Author Topic: 2016 draft - 5 picks deep  (Read 12519 times)

2016 draft - 5 picks deep
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:48 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I predicted the 2015 draft was about 10-11 picks deep.

This years draft is going to be much weaker. I'm not sure how good any of these players will be after Simmons but the drastic fall off happens after the 6th pick. Anything after that would be like picking after the lottery of last year's draft.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:31:56 PM by KeepRondo »

Re: 2016 draft - 6 picks deep
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Who are your top 6? Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Brown, Dunn, Poeltl? If so I pretty much agree with that.

Although just like every other year I expect some guys picked after the lottery to excel. I think the depth of this draft outside of those 6 will be almost completely determined by how the foreign class turns out.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'd continue to keep an eye on Labissiere.  I think he'll come on in the second half and start living up to his talent level.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Skal seems like the sort of guy who might do better in the NBA similar to how Drummond has been a much better NBA player than the player he was in college.

At the same time, I worry about his strength, and it's always dicey hoping a guy who seems like he's not wired to take over and be "the man" will suddenly flip a switch and become a core part of your team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Who are your top 6? Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Brown, Dunn, Poeltl? If so I pretty much agree with that.

Although just like every other year I expect some guys picked after the lottery to excel. I think the depth of this draft outside of those 6 will be almost completely determined by how the foreign class turns out.
I'm very iffy on Poeltl. I think someone probably still gambles on Labissiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nuINTa9lQ

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Skal seems like the sort of guy who might do better in the NBA similar to how Drummond has been a much better NBA player than the player he was in college.

At the same time, I worry about his strength, and it's always dicey hoping a guy who seems like he's not wired to take over and be "the man" will suddenly flip a switch and become a core part of your team.
I agree. He has some nice moments where you can see the potential.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

How you gonna say there are only 6 guys to draft and not say who they are? I'd put Simmons and Ingram in that top 6 for sure, and then I have a gigantic bubble. I don't like Ellenson at all, who seems to be floating up the mock draft boards into the vacuum left by Skal, Brown, and others. by default. Is Ivan Rabb on your list? Poeltl? Are you all in on old man Kris Dunn? No doubts about the Israeli bench warmer who would probably be an afterthought right now were it not for Porzingis?

Anyways, the outlook seems super fuzzy to me. Dunn looks great but I don't want him. Bender's a wildcard. Ellenson is the long lost Zeller brother. I'd like all these guys in mid-first. Brown is an Oubre-like hype freshman with huge growing pains. Jamal Murray is the next in a long line of yawn-inducing good-but-not-special point guard prospects who would probably be anonymous if he weren't at Kentucky. Korkmaz is a speculation at best, and a deep one at that.

There will be more to come into focus, I'm sure, but if you had to call it now I really don't see how you are excited about anyone near the top of this draft aside from Simmons, Ingram, Poeltl, and Rabb.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Skal seems to be the big X-factor this year if he comes out.  I agree someone will take a chance on him, the question is, how high up? 

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

How you gonna say there are only 6 guys to draft and not say who they are? I'd put Simmons and Ingram in that top 6 for sure, and then I have a gigantic bubble. I don't like Ellenson at all, who seems to be floating up the mock draft boards into the vacuum left by Skal, Brown, and others. by default. Is Ivan Rabb on your list? Poeltl? Are you all in on old man Kris Dunn? No doubts about the Israeli bench warmer who would probably be an afterthought right now were it not for Porzingis?

Anyways, the outlook seems super fuzzy to me. Dunn looks great but I don't want him. Bender's a wildcard. Ellenson is the long lost Zeller brother. I'd like all these guys in mid-first. Brown is an Oubre-like hype freshman with huge growing pains. Jamal Murray is the next in a long line of yawn-inducing good-but-not-special point guard prospects who would probably be anonymous if he weren't at Kentucky. Korkmaz is a speculation at best, and a deep one at that.

There will be more to come into focus, I'm sure, but if you had to call it now I really don't see how you are excited about anyone near the top of this draft aside from Simmons, Ingram, Poeltl, and Rabb.
I'm not saying anyone after Simmons will be a solid NBA player or someone I would be excited to get. I'm just saying there is a huge drop off after them as far as potential.

Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, Brown, Bender, Labissiere

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Skal seems to be the big X-factor this year if he comes out.  I agree someone will take a chance on him, the question is, how high up?
My guess is probably as high as 4. It's either Dunn or Labissiere there.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Poeltl went for 29-10 on the 5-2 Washington Huskies two nights ago (at the time, they were 5-1).  He's not a slouch by any means

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

interesting.  I would have pegged Simmons, Ingram, Brown and Bender as top 4.  probably Dunn and Poeltl in 5 and 6 and then Skal at some point soon after that.  I suppose it would depend on the team drafting if they want to go with a moderate ceiling/high floor player vs a high ceiling/potential bust player like Skal.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Poeltl went for 29-10 on the 5-2 Washington Huskies two nights ago (at the time, they were 5-1).  He's not a slouch by any means
There's a good chance he will be a slouch in the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

interesting.  I would have pegged Simmons, Ingram, Brown and Bender as top 4.  probably Dunn and Poeltl in 5 and 6 and then Skal at some point soon after that.  I suppose it would depend on the team drafting if they want to go with a moderate ceiling/high floor player vs a high ceiling/potential bust player like Skal.
Brown doesn't have much game. So he's someone that is going to have to develop. I think Dunn probably goes before him but if someone wants to take a chance on Brown, he probably has more long term potential.

Still either one of these guys is way ahead of anyone after the 6th pick as far as skill or potential.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Afterthought? I remember reading about Bender as a potential future lotto pick when Porzingis was being looked at in the 17-23 range of the '14 draft.

Bender's the real deal and has been for a long time. Porzingis' success, along with the success of guy like Jusuf Nurkic, Nicola Mirotic, Jonas Valanciunas, and even Enes Kanter and Alex Len have been the icing on the cake of his draft stock. They've helped to change the stigma of the Euro big man especially now that shooting and handling skills are so much more valued at the PF spot than they used to be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:53:46 PM by Smartacus »