thought that his stretch in February was more of a purple patch instead of the new norm (although I did accept the possibility of his ceiling being bumped up to fringe MVP levels) and I currently have him in the top 20-30 range.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 04:13:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
1. AD & LeBron
2. Kawhi & PG
3. Giannis & Middleton
4. Curry & Klay
5. Harden & Westbrook
6. Luka & KP
7. JT & JB
8. Butler & Bam
9. Lillard & CJ
10. Embiid & Simmons
11. Jokic & Murray

HM: Mitchell & Gobert, Siakam & Lowry

I left off KD and Kyrie because we haven't seen anything from them, unlike Curry & Klay who have numerous rings