Author Topic: Tom Brady is the ultimate competitor  (Read 7612 times)

Re: Tom Brady is the ultimate competitor
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Tom Brady's really good. But without Pete Carroll gift-wrapping a Super Bowl for the Patriots in 2015 -- arguably the luckiest SB win ever -- they'd not have won one in over 10 years. That's a bit of a stain on the "Ultimate Competitor" hyperbole, even if it's a little easier to blame Big Bill than Tom....
Ok that makes little sense. Tom Brady staged a big comeback in that game. Don't know if anyone else thought the same as I did, but I figured that game was over. But Brady never quit there either and got us the lead. Whether we win or not, I still would had respected his will to win.

Also 6 Super Bowl appearances and all the conference championships speaks for itself. Not sure what other QB is even close to his marks.

No, you just don't like it. If you're objective and recognize Carroll's call as the worst in NFL history, you recognize that Tom Brady would be 3-3 in the Super Bowl without it.

I'll take Montana at 4-0, thanks, as my "Ultimate Competitor".... because I'm not a homer.

so Brady is punished because he made it to the superbowl more times than Montana ?

And we are living in a fantasy world where Tom Brady didn't actually win that Seattle Superbowl ?

Makes total sense . You may not be a homer , but certainly a hater .....
Agreed. The two extra Super Bowls, even tho they were losses, only adds to his resume.

As far as I'm concerned, Brady could lose another 3 Super Bowls and it would still add to his greatness. Just for being able to get there.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Agreed. The two extra Super Bowls, even tho they were losses, only adds to his resume.

As far as I'm concerned, Brady could lose another 3 Super Bowls and it would still add to his greatness. Just for being able to get there.
One of the most fantastic opportunities in sports is being able to root an all-time great player in his prime. I think I only got into football because TB12 was on the local team... and I'm kind of sorry I didn't really pay attention for the first 3-4 years I was around (2004-2008).

Savor it, folks. It's going to be like going from Kevin Garnett to Jared Sullinger when it's all said an done.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Tom Brady's really good. But without Pete Carroll gift-wrapping a Super Bowl for the Patriots in 2015 -- arguably the luckiest SB win ever -- they'd not have won one in over 10 years. That's a bit of a stain on the "Ultimate Competitor" hyperbole, even if it's a little easier to blame Big Bill than Tom....
Ok that makes little sense. Tom Brady staged a big comeback in that game. Don't know if anyone else thought the same as I did, but I figured that game was over. But Brady never quit there either and got us the lead. Whether we win or not, I still would had respected his will to win.

Also 6 Super Bowl appearances and all the conference championships speaks for itself. Not sure what other QB is even close to his marks.

No, you just don't like it. If you're objective and recognize Carroll's call as the worst in NFL history, you recognize that Tom Brady would be 3-3 in the Super Bowl without it.

I'll take Montana at 4-0, thanks, as my "Ultimate Competitor".... because I'm not a homer.

so Brady is punished because he made it to the superbowl more times than Montana ?

And we are living in a fantasy world where Tom Brady didn't actually win that Seattle Superbowl ?

Makes total sense . You may not be a homer , but certainly a hater .....

Plus in the first Giants superbowl he had lead his team to an 18-0 record, and drove down the field late in the 4th to give the Pats a lead . Then the Miracle catch came .....

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
And without the Tyree, Manningham, and Kearse circus catches, he might have 6 SBs, Pete Carroll or no Pete Carroll. Sorry, you'll get zero traction with this here.

So your argument is: if the other teams hadn't made great plays, the Pats would have won? Impressive stuff. Why even play the games? And how does this relate to Pete Carroll making the single dumbest human error in the history of the league? It doesn't.

Such a predictable thread. I never said Tom Brady wasn't good, or even great. He's one of the best of all time, and his play this season in the face of pretty horrendous coaching and GMing from Belichick was arguably the most impressive of his career (considering his age, etc).

Yet someone called him the Ultimate Competitor. Ultimate suggest "the best" or "Number 1". He's not. Deal with it.

In the meantime, it's just too easy to get the goat of blind Pats fans....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
And without the Tyree, Manningham, and Kearse circus catches, he might have 6 SBs, Pete Carroll or no Pete Carroll. Sorry, you'll get zero traction with this here.

So your argument is: if the other teams hadn't made great plays, the Pats would have won? Impressive stuff. Why even play the games? And how does this relate to Pete Carroll making the single dumbest human error in the history of the league? It doesn't.

Such a predictable thread. I never said Tom Brady wasn't good, or even great. He's one of the best of all time, and his play this season in the face of pretty horrendous coaching and GMing from Belichick was arguably the most impressive of his career (considering his age, etc).

Yet someone called him the Ultimate Competitor. Ultimate suggest "the best" or "Number 1". He's not. Deal with it.

Logic is not your thing. But it's cool man. Glad that win vs Seattle still stings you.  8)

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Logic is not your thing. But it's cool man. Glad that win vs Seattle still stings you.  8)

Rrrrrriiiight. I'm the one being illogical, despite the fact that I have no horse in this race.

