Author Topic: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...  (Read 30248 times)

Re: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
While I might agree with the Indians, Redskins, and others with those generic names being dropped, I don't see and issue with Chief's, Warriors, Braves, etc.  They're names that are on a more spectacular platform, we're Warriors!  Maybe they change a look and feel of the logo, but that's about it.

In theory, they play on the Cuyahoga River, Cleveland Cuyahoga's.

Seriously, here are the past team names.

Cleveland Indians (1915–present)
Cleveland Naps (1903–1914)
Cleveland Broncos (1902)
Cleveland Bluebirds (1901)
Cleveland Lake Shores (1900)
Grand Rapids Rustlers (1894–1899)

I'm thinking, go OG, Cleveland Rustlers.

Apparently they were the “Molly Maguires” for awhile, starting in 1912 or so.  That strikes me as naming your team the Pinkertons, but there’s probably some relevant history I’m missing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Let's hope they come up with something better than the Cavaliers :o

Cleveland Browns maybe Cleveland Maroons?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:13:45 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I’d go Cleveland Rockers (birthplace of rock and roll). I know it’s similar to the Rockies but so be it.

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 11:46:05 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I’d go Cleveland Rockers (birthplace of rock and roll). I know it’s similar to the Rockies but so be it.

Hey -- that's good.  When I "visited" Cleveland a few years ago for a conference, the one thing everyone said was to go to the R&R Hall of Fame.  Mostly I thought they said it because there was nothing else to do.  Unfortunately I didn't make to the HoF but I do think it's something that Cleveland identifies with. 

Cleveland DJ Alan Freed -- despite (or result of?) the 'payola' scandal -- was influential in getting rock and roll named and on the map. 

Cleveland Rockers is a great idea.

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Irish people were oppressed and trade as slaves (or indentured servants).

So we will see Boston basketball team in a year or 2

Probably not. But I think it does speak to the reality -- like it or not -- that different people have different reactions to things.  Observers can choose whether or not to take others' points of view to heart or whether to dismiss them.  Bottom line for me is that it almost never hurts to hear someone's perspective and it's usually pretty easy to avoid offending someone if that matters to you.
A lot of it I think is if you choose to be offended.  Some just do and it's in their nature to feel slighted about everything.

I think you could hold onto Cleveland Indians if you dump that stupid mascot, which I can see being offensive. Atlanta Braves may not be offensive, but to me the Tomahawk Chop sure as heck is.

If anyone wants to mount the argument that the Celtics logo is offensive, I'd say they have issues.

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Every sports team at every level should just go with their city's version of this:

Here's the mascot, which every team would have:

And while we're at it, just make every player in every sport where the same nondescript thing; here's what every team would look like celebrating after a great play:

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 03:56:02 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

Rockers is a great idea you should write to somebody??
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Irish people were oppressed and trade as slaves (or indentured servants).

So we will see Boston basketball team in a year or 2

Probably not. But I think it does speak to the reality -- like it or not -- that different people have different reactions to things.  Observers can choose whether or not to take others' points of view to heart or whether to dismiss them.  Bottom line for me is that it almost never hurts to hear someone's perspective and it's usually pretty easy to avoid offending someone if that matters to you.
A lot of it I think is if you choose to be offended.  Some just do and it's in their nature to feel slighted about everything.

I think you could hold onto Cleveland Indians if you dump that stupid mascot, which I can see being offensive. Atlanta Braves may not be offensive, but to me the Tomahawk Chop sure as heck is.

If anyone wants to mount the argument that the Celtics logo is offensive, I'd say they have issues.

I don't think there's any doubt that some folks are offended at the drop of a hat.   Discerning what is legitimately offensive on a broad scale probably will always have something to do with logic, and something to do with the number/volume of those feeling offended.   I admit that there have been times when I didn't understand (more personal moments rather than "group offense") why something was offensive but with explanation came to a better understanding.  I do believe  that opting not to offend people in my personal life is both worth it and really not all that difficult to achieve. 

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2020, 04:39:22 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm pretty sure Indians was objected to because it is an incorrect label. Columbus called what we now know as Native American tribes "Indians" because he thought he'd landed in India. For some reason the label stuck and has been caricatured to death. It'd be like if someone from Asia landed in the US today, called us "Mexicans," then took over our land and started a sports team called "The Mexicans" with someone like a caricatured Trump or Obama as a mascot.

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
... the Indians are no more.

Personally, I never found “Indians” to be offensive.  Chief Wahoo, yes.  Seeming slurs like “Redskins”, yes.  But names like “Seminoles”, “Sioux”, and the more general “Indians” weren’t inherently offensive to me.

"Indians" is offensive (regardless of sports teams) because we aren't people from India. 
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Stupid!! I’m part Indian and I’m not offended by the name..Grandma was Cherokee..

And therefore, you speak for all indigenous people?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I could be wrong, but I read that people had been protesting at Cleveland's game since the 70's to change their name and mascot. If that is the case, this is not something new that some people are making it out to me. It seems that this year there has been just enough traction from a movement to actually succeed in these changes. Granted, these protests were probably not very big in the year's past but, like Washington Redskins, people have been advocating this for some time.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 05:33:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

Rockers is a great idea you should write to somebody??
Although I didn't check any names before I posted that, I guess it's already been thought of and was also the Cleveland WNBA team from 1997-2003. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cleveland-indians-to-change-team-name-here-are-some-of-the-best-options-including-spiders-and-crows/

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I once dated a girl whose grandfather was the artist who created the Chief Wahoo mascot.  Or so she said.

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... the Indians are no more.

Personally, I never found “Indians” to be offensive.  Chief Wahoo, yes.  Seeming slurs like “Redskins”, yes.  But names like “Seminoles”, “Sioux”, and the more general “Indians” weren’t inherently offensive to me.

"Indians" is offensive (regardless of sports teams) because we aren't people from India.

Eh.  Aboriginal people are going to be given names by settlers.  It’s been 500 years.  I’m sure the original settlers in Ireland didn’t initially want to be called “Irish”, either.

If that type of thing is taking up space in somebody’s head, they’re doing life wrong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes