Author Topic: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks  (Read 18863 times)

Re: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Jay Cutler is A-W-F-U-L.. Chicago should have fun watching and realizing he isnt much better then Rex Grossman, hes never been in the playoffs, and hes a primadonna loser
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Jay Cutler is A-W-F-U-L.. Chicago should have fun watching and realizing he isnt much better then Rex Grossman, hes never been in the playoffs, and hes a primadonna loser

He's not awful, and there's no way he's only a little better then Grossman, who is a disaster. A huge price to pay for Cutler, IMO, but they aren't getting back some scrub who can't play. Cutler is a legit QB, and will make that Chicago team better. The only problem is all those picks. Cutler better work out, because otherwise it will really hurt the rebuilding process.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
Huge Bears fan here as well. Much more Celtics/Bears Fans on this board than one could expect. 

I love this deal, did the Bears pay out of the nose to get Cutler, sure, 2 firsts a 3rd and Orton. But the Bears had to do something to turn around that offense, With now Cutler and Forte the Bears have a great starting foundation.  The Bears have a lot of work to do to shore up their Receivers, Hester right now is not a #1, his route running was better this year, but his hands were much like Perks on a fast break.  The Bears need to address that in the 2nd Round and will need to use their Comp Pick in the 3rd on a DE or go after another WR.  Sure they could make a play for an OL, but with the addition of Pace(if healthy 14 games in 2008), Omiyale(untested, really) and Shaffer(Browns starter) and Chris Williams hopefully healthy enough to be a starting tackle I think the Bears have made some great improvements on that line. 

This is a move that the Bears had to make, Kyle Orton was a good QB but he is not a franchise changing QB, Cutler is. 

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Nothing like bringing the Jay Cutler to Earl Bennett combination back from their Commodore days.  Throw in Chris Williams, and you've got 3/11ths of the 2005 Vanderbilt football team there!  While the Bears will begin the season with high hopes, an upset loss to Middle Tennessee will send them reeling and out of bowl contention...
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
the bears overpaid.

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »

• Don Chaney

He's not awful, and there's no way he's only a little better then Grossman, who is a disaster. A huge price to pay for Cutler, IMO, but they aren't getting back some scrub who can't play. Cutler is a legit QB, and will make that Chicago team better. The only problem is all those picks. Cutler better work out, because otherwise it will really hurt the rebuilding process.

I think cutler is a disaster myself, Ive literally been more impressed with Rex Grossman.. Jay cutler is a numbnut with little football intelligence who throws the same type of stupid/wild interceptions as Rex Grossman

Hes a franchise QB? why because he has a big arm? hes like a combination of a 40 yr old Brett Favre and Ryan Leaf, his career resume is worse then Grossmans and hes done nothing in the NFl expect prove to be a complete and utter moron....
The players in that Bears lockerroom arent gonna rally around the prissy mommas boy Jay Cutler..
Im with McDaniels...and I think the broncos got a huge steal
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hes a franchise QB? ... his career resume is worse then Grossmans

Their respective stats:

Grossman vs. Cutler:

Career Starts:  31 (in six seasons) vs. 37 (in three seasons)

Career Wins:  19 vs. 17

Career YPG: 171.2 (199.6 career high) vs. 243.9 (282.9 career high)

Career Comp. Perc.: 54.2% vs. 62.5%

Career TDs: 33 vs. 54

Career QB Rating: 70.2 vs. 87.1

Career Rushing Yards: 80 vs. 423

======================================

Come on, man.  The two players aren't even close.  The only reason Grossman has more wins is because he played one year on a team that had an absolutely dominant defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

• Don Chaney

Their respective stats:

Grossman vs. Cutler:

Come on, man.  The two players aren't even close.  The only reason Grossman has more wins is because he played one year on a team that had an absolutely dominant defense.

Grossman also has a putrid offense, and cutler has had a good one...
I'll stand by my opinion of Jay Cutler not being all that good, Ive never been impressed with him...I thought the Broncos were better off with Jake Plummer as a QB.

Just wait until cutler sees the bears offense and wide recievers and has to play in that weather more consistently...He'll be as wildly inconsistent as Grossman was and lead them nowhere...book it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3kHiMg2TvM

Shouldnt be too long Until cutler says hes better then the whole collective 85 bears.. And he hasnt won a thing...doesnt even know what its like to play in a playoff game.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:32:22 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Their respective stats:

Grossman vs. Cutler:

Cutler's stats were inflated by having FANTASTIC receivers (of which the bears have zero), a good running game, and a very very solid O-line.  I am sure Cutler will put up better numbers for the bears than Orton or Grossman, but he will not put up the same numbers he did in Denver. 