Couldn't care less about the Seahawks. Not a fan.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well, if the Patriots defense hasn't made great plays, the Seahawks would have won. Did you think that Lynch tackled himself at the one-yard line? Or that just because Carroll decided to throw it's an automatic game-clinching pick? If Butler knocks the ball down instead of snatching it, Seattle probably wins. If the Seahawks don't jump offside after the pick, we may be looking at a safety and a free kick into a game-winning FG.

I'm guessing great plays are all but normal when they go against the Patriots, and a gift-wrap when they don't. To each their own.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Rrrrrriiiight. I'm the one being illogical, despite the fact that I have no horse in this race.

Couldn't care less about the Seahawks. Not a fan.
You certainly have a funny way of showing you don't care.  :-\

Guess you wish you knew how sweet these super bowl wins were. :)

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Well, if the Patriots defense hasn't made great plays, the Seahawks would have won. Did you think that Lynch tackled himself at the one-yard line? Or that just because Carroll decided to throw it's an automatic game-clinching pick? If Butler knocks the ball down instead of snatching it, Seattle probably wins. If the Seahawks don't jump offside after the pick, we may be looking at a safety and a free kick into a game-winning FG.

I'm guessing great plays are all but normal when they go against the Patriots, and a gift-wrap when they don't. To each their own.

Fair enough. Of course Butler's play was great -- just never should have happened. I think we can agree this topic is nebulous at best, and fairly boring, anyway.

A better one: why is Belichick so overrated by Pats fans who refuse to believe he's capable of (lots of) mistakes?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
A better one: why is Belichick so overrated by Pats fans who refuse to believe he's capable of (lots of) mistakes?
They do? I thought he got roundly criticized for the way he handled this season.

Ultimately, though, being right more often than not and closing the deal a time or four will earn you a lot of goodwill.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Fair enough. Of course Butler's play was great -- just never should have happened. I think we can agree this topic is nebulous at best, and fairly boring, anyway.

Because he is right so many other times and consistently out coaches every other coach.

This is like the best day ever. I love patriot haters. Makes me enjoy their super bowl wins even more.

Thanks buddy. 

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
They do? I thought he got roundly criticized for the way he handled this season.

Ultimately, though, being right more often than not and closing the deal a time or four will earn you a lot of goodwill.

He has a pretty darn impressive resume so most Pats fans are prone to give him the benefit of a doubt.   6 Super Bowl appearances as HC, 10 AFC Championship games,  13 AFC East titles (I think that's where he's at now.  Math could be off). 

He's had his fair share of blunders but when you measure him up against the Andy Reids, Mike McCarthys, & Chuck Paganos of the world, you learn to appreciate the guy.    Some of the things he has done has certainly made me scratch my head and he's had his backfires but looking around the league gives you a great appreciation of the guy too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I am not a Patriots fan. I am a Giants fan. After reading this I want to put some input in. Brady is certainly lucky to have won some super bowls he shouldn't have, but at the same time he got unlucky to lose 2 super bowls he shouldn't have. It sort of balances itself out no? Brady is no doubt ONE of the best QB's to ever play. Not sure I am ready to anoint him the best quite yet.

Point 2: Belichick was really bad against the Broncos. I thought he was uncharacteristically bad. Again, I am not sure I am willing to call Belichick the best coach ever.

Point 3: Ultimate competitor is an interesting phrase. Is Elgin Baylor the ultimate competitor for the NBA? He made it to 8 NBA Finals, but lost each one. What about LeBron James? He took some bad Cavs team deep into the playoffs, AND currently has a streak of 5 straight trips to the Finals, and a legit chance to make it 6. What defines the ultimate competitor???

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Point 2: Belichick was really bad against the Broncos. I thought he was uncharacteristically bad.
Believe it or not, he was worse in Game 16 of the season against the Dolphins, when he trotted out a game plan that didn't have a snowball's chance in hell to work. It almost looked like he wanted to lose that game.

The AFC championship game would have looked a lot different without the altitude and the crowd noise.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I am not a Patriots fan. I am a Giants fan. After reading this I want to put some input in. Brady is certainly lucky to have won some super bowls he shouldn't have, but at the same time he got unlucky to lose 2 super bowls he shouldn't have. It sort of balances itself out no? Brady is no doubt ONE of the best QB's to ever play. Not sure I am ready to anoint him the best quite yet.

Point 2: Belichick was really bad against the Broncos. I thought he was uncharacteristically bad. Again, I am not sure I am willing to call Belichick the best coach ever.

Point 3: Ultimate competitor is an interesting phrase. Is Elgin Baylor the ultimate competitor for the NBA? He made it to 8 NBA Finals, but lost each one. What about LeBron James? He took some bad Cavs team deep into the playoffs, AND currently has a streak of 5 straight trips to the Finals, and a legit chance to make it 6. What defines the ultimate competitor???

Didn't Lebron take himself out of the last finals vs the Spurs in game 6 with like 6 mins left , and his team down 15 or something ?

I think Cam Newton and Lebron are kind of the same type of personality , they dance and celebrate why they are dominating , but when they lose they cry and whine like the Diva's they are .

I think the ultimate competitors in nba would include Duncan ,  Butler, Khwahi Leonard , Draymond Green