Author Topic: Sox trade Benintendi  (Read 8760 times)

Sox trade Benintendi
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Boston Red Sox sent Andrew Benintendi to the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday in a three-team trade that also included the New York Mets, parting with the final member of the outfield trio that helped Boston win the 2018 World Series.

The Red Sox traded Benintendi along with an unspecified amount of cash to the Royals for outfielder Franchy Cordero and two players to be named later. Boston also received minor league right-handed pitcher Josh Winckowski and a player to be named later from the Mets. The Mets received outfield prospect Khalil Lee from the Royals.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Sox trade Benintendi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The cash is believed to be $2.8 so as to receive a better return in the form of the 2 PTBNL from KC. I don't think the cash will have any influence on who they get from the Mets. All in all a disappointing return thus far. Beni was traded at his all time low value.
I really dislike the John Henry group now. Thank you for the 4 trophies but Please sell the Saux.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't really know what's going on with the Sox, but I assume this trade was done in order to save $$, because that's all that seems to motivate the Sox management anymore.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ugh...

[dang] ownership.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rather expected. Trade Benintendi and get a raft of prospects. What wasn't expected was how low level those prospects would be. Maybe it's me, but I expected better return for trading Betts and Benny than what the Sox got.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:04:07 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Rather expected. Trade Brent and get a raft of prospects. What wasn't expected was how low level those prospects would be. Maybe it's me, but I expected better return for trading Betts and Benny than what the Sox got.

It's like the teams trading with them sense that doing well / getting a good return / anything having to do with the product on the field isn't the Sox's main priority.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He helped bring home a WS - for that I am forever thankful, but he basically didn't play last year and was pretty mediocre the year before. On top of that, he is set to be a FA soon, so I guess the writing is on the wall that the Sox don't consider him part of their future.

I get it with Red Sox management, but I said after 2018 that I wasn't going to be upset for a few years no matter what happened. I guess we are in the worst case scenario of 'no matter what' at this point, but it is what it is. If in a couple of years, we re-tool and are ready to contend again, then great; but 4 WS since 2004 is awesome so I will stand by my word and not complain for at least a couple of more years.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw this last night. The trade makes no sense at all. BTW, when your the team getting "players to be named later", then you lost the trade already. I know he struggled last season, but the guy is still young and is loaded with talent. It's not like he was making $20M a season.

In 2018, the Red Sox had arguably the best defensive outfield in baseball with Betts, Benintendi and Bradley Jr.

Good thing I didn't eat my lunch yet. I just looked up the Red Sox depth chart, and almost threw up.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Let's do some thinking before we do our jumping.

There’s no way to judge this trade reasonably until we find out who the final 3 players are in this deal. Having said that, at the moment I understand why Bloom did what he did and think it has real potential to turn out well for the Sox. Yes, Benny did great things for the Sox in 2018. But Bloom is probably thinking of 2021 and beyond.

The Red Sox have more information about Benintendi than anyone. If they’re willing to trade him, that means they think the trade helps the team more than Benny does. Yes, it sucks, but that’s the only good answer I can think of.

Bloom may be thinking "Benintendi's bests years are behind him." For example:
BA    OBP   SLG   OPS  HR   BB   K     AB.      Wins Above Avg
.290   .366   .465   . 830   16  71  106   579        2.3

BA    OBP   SLG   OPS  HR  BB  K     AB Wins Above Avg
.266   .  343 .431  .774   13  59  140   541   -.2

Almost all the important stats are down, but Ks are up.

I did not include last season since it was so horrific as to be some sort of outlier. (OPS .442  :o ) But Bloom may read it differently.

And keep in mind that Benny's defense has not improved, nor his speed. They have declined. This is odd for a 25 year old OF and does not bode well going forward. As noted in this article:

"Benintendi has posted negative-2 Defensive Runs Saved in his past 1,230 ⅔ innings in left field (2019-20), after recording a positive-22 DRS in his first 2,387 ⅓ innings there from 2016-18"

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/12/red-sox-free-agency-does-andrew-benintendis-declining-defense-limit-the-mlb-free-agent-outfield-options-for-boston.html

NEXT, as for the return, I can see what the Sox are thinking.

Cordero is supposedly toolsy as heck with power and speed with the ability to play all three outfield positions, unlike Benny. The high ceiling is there. I think they plan to work with him and see what happens. It’s the kind of high upside move that Bloom has a history of making.

Now on Cordero's downside, he is gawd-awful against left handed pitchers. But, then again, in AAA he was a great hitter with power. This is a "let's wait and see" player to me.

Winckowski has a chance to stick as a starter, but worst case scenario I see a cheap major league reliever in a year or two. He’s been young for every level he’s been at, so there’s plenty of time and potential for development. A couple of other team GMs have chimed in, saying this guy is going to be a good MLB pitcher and throws hard. He played injured last season in A ball (finger on his throwing hand) and still got guys out.

2020 A Ball, 2 teams
ERA = 2.69
K/9 = 7.6
WHIP 1.2

The 3 PTBNLs will be the key. Based on the other pieces moving around, the Mets prospect will probably be the best of the three and could possibly be a pretty decent prospect. Not a top prospect, but a decent prospect nonetheless.