They grossly overpaid.

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
They grossly overpaid.

They paid a lot, sure.  I'm not sure about "grossly overpaid", though.  They paid market price, based on what other teams were offering; from reports, the draft pick compensation each team was offering was similar, with the Broncos preferring Orton over some of the other players offered, including Jason Campbell.  Historically, there aren't a lot of comparisons; it's not often that a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB is put on the market.

The Bears got a bonafide top-10 quarterback and a #5 for two #1s and a #3.  Since Jerry Angelo has been pretty hit-or-miss with first rounders (he's better in later rounds), I think the deal was a good one from the Bears perspective.  What are the chances that the Broncos land a player at #18, or in the bottom-third of the first round next year, that is comparable to Cutler's impact?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They grossly overpaid.

They paid a lot, sure.  I'm not sure about "grossly overpaid", though.  They paid market price, based on what other teams were offering; from reports, the draft pick compensation each team was offering was similar, with the Broncos preferring Orton over some of the other players offered, including Jason Campbell.  Historically, there aren't a lot of comparisons; it's not often that a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB is put on the market.

The Bears got a bonafide top-10 quarterback and a #5 for two #1s and a #3.  Since Jerry Angelo has been pretty hit-or-miss with first rounders (he's better in later rounds), I think the deal was a good one from the Bears perspective.  What are the chances that the Broncos land a player at #18, or in the bottom-third of the first round next year, that is comparable to Cutler's impact?
Sums up my thoughts pretty well. Its a big risk, but the reward of getting a top flight QB is worth it.

TP just for being a Bears fan Roy!

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2009, 02:29:35 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
They grossly overpaid.

I do agree with most of what you said, but don't just completely discount Kyle Orton. He is no Jay Cutler, obviously, which is why there were first rounders there too.

But Orton is at least a passable quarterback at the NFL level. He's certainly better then a Rex Grossman, for example, and it's not entirely fair to overlook him by saying the Broncos need to land players with the picks that make the same impact Cutler does in Chicago.

Cutler's 86.0 to Orton's 79.0 is not a HUGE dropoff in QB rating, and Orton will certainly be the starter there. Also take into account the Marshall/Royal effect over the WR in Chicago, and Orton won't be a total stiff. Also, take into account the effect of playing behind a garbage O-line in Chicago (27 sacks to Cutler's 11) and that he's going to a better situation at least in the long term for O-Line success in Denver, I would tend to believe that the deal certainly favors Denver, which is the way the market dictated. Any deal to acquire a player that coveted had to be good for the Broncos.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
They grossly overpaid.

We disagree over Cutler's actual talent level.  I guess we will see in a few months...but I think that he benefited greatly by the surrounding cast.

I havent read that the trade offers were similar - we heard that there might have been a 3 way of some sort, and that campbell might have been included in some trade, but not that it was necessarily two firsts and campbell.  maybe it was, but I dont think so.

I think they grossly overpaid because I dont think Cutler was worth 2 first rounders.  but as I said, I guess time will tell whether he is as good as he appeared or whether the system/players inflated him (which I think)

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I havent read that the trade offers were similar - we heard that there might have been a 3 way of some sort, and that campbell might have been included in some trade, but not that it was necessarily two firsts and campbell.  maybe it was, but I dont think so.

Here's what Bears GM Jerry Angelo said:

"I feel what really facilitated this trade was Kyle was part of it. I think the draft compensation, given what I was to understand, was very similar to other teams. But they liked Kyle Orton and that was part of it. And I could see why they liked Kyle."

From the Washington Examiner:

“They had the compensation,” another NFL source said of the Redskins. “In the end they chose Orton over Campbell.”

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Here's what Bears GM Jerry Angelo said:

"I feel what really facilitated this trade was Kyle was part of it. I think the draft compensation, given what I was to understand, was very similar to other teams. But they liked Kyle Orton and that was part of it. And I could see why they liked Kyle."

From the Washington Examiner:

“They had the compensation,” another NFL source said of the Redskins. “In the end they chose Orton over Campbell.”

ehh, or maybe that was what the bronco's told the teams in order to drive a harder bargain.

If not, then the bronco's are idiots because Campbell is a much better QB then Orton - and I believe is pretty close in skill to Cutler.