Author Topic: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks  (Read 18865 times)

Re: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2009, 10:41:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Not to belabor the point, but Peter King has the following:

Aside from the late haggling between the Bears and Broncos over the price, I do know some facts that haven't been out there -- I don't think -- yet. The five things I know for sure, from talking to those in the middle of the Cutler trade discussions in the three days since the deal went down:

1. The key to the trade was Kyle Orton. Laugh if you want, but it's the absolute truth. McDaniels looked hard at tape of the available quarterbacks from teams that made serious offers, players like Orton, Washington's Jason Campbell and Tampa Bay's Luke McCown. Every one of those teams was in the ballpark with an offer of at least two first-round draft picks and a quarterback.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You can never overpay for a QB if he can help you win.  (Eli Manning is the perfect example)

Cutler's record has alot more to do with a lack of defense then what he was doing where as the Bears QBs records had a lot more to do with lack of offensive production. 

I have heard more then one annalist say that when looking at the Bears film last year, there were a lot of WRs running open down the field, but the Bears QB couldn't get the ball to them.   Well Cutler can get the ball to them.  Then, either the Bears get big passing plays or defenses will have to pull off them which opens up more space to run.