Author Topic: 2011 Draft  (Read 19227 times)

Re: 2011 Draft
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would really love to find a trade partner in the 10-20 range and jump on a player who starts to slide. Anybody know of any teams in that range who have been rumored to be shopping their pick?

While I think there will be plenty of teams looking to trade, I just don't think the C's have the assets to do it.

I would be very surprised to see a team go hard after Avery Bradley...and I think there is better value for the C's to hold on to him a little longer to hope he can build a little value, than to use him to jump up 10 spots in a draft that is probably just as strong at 25 as it is at 15.

And beyond Bradley, there just is no one they can trade.  The only guys they could legally trade would be Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, and Jermaine Oneal, and I don't see any of those guys moved for a mid first round pick. 

I think if the C's do make a trade, it will more likely be trading down, or trading for a second rounder.

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Looking at mock drafts it seems like there will be a lot of good talent available early in the second round. I am really hoping we can grab a late first early second. If we did this I'd love to get Jeremy Tyler and Travis Leslie in this scenario. Both have a lot of physical tools (size/length, athleticism respectively)and could turn into something with the correct guidance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Looking at mock drafts it seems like there will be a lot of good talent available early in the second round. I am really hoping we can grab a late first early second. If we did this I'd love to get Jeremy Tyler and Travis Leslie in this scenario. Both have a lot of physical tools (size/length, athleticism respectively)and could turn into something with the correct guidance.

I still think a second rounder is the way to go because of the cap/roster flexibility it gives, but I agree that it would be great if the C's could grab another pick there.

I think we all want them to go big at 25 (we'll see if it happens), but then, I think there are going to be a ton of solid wings available in the early second round.

I would be happy with Leslie, Honeycut, Jimmy Butler, Malcolm Lee, or even Chandler Parsons. 

Other than Parsons (who is more of an offensive player), all of those guys have the potential to be good to great defensive players quickly, and could give Danny some much needed depth on the wing.

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I still think a second rounder is the way to go because of
the cap/roster flexibility it gives, but I agree that it would be great if the C's could grab another pick there.

I think we all want them to go big at 25 (we'll see if it happens), but then, I think there are going to be a ton of solid wings available in the early second round.

I would be happy with Leslie, Honeycut, Jimmy Butler, Malcolm Lee, or even Chandler Parsons. 

Other than Parsons (who is more of an offensive player), all of those guys have the potential to be good to great defensive players quickly, and could give Danny some much needed depth on the wing.
I'd be happy with any of the guys you listed, provided that we go big with the previous pick. After thinking about it my preference if we do buy a pick would be to grab two big men, one who is a project (Tyler) and another who is more ready to play right away (Johnson). I think it will be a good year to get rotation players late in the draft who aren't going be all stars but should help in the league.

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't quite agree with other posters that drafting Tyler Honeycutt would spell the end of Jeff Green.  I think they can coexist as SG and SF off the bench, but more than that I think Honeycutt is a few years away from contributing as much as Green.  Besides all that, a little competition never hurt...

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I don't quite agree with other posters that drafting Tyler Honeycutt would spell the end of Jeff Green.  I think they can coexist as SG and SF off the bench, but more than that I think Honeycutt is a few years away from contributing as much as Green.  Besides all that, a little competition never hurt...

In my opinion Honeycutt isn't a 3 at this stage in his career. At 187 lbs 3's would take him down to the post and absolutely demolish him.

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I agree.  Again, its a value pick.  If you think the guy is going to be good, you pick him, let him develop, and then decide what to do with him.

At the very least, if he turns out good, he could be nice leverage when negotiating with Green in 2012 if he takes the QO this summer.  

In general though, the C's are just not in a position to be drafting for need.  They are not going to be counting on any of these guys to play minutes right away, so no matter what position they play, they will be picks to build value for the future.

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So I see this on a web site:

Los Angeles Acquires: PF Kevin Love, C Darko Milicic, C Anthony Tolliver, SF Martell Webster No. 2 overall pick

Minnesota Acquires: PF Pau Gasol

Why does anyone even answer the phone when the Lakers call.  They stole Gasol from Memphis and now want the world for him.  The Lakers are screwed w/o a first round pick.  Hope the teams are smart enough to kick them when they're down!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Los Angeles Acquires: PF Kevin Love, C Darko Milicic, C Anthony Tolliver, SF Martell Webster No. 2 overall pick

Why does anyone even answer the phone when the Lakers call.  They stole Gasol from Memphis and now want the world for him.  The Lakers are screwed w/o a first round pick.  Hope the teams are smart enough to kick them when they're down!

I know they won't, but I think Minnesota should make that deal (or something similar).  Gasol would do much more to right the ship than Love or Williams (and the other guys are throw-ins).  He would be huge for Rubio's development, and he has been arguably the best big man in the league not named Howard the last 2 years. 

Make that deal, then bring in a few more veterans, and you have something to work with.

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
who have we officially gave a workout to? thanks...

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229

If David Khan makes this trade he must literally have an IQ less than 10. Your trading the best rebounder in the NBA, two serviceable centers, an abover average shooter and the number two pick for an aging power forward whose been critisized throughout his whole career for playing too soft.

If this is true there is no need for an NBA season next year. Lakers win.

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I still think a second rounder is the way to go because of the cap/roster flexibility it gives, but I agree that it would be great if the C's could grab another pick there.

The Lakers have 4 second round picks, so they should be selling.

The Clips have two, but they might keep them (Sterling is cheap).

Cleveland, Sacramento and Detroit also have two each, and the higher picks are quite attractive (32, 33, 35).

My sense is that the draft has around 40 decent players, and that the 25-40 range is pretty similar. I'd like to see Danny acquire an early 2nd round pick.

I think we will have trouble trading the 1st, given the talent in this draft and the salary commitment.

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

In my opinion Honeycutt isn't a 3 at this stage in his career. At 187 lbs 3's would take him down to the post and absolutely demolish him.

Completely agree, which is why I don't see the comparisons to Jeff Green.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
In the latest mocks from nbadraft.net and yahoo they have Bismack Biyombo slipping to 16 and 14 respectively. I would love to see us move up and grab this guy.