I believe Speier mentioned all three would end up 11-20 in the Soxprospects rankings. If you haven't seen this, go to https://soxprospects.com/index.html Lots of fun stuff there.  ;D

But also important is that is seems that Bloom won't decide WHICH players to choose until he has seen them in this upcoming minor league season. If so, that is a smart move by him. He wants to gather more info before deciding.

This is something Bloom is known for - building up the minor leagues. The results have been eventual talent as they graduate, and, immediate talent by trading them away.

So, Bloom (1) turned one player with 2 years of service time left (Benny) into a major league outfielder with a high ceiling/high risk OF with 3 (I think) years of service time (Cordero),

(2) a potential starter (probably reliever) that’ll slide somewhere in Soxprospects ranking of 20-30 if I had to guess, and

(3) three probable top 20 Sox prospects.

That’s the glass half full picture but that’s a pretty good trade if it works out. If, if, if.

And if nothing else, at least we have the 2018 Benny memories.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
He helped bring home a WS - for that I am forever thankful, but he basically didn't play last year and was pretty mediocre the year before. On top of that, he is set to be a FA soon, so I guess the writing is on the wall that the Sox don't consider him part of their future.

I get it with Red Sox management, but I said after 2018 that I wasn't going to be upset for a few years no matter what happened. I guess we are in the worst case scenario of 'no matter what' at this point, but it is what it is. If in a couple of years, we re-tool and are ready to contend again, then great; but 4 WS since 2004 is awesome so I will stand by my word and not complain for at least a couple of more years.

TP for having some perspective on how hard it is to actually win a WS.

The Sox went 86 YEARS without one, and have been the best team of the 21st century, and yet people are enraged at ownership?

These are the same fans who cheered on Dombrowski as he emptied are farm, and now they are ticked because we actually need to restock the farm.

This club wasn't going anywhere. The luxury tax problem was real and was going to hamstring the team for the next decade if it wasn't resolved. The team wasn't good enough to win, and we didn't have any flexibility left. This is what happens when you spend money like a drunken sailor in pursuit or championships. And that's not an entirely bad thing. The high-priced mercenaries helped to push us over the top. But there is a long-term cost to being rich, as the taxes do eventually come due.

In a 2-3 years the team will be contending again with a bunch of exciting, homegrown players, and all of this will be forgotten.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 02:47:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
delete
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:48:49 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 02:52:55 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It is hard to believe we had an all star outfield in 2018 that is now gone(assuming Bradley will sign elsewhere based off comments our new GM has made). Not sure why we could not have been the Dodgers with a high payroll but I guess the owners had no choice but to get under the tax line since they are starving(enter sarcasm emoji here). Now we have to build a new all star outfield I guess.

They lost confidence in him and jettisoned him. Time will tell who the other players to be named later are but we will watching them in the minors and picking from a list from both teams it sounds like. He does know how to build a farm system and our last GM got us 2018 but destroyed our farm system in the process as well as saddling us with some horrible contracts(hindsight).

Sox will be putrid this coming year unless our former magical coach can inspire them to overachieve. You never know I guess.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I don't really know what's going on with the Sox, but I assume this trade was done in order to save $$, because that's all that seems to motivate the Sox management anymore.

This is all expected.  Follow Dave Dombrowski's career and you'll see that he leaves franchises in shambles.  He pillaged our minors on trades and then signed some bad contracts.  heck, I feel like it was Rick Pitino all over again.

So Bloom has to come in, make hard but required choices to restock.

There is a bottom to it, and aside from Bradley, I think we've hit it.  Now it's time to take what he has dealt for, and put it together.  The future lineup ha the potential to be great:  Devers, Bogarts, Downs, 1B (they have a few good ones), Wong, Verdugo, 2 more OF.  That's a really good core.  SP could be shaky for a little while, at least until Sale is back.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The Sox went 86 YEARS without one, and have been the best team of the 21st century, and yet people are enraged at ownership?

These are the same fans who cheered on Dombrowski as he emptied are farm, and now they are ticked because we actually need to restock the farm.

This club wasn't going anywhere. The luxury tax problem was real and was going to hamstring the team for the next decade if it wasn't resolved. The team wasn't good enough to win, and we didn't have any flexibility left. This is what happens when you spend money like a drunken sailor in pursuit or championships. And that's not an entirely bad thing. The high-priced mercenaries helped to push us over the top. But there is a long-term cost to being rich, as the taxes do eventually come due.

In a 2-3 years the team will be contending again with a bunch of exciting, homegrown players, and all of this will be forgotten.

They had one of the best players under 30 in the league and traded him for very little because of $$, then we all got to watch that guy help the Dodgers win a WS the next year.

This ownership group is never earning back my trust after that. Plain and simple.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 04:39:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

They had one of the best players under 30 in the league and traded him for very little because of $$, then we all got to watch that guy help the Dodgers win a WS the next year.

This ownership group is never earning back my trust after that. Plain and simple.
let me quibble.

in that trade, the Red Sox got: Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs, and Connor Wong from the Dodgers.

• Verdugo is a very good outfielder and very young.
    Downs is ranked the SECOND BEST prospect in the Red Sox system right now.
    Wong is considered the BEST catching prospect in the minor league system.
Mookie was not resigning with Boston. What the Sox received was more than "very little."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva